American made lighting components

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: American made lighting components
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 09:09 am:

Hello, I'm contemplating adding turn signals to my '26 Touring. Does anyone know of a source for US-made lighting components that are appropriate for the task? All I see is Chinese crap beehive lights, bulbs, etc. and there is something so wrong about slathering my T with such dross. I'd pay more for stuff made here if necessary. I know of the Little Egypt Garage's setup but I prefer front signals as well.

Thank you,
Zach Dillinger

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 09:33 am:

I still use hand signals! They are quite appropriate for a Model T. I'm not sure on this, but turn signals weren't standard equipment until the sixties?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 09:49 am:

The hand signals have worked ok for me so far but there was a close call in which I was signaling for a left turn and the woman behind me thought I was telling her to go around me... luckily I was paying more attention that she was.

I know turn signals aren't period correct, which rankles me a little, but I just don't trust the other drivers around me to go without them much longer. Same with a working brake light that did last week.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 09:56 am:

Yeah Larry. But hand signals are not taught in drivers ed any more and have been removed from the drivers handbook in many states so in the tradition of dumbing down America many younger drivers wonder what you are doing are you giving them the go ahead to pass? I'm with Zachary if nothing else for self preservation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 09:57 am:

Not trying to be grumpy about it...

But to do what you want you can spend a few years accumulating later era parts from flea markets etc. and not actually wind up where you want (Been there, done that),

or,

you can descend into the world of buying some of your so-called Chinese junk that really isn't all that bad, and having all of the parts next week. (Been there, done that too)

(Sorry, the wiring photo's show a Fun Projects stop light switch. I believe John sources USA wherever possible)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 10:05 am:

Hi George, no worries about being grumpy, I don't take it that way at all. I'm aware of those two options which is why I asked about the third option: new, available next week, components made here and not overseas. If no one has a source then I will be forced to use the Chinese stuff until I piece together the components to follow your Option 1 (which is the long term goal regardless, to piece together an attractive system from old parts).

Perhaps my statement of "Chinese crap" is too strong; I'm sure they work well and will be ok if I am forced to use them. I just don't like the idea of spending money there if I have an option to spend money on components made here. That's all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John L Williams on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 10:32 am:

Hi From Iowa! Just a quick comment. My Sons & Grandson & I ran in the '16 Great Race from CA to Ill in June. Our turn signals in our '36 Railton were a mess so we put on the wireless Egypt Garage signals!! They worked perfectly & made us FEEL safe the whole 2,400 miles! I would also prefer signals on the front, but it is the drivers in the rear that are the most important ones to let know your intentions! The plus is I can easily move the signals to any old car I am using! Thanks for listening to my opinion! John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 10:39 am:

Try simi truck suppliers. Good quality and a lot of the lenses are glass. I've used old truck marker lights before also. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 11:02 am:

Pretty much what George said. My tail lights came from JC Whitney but they stopped carrying them. Believe the bigger parts houses we deal with have them. Supposedly Model A. Closest to "period" and still look like the chimps that talk behind you can recognize as stop/tail/turn lights. Totally removable as I installed them. Home made brackets in existing holes. Highly recommend the Fun Projects stop light switch kit. You can't make it for that price. Acorn lights in front mounted under the head light stalk nuts. A word of warning since I added them years back expecting a result. I got practically none. It didn't affect the way the majority of drivers reacted at all. In fact, (coincidence ?), the 2 worst things that ever happened to me on the open road occurred on my first trip out with my new 'safety devices" installed & in use. Their mostly for your peace of mind. Use 'em but don't rely on them sending any messages to others.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration