Flat Tire Poll

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Flat Tire Poll
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 01:20 am:

Of those who have suffered a flat tire due to puncture, how many times has that happened to you?

Of those who have suffered punctures, how many miles per year do you put on your Model T?

Of those who have suffered punctures how long have you owned an operating Model T?

----------------------------------------------------------------

Of those lucky folks who have never suffered a puncture, how many miles do you drive your Model T per year?

Of those lucky folks who have never experienced a puncture, how many years have you owned an operating Model T?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 02:39 am:

How about a non puncture blow out (one with one averted) or rim cutting valve stem (1 driving a friends car tire was a little low). 2002, 55-60 tire pressure, maybe a 1000 miles a year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 02:48 am:

Only once for me. I drive about 1500 miles per year, on average.
The puncture occurred in my own driveway because a loose upholstery tack from the door trim fell between the gap in the floorboards and landed right under the tyre where I parked it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 06:17 am:

I've had two blowouts in 52 years. On both occasions it was due to expecting to get the last ounce of use out of some old tyres. The bang is frightening.
In all those years I have never had a rim cut. There have been a few rubber valve stems parting company with their brass inners, easily fixed with a replacement metal stem. The odd patch has lifted, but I cannot remember an actual puncture.

One incident I well remember was a slow leaking valve which let the pressure down and led to the tyre departing the rim and rolling down the road. We were around 700km into a 4500km trip to Perth in Western Australia. It was a re-enactment of a journey made by a Victorian family during the depression of the 1930's. In the support party were a city safety officer and a shire works foreman. While we replaced the tyre, they debated the angle and spacing of the safety cones they had put out on the roadside!

On that trip we drove the T one way, and it was trailered home. Previously, we had driven the same route over and back in the same car, on the same tyres, without ever having a flat.

Allan from down under.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 07:47 am:

Bob,

I've been riding around in Model T's since I was an infant. That's getting close to 60 years, untold thousands of miles, countless tours. Never had a flat caused by a puncture, ever. I think a puncture would be the least likely type of flat tire in the modern era with no horses dropping nails everywhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tt newbee Thomas R. Hicks Central Va. on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 08:14 am:

Are Model T tires more likely to get a puncture than a modern car's tires?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 08:25 am:

no puncture! I did however have a valve stem rip and it went flat real quick! :-( only been enamoured by T's since 2000.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 08:36 am:

No punctures but valve stem rip which was my fault for not checking pressure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 08:43 am:

I have had one puncture, and averted one rim cut blow out when I noticed an egg shaped bulge in the sidewall before it let go. I drive between 1,500 and 2,000 miles a year and have owned Model T's for more than 55 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 09:40 am:

I believe an earlier thread I started "Which Tires Would YOU Use" triggered Bob's starting this one.

I have to admit that I've not ever had a flat tire in a Model T, even as a passenger. We've driven the touring about 1200 miles, and the only tire grief is the driver's side rear has a slow leak.

I suppose it's the non-experienced efforts I'd expend in removing a deflated tube at the side of the road, or in a parking lot. My guess is that it would produce bursts of laughter from anyone watching.

I've watched the video on how to change the clincher, non-demountable rimmed tire & tube; wow, these guys make it look EASY!

In any case, I believe I've made the decision about "which tires to use" on this project; I'll be posting a WTB in the classifieds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 10:34 am:

In three years of driving my '24 with demountable rims (a little less than 1000 miles/year), I have had one flat caused by running over a roofing nail. It was a rear tire, and by the time I pulled over the tire had nearly dismounted itself from the rim. I put on the spare and drove home. The tire was OK, but the tube was cut in several places from the near-dismount event and was not repairable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 11:52 am:

By far the biggest cause of flats over the years for me has been defective tubes. Solved that problem when I replaced them with USA-made Goodyears. I think I've suffered maybe 3 punctures since 1983.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 12:05 pm:

I have not had any flats on my 3 Model T's. The first one, a 26 Roadster has the same times which have been on it for 28 years. The tread is wearing down and might soon need to be replaced, but the sidewalls are not cracked. The car has been garaged except for tours. I probably put on between 1,000 to 2,000 per year. Those are INSA tires (hecho en Chile) I haven't seen that brand for sale for a long time, but they are very good tires. The second car is a 26 Touring. I have Bedford tires purchased from Lucas tire in 2003. Those are still good. This car gets about the same number miles as the Roadster. Sidewalls are good on this car too. The third car a 22 Roadster with demountable 30X3 1/2 has Riverside tires From Lucas Tire. Also no problems.

The attached picture of a Model A out in the desert near Baker Ca will show you how to get 4 flat tires! Went off roading on our honeymoon and ran over cactus. They were ruined being full of needles just kept working their way into the tubes.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 12:12 pm:

John H, I had the exact same thing happen this summer, a tack from the front door fell out in the garage and I run over it but I got away from home before it went flat. Two times I have lost a tire from cheap tubes loosing air. The first time, the tire come off the outside of the rim on the left front and it put me in the left lane before I knew what happened. So don't go thinking that a flat on a T is no big deal because if a car was coming I would have hit it head on. The second time was last year on the Branson tour, the left rear tire came completely off. No big deal, just went out in woods and found the tire, put a new tube in and stayed on the tour.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heavner on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 02:00 pm:

I had a flat. Bad valve stem. I have owned my Model T a little over a year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 02:10 pm:

Agree with RV, the biggest problem I have had is the rubber valve stems falling apart as they get old. I have started to replace all of the rubber stems with original metal valve stems on all my cars so I won't have this problem ever again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Beatty _Kansas City on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 02:15 pm:

So where does one find USA-made Goodyear tubes? I don't see the manufacture's named in the catalogs. Can I just go to my local Goodyear dealer and order tubes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willard Revaz on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 02:39 pm:

I typically drive 3 Ts each more than 500 miles a year. Have had 2 non-demountable flats within a 20 year period (1 nail discovered in my garage) and 2 valve stem related demountable wheel flats while on the road. That's 4 tire problems in over 30,000 miles! I try to avoid driving long distances in the shoulder or breakdown lane (to allow traffic to pass) where nails and puncture items reside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 02:44 pm:

30 years of my own T's - no flats.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis R on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 03:21 pm:

I was going to take my wife for her first ride in "our" Model T. Got it started, got in the cab, wife got in and "POW!" the right rear tire blew out. We just sat there looking at each other like Stan and Ollie. Was running a vintage set of Western Auto "Giant Cord" tires at the time. I have never had a flat tire due to a puncture, two due to the valve stems pulling out and that's about it. Not too bad for 10 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 03:23 pm:

Goodyear has not made any clincher tire size tubes in the USA perhaps in the last twenty years. There might be some 4.50 / 4.75 X 21 tubes made in USA by someone, probably not Goodyear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 04:03 pm:

In a little over 30 years, I've had three tire failures all blowouts from stem failure, two were likely under pressure and not sure why the third failed. No puncture failures and typically 1500 to 2000 miles per year with a nice bit of dirt and gravel roads along the way. I'm on my fourth set of tires on my speedster which has seen every type of road conditions and never had a flat (knocking on wood now).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 04:19 pm:

I am starting to see a pattern here. Three of us here have stuck a tack or a nail in our tires before we even left the garage. I think I am going to sweep the garage floor tonight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 04:35 pm:

I have been driving Pre-15 cars since 1958 and a model T for the past 17 years. Have been very active with the HCCA and model T groups. Have had only one tire failure and that was due to a loose lock ring that came off (1905 REO). Had 2 model T high pressure stem leaks that were fixed on tour with a loop of lock wire around the base of the stem.
I run flaps on all my cars.....some hate them.....but I love them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 04:44 pm:

Ya my blow out was less then a block from home. Yes on the big BOOM! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 08:40 pm:

The only flat tire that I have had occurred at work. I was showing my last period band class my Model T when one of the kids remark that I had a flat rear tire. Fortunately for me, a friend of mine was about 30 minutes away when I called and just happened to have his trailer hooked to his SUV. We loaded it up and we drove it to my house. The cause - a burr in the split rim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 10:31 pm:

I haven't driven thousands of miles, so I've had only one flat. It was an exciting blowout. I heard a loud bang and saw my tire roll off and disappear in a wheat field.

At first I thought it was from a sharp rim cut, but from the looks of the tube I'd say probably low pressure leading to stem damage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By samuel pine on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 09:29 am:

As a retired cop, the present night shift guys hang out at
my shop. So they say what in hell you doing riding
around after midnight? Not me its my youngest son
Mikey since he got his claws on it. Just this year
from say 90% tires this kid wore em them down to canvas then comes the bang. I rather get a nail or
something. I aint buying tires for stupid $$ this
kid gotta job I am fixed income. I have one car the
only modern car, a 46 Super Deluxe with all new
6-00-16's; next ya know one is flat. Take apart
all is new and good. I can't find no tube leak,
dunked it soaped it? Took it to local tire guy and
two seconds & patched. They said looks like a flaw
from mfg. How much? ah don't worry bout it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 11:54 am:

I put new tires and tubes (30 X 3 1/3) on my express delivery approximately five years ago. In he past year, while parked in the garage, all four tubes failed over the course of a few months. Upon inspection, each failed at the joint between the tube and the rubber valve stem. Diagnosis? Crappy quality of production and materials. The tubes were obtained from Lucas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 12:04 pm:

One puncture in 11 years of driving. Two rim cuts in that time. I put a new rim on whenever I put a new tire on now. I'm guessing 1000 miles a year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 03:09 pm:

When we were driving the '28 A we were logging about 200-300 miles a week (our only driver). In a year we had 1 flat and it was due to a bad valve stem.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration