The mother of all Man Cave auctions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: The mother of all Man Cave auctions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 09:03 pm:

On The local St. Louis news:
http://kplr11.com/2016/10/19/this-might-be-the-mammoth-of-all-man-cave-auctions/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 09:15 pm:

More info here:

http://www.stjamesauction.com/

St. James, MO is right next to Rolla, MO, where I went to college.

I'm tempted to go just to look at all of it, I doubt I would buy much of anything. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 12:29 am:

"Man Cave" ???

Isn't that where men go to meet other men ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 10:26 am:

The "Man Cave" is a really just a "He-man Woman Hater's Club." By-the-way: I recently ask my wife,"If the man's room is the Man-Cave, then what is the woman's special room called?" Her answer was, "The rest of the house!"

This auction doesn't seem that exciting to me. It looks like a lot of the same stuff I see at antique malls all the time. There doesn't seem to be many rare or unique items.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 10:58 am:

I hate that term. It usually describes a room/garage/basement that's stuffed full of beer signs, Snap-On calendars, workbenches that are antiseptically clean, neon crap, brand new tool boxes filled with unused brand new tools and a smelly sofa poised in front of a flat screen TV.

Show me a "cave" loaded with stuffed workbenches, machinery with metal chips all over them, dirty tools and car parts in various stages of repair and I'll start to get interested.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 11:06 am:

Jerry, you're describing a garage which is about right for a true man cave anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 11:11 am:

Looks to me like a pretty wonderful auction. They are only showing a small percentage of what is there if it is going to take 3 days to do it. There is probably several hundred thousand dollars there, some rare and interesting stuff and like always, some things that are pretty common. I'd liked to have met the old guy selling out and had him show me through it all before the auction. But then I like auctions and like rare, early pedal cars, Cushman motor scooters, signs and all that fun stuff.

Over 250,000 items and the auction run by one of the best in the business, Ray Maynard!!! Sounds like a great weekend to me. Unfortunately, I didn't know about this so won't be there.

This is a live auction, not some on-line thing where you sit home and stare at your computer for hours.

"This collection began over 70 years ago by a 15 year old boy with a love for cars and everything associated with it. After amassing probably the largest personal automotive and toy collection in the U.S. this lone collector of now 87 years old has now decided its now time to sell sell sell!.."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 11:43 am:

Well said, Jerry!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 01:05 pm:

Jerry pegged my sentiments exactly. Kinda like how real cowboys don't wear all
that flashy "cowboy garb". It is just the fool wannabes that overdo it, and ALWAYS
miss the mark because they really aren't that person inside.

But if the guy selling the fake signs and Coca Cola junk can make lots of money
convincing fools that they can be something they're not by purchasing "all the right
Man Cave" junk, then you bet, they are going to push it. And boy, are there a lot of
boobs out there who suck that stuff up !

I liken this to the guys who dig Chevelles and Novas. It never occurs to them that
all they are is man magnets. Like hanging around with other dudes ? Get a Chevelle !
A friend has his contrived red GMC truck, typical boring red Harley (with THE SKULL
PACKAGE - he never fails to point this "feature" out), and is perpetually haunting the
usual places to find that "perfect" red Chevelle (or similar man magnet), and of course,
shares all this good intel with anyone who will listen.

Dude, ... I don't give two sh!ts about your #@! plastic GMC truck, or your boring late
model Harley, and I sure as hell don't have any interest talking about how fast a Chevelle
can go, or some Edelbrock intake and carb ! You just go on parading about with your
phony macho BS so that "everyone knows" you don't prefer the company of other men.
You are not fooling this observer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 01:41 pm:

The city airport here is looking for grant monies to spruce up the place. The FAA is coming down on them because many of the hangers have become "man caves" with couches large screen TVs, etc. etc. The FAA claims the hangers must be used for aircraft and aircraft parts storage. This effects me because the city was allowing us to store some of the Theatre Pipe organ parts in one small hanger, about a single-car garage amount of stuff. But, now we have to find another place to keep them until we start the restoration and installation in the historic theater (also a city-owned--but not managed--facility).
Hmm, T content?? Well, it does have a Klaxon horn!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 01:44 pm:

Okay,...I admit it! I'm old, old-fashioned, set in my ways, and for the most part, at age 75, probably pretty well fit the description,... "grumpy ol' fart"! But I agree with Jerry, R.V. and Burger, except that I never call anybody "dude". I hate most of these recently over-used terms like "man cave". And I still (and always will) greet folks by saying "hi" or "hello". I don't greet ANYBODY by saying "hey"! That's dumb! Also, I hate "buzz words" and terms like "price point"! To me, there's just too much "change", just for the sake of "change". To me, torque was always measured in foot-pounds,....why is it now becoming "pound-feet"??? And then my number one pet peeve! "LIKE" talk! Seems like that started with high school shopping mall mentality girls that has now become so prevalent that men are using it too! Don't tell me what you're "like",... just SAY IT for heaven's sake! I guess I just hate all this "modern" terminology. I mean,..... did you ever actually have anyone tell you that they are getting ready to actually go to a "gala celebration"? Or that they just "came from" a "gala celebration"?

Okay,...I'll shut up now, but everybody just needs to "unload" once in awhile, right? Guess i could say,...."just say'n",.... but I won't! ......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 03:23 pm:

Gee Harold, Like, you know, I think, you know, you're like "right on", You know??
:-)
Yes, I agree 100%! Or, in modern parlance, "dittos!"
(You know?)
Oh, yeah, "me and them" is gonna do sumpin'." Egads, Mrs. Hale would have me writing 100 times on the black board, "They and I"--probably 200 times!
Young folks just ain't taught no good grammar!
Heck, I'm not even near 75 and I'm already "grumpy" Oh well, I've just read that after age 72 under Obamacare, I'm ready for the grave.
T'ake care,
David D.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 03:52 pm:

Can't a guy like both?

(old picture... sold that T a 3 years ago, and tore the Chevelle apart for upgrades 6 years ago)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 04:30 pm:

Derek,
I see your problem right away--there are two cars in the garage and NOTHING ELSE!! Oh, wait, I see a ladder on the back wall. . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 04:55 pm:

That picture was when I first moved into that house in 2003, right after I finished college. I have since moved to a place in the country with about 6x the garage space and I'm out of space again. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 05:05 pm:

David - I wonder what "Mrs. Hale" would have thought if she'd heard you say something like,...."I should have went to get some of those ones"!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 05:11 pm:

Sorry Herb,....my apologies for my part in "derailing" your thread, but sometimes is doesn't take much to get an ol' fart like me started on a rant,..... harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 06:00 pm:

No apology needed Harold. I was just using the description of man cave from the website.
I do know one guy that I see often who will address someone with "What up dawg?"
The first time I heard that I'm sure I had a puzzled look on my face.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard L Grzegorowicz on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 06:29 pm:

you guys should visit what I call MY TOY BOX,one model t with some dust on it BUT just got retarded and now have a LITTLE time in between the honey do list to hopefuly geterdone or at least hear it rattle some before the grass gets above my feet. man cave? ###@%%^$&!!its a place where some one that don't work or pay taxes goes to brag about [you cant afford that] so move on.I wish I had the funds to go see those wonderfull cars of yesteryear and congradulate each and every one of you that lost sleep over spending that big buck to save a truly wonderfull part of the American way of life..YES I LOVE MY WIFE BUT I ALSO LOVE MY 21 T TOO.Greg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 09:12 pm:

This is exactly why I dont encourage anybody to stop by and see one of the largest collections of accessory model t carburetors anywhere, my toys, my guitars, my collector tractors, my willy s jeeps,my Montana branding iron collection going back historic 1880s, my extensive and early collection of singing cowboy songbook and sheet music or anything else I worked and saved to buy. There is always somebody more than willing to badmouth anything and anybody. I've heard that bull all my life and don't need any more of it. Is it any wonder this hobby attracts so few young people? The last thing I would want to do if I was 25 instead of 75 is listen to this .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 10:42 pm:

Harold,
I wouldn't have dared!! :-) However, in High school I developed a triple negative sentence I pulled on Mrs. Day (HS English teach). I don't know that she appreciated my creativity.

Stan, I wouldn't show your stuff to anyone but folks you know well, there's too many stick fingers & sticky semis around nowadays, if you catch my meaning.
Sad, isn't it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 11:48 pm:

Agree with Stan. They're selling some excellent items. If I had hot & cold running money I'd be there. But I don't, so I'm devoting my limited resources to Model T stuff.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration