Query about transporting from north America to Europe.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Query about transporting from north America to Europe.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glascott Symes on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 01:06 pm:

Has anyone brought a T or any vehicle from America or Canada into England or Ireland?
Did you have to organise ever part of the shipping process or are the companies that do door to door transport service?
What sort of cost is involved with this?

xz69

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Dill on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 01:35 pm:

Freight Forwarder is the way to do it. There are 2 ways to ship overseas by ship - container and RORO (Roll On Roll Off). The latter is considerably more expensive than container. I'm sure you can find a freight forwarder who can help find shared space in a container.

The actual cost of shipping the container is frighteningly inexpensive. Most of the expense is the first and last mile - as in fees paid on the dock. There's seemingly someone holding their hand out for your money at every corner. Even if Customs decides they want to X-Ray inspect your vehicle, they charge you for the xRay fee. I had to pay this once on a boat I imported. Delayed receipt of boat by a couple weeks and cost me $1,000. Can you imagine the TSA charging you if they decide they want to look inside your carryon? I digress.

It was years ago, but to ship boats, I was paying $5,000 - $7,000 of which $1,000 was the actual freight cost paid for the actual movement overseas.

Not all freight forwarders are the same. I would get quotes from a few and see if you can Google a couple who specialize in auto transport. There's also the issue of where the car is located. Getting it to the port can be a significant factor. There is a website called U-Ship.com that allows you to post a shipping request and shippers will "bid" on the job. You can often use this to take advantage of "unused" or "extra" space on someone else's shipment. I've had cars and boats shipped around the US using this service and it's worked out great. I don't know if UShip offers the ability to create an overseas request.

Good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale wcisel on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 02:40 pm:

I have a friend that owns the shipping company called ANTRAC, based in Ontario,Canada. They are a family run business, ship to the UK quite regularly and are well acquainted with loading and carefully securing antique vehicles.
Give Terry a call at 1-519-335-4191 or visit their website at antracservices.com
I know he has sent at least one Model TT stake truck to Ireland in the past few years...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glascott Symes on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 02:53 pm:

I'm just sounding out options at the moment really. The most daunting thing about this is trying to do from the other side of the world, which is why I was curious about a door to door service.
I might get lucky and find a seller willing to help with shipping arrangements.
I have heard containerised shipping can be very cheap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glascott Symes on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 02:54 pm:

Thanks Dale, I'll give them a look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glascott Symes on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 09:38 am:

When using freight forwarders are you expected to have the car packed in any way. Like in a container or some form of shipping case.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Dill on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 09:56 am:

Have a look at this site.

http://www.uship.com/eu/car-transporters/

It's designed to help inexperienced shippers get a shipment done. I mentioned U-Ship above. After your last question, I did a quick google search of "transport car to Europe", and U-Ship was the first non-paid result.

Turns out they can handle overseas shipping as well. I think that a benefit here is that you have a good chance of talking to the actual person who will be handling the shipping. What I do know is that the car will have to be emptied of fuel before shipping. Then getting it into a container is always a question. Does it run, will someone be there who knows how to drive a T? Then a matter of strapping it down inside the container shouldn't be too big a deal. Same on the other end in reverse.

They deal with any sort of shipment. Also integrate with Ebay which only helps by making integration to location and seller seamless. They are assuming that most of these types of shipments by individuals are likely to be Ebay purchases.

You should get multiple "bids" for the job. The bidders should also provide you with commentary about what their services include. But also contacts so you can reach out with more direct questions. I have to think that direct contact with the shipper will be the best solution. Ultimately, it's up to you to select the shipper that works best for you (price / schedule / service, etc.).

The page that I provided the link to has an FAQ question, reviews of shippers and a list of shippers that get good reviews. You could probably reach out to a few of these for an approximation prior to initiating your search for a car. I completely understand the anxiety that shipping can make or break your wish to buy a car, but maybe talking to a few shippers can help put you at ease.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 10:08 am:

Glascott,

Start where you are going to be receiving your Model T.

Contact an importer who specializes in classic automobile transport.

They can give you advice about what US Port is best to ship from.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 12:57 pm:

Jim,

Have you considered adding a large boat to your transportation offerings ? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 01:32 pm:

In the military vehicle hobby, jeeps are being purchased from the US and transported to Europe and the UK like crazy. The numbers thrown out are in the $1,000 range.
It depends on a miriade of items such as the fee from port to port, but then the vehicle must be transported to and frm the port, etc. Freight forwarders are the way to go and let them do all the paperwork and figuring.

If the vehicle is being sold, I am under the impression that the vehicle title and registration paperwork is more daunting than the shipping paperwork. People selling jeeps overseas are paying almost $500 for the title from a "dead" jeep just to have a title with a number on it to satisfy the requirements. No one is checking VIN numbers on vehicles that never had one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 02:21 pm:

Burger,

Most of the week I have been in the Great State Of Texas.

At least once a day - when I stop - a Texan (usually driving a Ford truck) - says ....

" That - is a big @ss trailer "

Which is the highest compliment I can receive in a state where everything is BIG ....

I already tow a freaking barge - don't need to pilot another one on water .... :-)

Freighter Jim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration