Slightly OT - 2016 Hershey Hangover Tour Photos

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Slightly OT - 2016 Hershey Hangover Tour Photos
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 05:45 pm:

Here is a link to the HCCA forum 2016 Hershey Hangover tour pictures. Some Model Ts, but mostly other makes. :-)

http://boards.hcca.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=978

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 12:20 pm:

This looks like a really nice tour! Could you imagine doing this in the summer as a Model T Club tour?

Comments, anyone?

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 04:48 pm:

Keith, could you please clarify what it is you'd like to do? The Hangover takes place in October the Sunday and Monday after the Hershey car show, hence its name. The idea is that, when you leave the show at 3 pm, you drive (or, more likely, trailer) to the host hotel, where you spend Saturday and Sunday nights. There's an informal gathering Saturday night, a tour with destinations Sunday, a banquet Sunday night, and a relatively short tour Monday designed to get you back to your trailer by about 3 pm so you can start for home. We arrange with the hotel for a late checkout Monday.

The first 3 years, the host hotel was east of Hershey. The last 2 years it's been south of Hershey and west of Lancaster. Last year that wasn't a problem, since the tour destinations were west and south of the hotel. This year it presented problems, since the destinations were east of Lancaster, and driving through Lancaster wasn't an option - it's not old car friendly (or any other kind of car friendly). Both days, the routes all made a great big loop, so anyone who wasn't looking at a map never saw that Lancaster existed. I raise this point because, this year, I was the route master - I planned them all. I didn't choose the destinations - how could I, since I live in NJ about 130 miles from the tour and don't know what to visit? The tour master picked the hotel and the destinations, and I figured out how to get us there.

I believe I'll be doing the routes next year, too, from a different hotel and to different destinations. I'll find out in a week, when we have a planning meeting.

So, Keith, I'm not sure what you have in mind for a summer tour. Meanwhile, let me extend a warm invitation to anyone with a pre-'16 Ford (or a pre-'16 anything) to join next year's Hangover. You have to be a national member of either HCCA or AACA, since the tour is jointly sponsored by a chapter from each club. And, if we do short Creepy-Crawly routes again next year, as I think we will, those of you in the Early Ford group with 2-cylinder or NRS Fords will find something for you, too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas M. Edfors on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 04:58 pm:

Hello Keith. Why don't we put on a summer tour here in Wisconsin in association with 'our' newly formed regional group, The Southern Wisconsin Regional Group of the HCCA? Of course we would have to do a little restricting to brass radiator T's (and other brass era cars) but it would still be fun. What do you think? Anyone else interested?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 05:31 pm:

Gil the Elder (aka oldcarfudd :-) ), What I was thinking was this area in general and these types of destinations could make a very nice MTFCA national club tour. It could be expanded to 5 days and if it was held in the summer it would fit into the prime warm weather tour season when the kids are also out of school. You fellows have already done a lot of the leg work.

This is just a thought, but in looking at the pictures you posted and the places you visited it all looks very inviting and could make a nice tour.

The format of one club using another clubs past tour as a guide has been done many times before. It can work quite nicely and save lots of work in not having to re-invent the wheel, so to speak.

Tom, your idea has already been discussed several times, but in the format of a Model T Club tour. We Model T'ers often graciously invite pre- T's on our tours also, and most of them are Model T Club members anyway.

These are just ideas, guys, and I invite comments. Would anyone be interested in hosting a tour?

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas M. Edfors on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 06:08 pm:

Keith, Joyce and I hosted a three day hub tour here in Wisconsin recently (we have done many both for brass-era cars and for the CCCA). This tour was up in the Baraboo area with wonderful country roads and places to see. Our closer recent tour was here in Jefferson/Dodge Counties. Both would be great tours, if tweaked a bit, for either brass-era cars with our HCCA regional group and/or Model T's or, why not both together? There were rather steep hills on the Baraboo area tour but all the T' on the tour made it. How about one of these tours for 2017 or 2018. Are there enough mid-west (or even further away) people interested?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 06:19 pm:

Keith, it sounds very much like the Model T tour in Wisconsin where I met you, what was it, 5 years ago?

I'll offer this suggestion for doing a lot of the preliminary route planning by computer. Once you have your host hotel chosen, and you know what places you want to visit on the tour, I suggest a program called Map My Fitness. It's designed for runners and cyclists, and you have to tell it you're planning a bicycle trip, but it works fine. You can look at a plan of all the roads in the area, zero in on the ones that look interesting, and run the cursor along the proposed route. I gives you mileages to the hundredth, which is serious overkill. You can blow up a satellite image of each intersection, which will often be detailed enough to show you whether it's a light or a stop sign. Then you prepare your trial route instructions - names of roads, mileages, kinds of intersections.

Now comes the hard part. You have to go out and drive the route. That will tell you what the signs REALLY look like, and whether it's a route you really want to follow. For instance, there may be a blind intersection you want to avoid, or at least warn people about. You make all your corrections, and there will be a lot of them. Then you give your corrected instructions to someone who has no idea where you intend to go, and have that person drive the route to see whether the instructions are clear and correct. There should be very few changes, but there usually are a few. I've been on too many tours where the routemaster never got off his lazy butt and checked to see whether his instructions made sense.

Tom, as long as your tour isn't an HCCA NATIONAL tour, there's no reason two clubs can't share a tour at the same time and include post-'15 cars. It actually can work quite well with HCCA and Model T clubs, since late Model Ts perform like early ones, and the driving requirements are similar. It's all in what you want to do!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 09:50 pm:

Tom and Gil, Thank you for the suggestions. Actually, my Wife has laid out tours as Gil described using Streets and Trips, I think, and we always drive the routes usually at least twice to make sure everything is ok. Carol prides herself on getting the mileage exactly right to a tenth of a mile, although rounding may throw it off sometimes. We also include a color map with each days tour instructions just in case someone gets off track.

Tom, your ideas are good, and there definitely enough people interested. If you aren't sure on that, just ask Sheryl Steir, and she'll tell you!!! I'm thinking of a national Model T Club tour, but I don't know if one of these has been done in conjunction with the HCCA. Do any of you know if this has ever been done?

Tours for both Model T clubs are pretty much planned already for 2017 and 2018. For 2017, the MTFCA and MTFCI are having a joint tour in Whitefish, MT. 2018 tours are in the late discussion stages. That said, it's not too early to plan for 2019.

Lets see how this develops. In the meantime, are their any tour host volunteers?

Keith

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration