A Great Night in Dallas

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: A Great Night in Dallas
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 09:24 am:

I've been in Dallas Texas all week at meetings. During the week, I walked over to the grassy knoll and saw the placard in the 6th story window where Oswald waited. I sat on the rooftop of a place that served alligator and realized I was more interested in the old building marked Fairbanks Morse across the street. I found out that like Detroit; Dallas has a football team too.

But, Last night I was standing in front of my hotel near the taxi queue debating whether I'm going to walk to McDonald's or Subway for my dinner.

Then, In spite of my being deaf, my hearing aids began to resonate with the unmistakable sounds of a well tuned Model T coil. They sounded like the coils had come of a hand cranked coil tester only minutes before.

Then under the hotel awning, I and the assembled masses spotted a bright red Ford being driven by none other than Royce Petersen. He pulled up and said "Come with me if you want to eat." and I immediately got into his gleaming 1910 Touring.

It was rush hour traffic, bumper to bumper, and we went from stoplight to stoplight with no sign of overheating in spite of it being a warm day.

After sampling some of Dallas' best steak, we went to Royce's garage and he showed me a T with a water pump. It was an original water pump on a low numbered '09. I also got to see many of the cars in Royce's collection.

On the way back to the hotel, I learned some of the local history including the smelly factory that originally occupied the land where I was staying. Best night of the week and thanks to Royce.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 10:05 am:

Tom it was my pleasure. Downtown in bumper to bumper rush hour traffic is no problem for a good running T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 10:36 am:

Royce, you have done a lot of work to your new T. It looks great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn Hayward on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 11:06 am:

Yes ,I want to thank Royce as well again,
Royce took my father for a ride around Dallas a few years ago , I believe it was in an 11 or 12 , He had a great time, we actually where talking about it last night

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 12:25 pm:

Hi Royce. I grew up in Dallas so I know my way around. Where do you live and what route did you take to get downtown? Maybe you live in Highland Park!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 12:33 pm:

Gary,

I live in Dallas, across HWY 75 from the town of Highland Park, quite close to the George W. Bush Presidential library which is on the campus of Southern Methodist University.

I went down Abrams Road, which becomes Main Street downtown. Traffic downtown never exceeds 20 MPH during rush hour. Tom was staying at the Hyatt Regency which is about 300 yards from the school book depository where President Kennedy was killed in 1963. Came back on Main, Abrams, then cut over to Greenville Avenue where we had dinner at Ozona, which was called Cardinal Puff's when I was in high school.

All the streets we went on have a speed limit no higher than 35, so a T is fine so long as you maintain a safe distance from cars in front of you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 01:08 pm:

Ah, ok that makes sense. I don't know how I got the notion you lived in Flower Mound. THAT would be a trip in a T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 01:54 pm:

Royce,

That was a wonderful thing you did. Does not get much better than that. A "Win" for all. Very nice 10 touring you have. Look forward to going on another model T tour with you.
In the 80's spent a lot of time at Texas Instruments working on the HARM program at Lewisville and Dallas.
Some great Steak places to eat at in Dallas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 11:52 pm:

Gee, some guys have a lot of faith and guts to drive a restored T (or any other pre-mid thirties car) in Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, or Austin. I'm not afraid of my driving skills. It the modern car driver that scares me. Too many cell phones and distracted drivers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 01:29 am:

I have to admit that after having a couple of close calls in the same day I keep mine off busy streets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 01:30 am:

That car really reminds me of when mine was red. I think the brass cars really look nice with the red and black.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration