Cheap way to "Cad-plate" Rims

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Cheap way to "Cad-plate" Rims
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 06:54 pm:

Not being able to get a hold of McLaren American Vintage Rims, I had my old rims sand blasted, and then painted them with Rustoleum (2X Metallic Bright Silver). It took two cans. I mounted the tires from the back side of the rims. The match to the new Cad-plated hardware is almost perfect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 11:08 pm:

Your rims look fantastic Dan!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 11:16 pm:

Considering the cost, that's a mighty good second-best to galvanizing. I expect those will be good for several years before they need repainting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 12:09 am:

Dan, can you please post a picture of the product label?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 01:09 am:

I did something quite similar, but primed mine with Cold Galvanizing in a spray can. Figured it couldn't hurt!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 06:32 am:

Charles, this picture makes the top look black, but it actually looks like chrome.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rust-Oleum-American-Accents-Ultra-Cover-2x-Metallic-S ilver/37326855

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 06:40 am:

Silver painting was the suggested repair method by Ford for old rusty rims. Originally they were galvanized with zinc, not cad plated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 08:55 am:

Roger is correct.

Galvanizing these worked out to about $33 a rim, so the Rustoleum is a good substitute as a cheap second choice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 10:26 am:

Zinc Plated not Hot dip Galvanizing. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 11:27 am:

Galvanizing is zinc plating, whether it's hot dip or electroplate. You can look it up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Thomas - Centerville, Iowa on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 03:19 pm:

I used the Rustoleum silver paint on my rims. Still look good 9 years later...

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration