Maxwell/Model T radiator cap

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Maxwell/Model T radiator cap
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 01:15 am:

I know a few of you guys have both a Maxwell and a Model T. Do any of you know what radiator cap will fit my 1912 Maxwell Mascotte? I was hoping someone had tried a Model T one on a Maxwell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 11:11 pm:

I have a buddy that has a '12 Maxwell and I can find out for you if your not in a hurry?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 11:22 pm:

Does the Maxwell cap have 'wings'?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 12:13 am:

The Maxwell's radiator cap is a lot bigger than the Model T. The OD of the Male threads on the Maxwell radiator are about 2-3/8" The Model T's radiator has female threads and is about 2"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 01:01 am:

OK thanks. I was afraid they wouldn't be the same size. I still have the cap. It's just that I really like some of the mascot ones and Motometers a lot better. The one that is on it is about as plain as it gets. I've seen pics of Maxwells with other styles on them. All the supplier books I have seem to only list Model T caps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 01:36 am:

Troy, take heart. Many cars used the Maxwell type cap. There should be motometers and other type caps available.At reasonable prices.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 03:35 am:

Wings and motometers are readily available. Either new, or originals if you look for awhile. All they need is a plain cap with the correct threads to fit your radiator. Any small machine shop can make a cap for you. Ask antique car friends in your area for recommendations. Some dogbone caps can be adapted, some not so easily. Original radiator caps varied so much, and came in so many different sizes and threads, that finding just what you want can get tricky for some cars. I have had my '27 Paige for over 45 years, and still haven't found a cap I really want on it. I did get a beautiful dogbone cap that fits it perfectly, but I don't like the look of it on the car. I also got another dogbone cap that has the perfect other half (inside versus outside) of the threads to match the Paige's radiator. I have carried it to dozens of swap meets, and tried it on hundreds of caps. So it isn't as if I haven't tried. Part of the trouble is, that a lot of the fancy original caps were made of pot metal, and have gone bad from years of sitting.
For earlier cars, like a '12 Maxwell, I personally prefer a plain cap with a motometer (they first hit the market big time about 1912). But that is silly me.
Good luck!
Drive carefully, and enjoy W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 01:24 pm:

Thanks for the responses. I'm not really sure of what I want. I saw one with a plain brass octagonal cap with a plain brass motometer that I thought looked really good. I was really hoping to get lucky enough to just be able to order one out of a book. We had a nice simple falcon on a dogbone for our '27 Willy's Falcon Knight. I really liked that one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 09:56 am:

Troy, Can you post a photo of your cap? I have had to build my cap and radiator neck for my 1911 AB Maxwell and haven't installed them yet. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 10:13 am:

Troy, you need to measure your radiator neck and threads per inch. eBay has unknown radiator caps on almost daily, many are very had to find New Old Stock hard rubber over brass.

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 04:53 pm:

OK, I'll be over there today to pull the batteries and Stabil the fuel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 09:20 pm:

John Warren- There is a guy near Peoria IL that builds these radiators if you need anything. He was doing a 1911 Maxwell in front of re-soldering my 1912. Let me know if you need his contact info. If you need more pics or these don't work let me know. I was thinking a dog bone with Moto-meter for mine. I saw a Maxwell with one on it and liked it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 09:22 pm:

Mine look very close to 2". I didn't think to bring a caliper. The tread pitch I have no idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 09:28 pm:

Troy, does anybody have a tap & die set near you? they usually have thread gauges in them.

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 09:45 pm:

I do. I never thought about that. If I can't find mine I may try to run it over to a TrueValue. They should have one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 10:02 pm:

I believe the Ford caps are 24 TPI. The one pictured above looks coarser than that!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 09:30 pm:

Troy, is this anything that would fit your needs?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Model-T-Hex-Radiator-Cap-Brass-Undrilled-/381244322255?h ash=item58c3eeb1cf:g:i3YAAOSwpDdVQZcZ&vxp=mtr

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 01:17 am:

That is actually the one I'm looking at. I was thinking that style cap with a dogbone and motometer in smooth brass. I think Snyder's has a motometer insert with Maxwell instead of Ford. I'm just concerned about whether the size and thread pitch will be correct. Mine appears to be 2". I still need to check thread pitch. I should've just brought the cap home. One guy told me he was pretty sure the Maxwell used 2" with 18 TPI. That looks to me to be pretty accurate. I still want to measure to be sure. If anyone knows of this same style cap in the 18TPI I'd appreciate a heads up.

Actually this looks like it might be the one.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Model-T-Dog-Bone-Radiator-Cap-Brass-Drilled,18344. html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 01:21 am:

Looking for a motometer like this but with Maxwell instead.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Model-T-Motor-Meter-Smooth-Brass,39075.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 09:18 am:

Troy, Check out Restoration Supply: http://www.restorationstuff.com/pdf/RestorationSupplyCompany.pdf

On page 58 they have Motometers, wings, radiator caps and replaceable Motometer nameplates.

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 10:17 am:

Thanks Howard I just sent them an email requesting pics of both of the motometer emblems they list for Maxwell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 12:51 pm:

It might be more difficult than I thought to find a cap. The thread gauge read 14TPI.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 01:28 pm:

That's not good. I never could find a gas cap for my 1917 Maxwell and ended up having it reproduced by one of the brass car suppliers, cost over $200.00! Wife would kill me if she ever found out.

Howard Dennis

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration