Coil Box

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Coil Box
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 08:02 am:

So last night I took the lid off my coil box (26 touring). I had a hard time getting it back on. I'm assuming that the two metal (they look like a C on the lid) springs go in between the coils. On between 1&2 and one between 3&4. I got it on but it doesn't seem to sit correctly. Looks like it will only go on one way. It doesn't look bent or damaged but it seemed to put a lot of pressure on the coils. My coils also look a bit moldy and won't come out. I think I've got to take the box off to get them out. Then I think they will go off to the coil DR.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 08:23 am:

The 26/27 coil box seems to be a pretty tight fit. Work on one of the middle 2 coils. Those are the easiest to get out. Once one is out, it will be easy to get the rest. The wood may be swollen from moisture. Leave the lid off, and place an old style trouble light (incandescent bulb) under the box. They may dry the wood out a little causing the wood to shrink. Once the coils are out, I'd recommend installing a Fun Projects kit for the coil box.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 08:40 am:

Robert I know this seems like a silly question but: are you putting the lid on the box with the rain guard over the terminal connectors? I have seen one installed backwards and it was a TIGHT FIT. Always check the simple things first. I agree with John an incandescent bulb in the engine compartment under the coil box will help dry the coils out also I would get the coil box rebuild kit from fun projects. :-)
http://www.funprojects.com/products/5001BRK.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 09:35 am:

I think it's on the right way the rain guard was toward the engine. The clips don't line up if I put it the other way. I got one clip on (firewall side) and the other clip slips off the catch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 09:48 am:

Here's what the hold down springs should look like:

Note the rubber gasket that seals the lid to the coil box

(picture from a previous posting by Ron Patterson)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 11:24 am:

That's what mine looks like. I put it on so the round part of the springs were towards the engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 12:10 pm:

That is correct. check the latch and make sure it is not bent and that is is lining up. Sometimes on mine you need to "wiggle" the lid a little to get it lined up just right. I had a swollen coil and to get it out I had to remove the points and fashion a piece to be held by the screws that held the points then I used one of those neck lanyards with the hook and pulled straight up and it came out then I dried it in the shop oven for an hour at 200 F slipped in and out fine after that. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 12:25 pm:

Thanks G.R Cheshire. I bet that's my issue. The box looks great but the coils look like they are swelled and they are stuck. I'll make it work.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration