Old Photo - Model T Era - El Reno Oklahoma Town Gathering

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Model T Era - El Reno Oklahoma Town Gathering
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 09:32 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 10:03 am:

Wow, Look at those glass insulators on that power pole!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 10:09 am:

Everyone came to town to see the delivery of the new ice box to the Medlock Grocery store.

The grocer is being run out of town because of high prices and bad meat.

Auction perhaps?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn Hayward on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 10:20 am:

HISTORY , SOME THINGS I FOUND --https://casetext.com/case/el-reno-mill-elev-co-v-medlock-groc-co

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 11:21 am:

My question is that a power pole telephone pole,or a combination of both?? If i remember right the telephone was the one with many wires and insulators?? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 11:38 am:

That is a telephone pole. The early telephone lines were individual 2 wire circuits with insulators at every crossarm. In areas with many telephones such as business districts, there would be many crossarms. Later the cables were developed with up to 3600 individual lines in one cable.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 11:42 am:

Along the cross street you can see an example of an early telephone cable which is suspended by rings from a steel messenger cable. Those old cables had lead sheath around the individual pairs which were insulated with paper.
(retired former telephone cable splicer and engineer)
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 11:56 am:

Can you spot any women in the crowd ? Whatever was going on, it must have been a guy thing.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 12:04 pm:

dick they are hard to see but they are there, i see at least 12 . charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 12:43 pm:

I think those are just men, dressed as women. There are always a few in every crowd ! ;-)

Yes, that is phone, and THAT is the exchange pole. If you look closely, you will see the heavy
lead sheathed cable on the carrier coming toward the photographer (from pole to left center
of photo) carrying the lines into the exchange building where the switchboards and operators
were located.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 06:52 pm:

Charley,

At least we know the scene wasn't a hanging. Every old picture I've ever seen of a hanging audience seems to include scads of women and children.

Never did understand that. Maybe moms trying to give their kids an object lesson to make them behave.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 06:59 pm:

sausage party

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 07:52 pm:

Whatever is happening is focused on the platform.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard C. Sullivan on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 10:29 pm:

Making the 1st onion burger which ElReno is know for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 02:47 pm:

I think it's a hanging?? When I was a kid I saw a black man hanging in a tree in Caney Kansas. My cousin said he would not step off the sidewalk for a white woman?? I'll never forget that. Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 02:53 pm:

Speaking of the Wedloch grocery store, There was a town with that name and they had a maternity hospital just outside of the city limits.

happy pig

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration