Muncie Transmission

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Muncie Transmission
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 11:17 am:

A new member of our local club has located a Muncie transmission and is contemplating installing it in his T. I only know something about Warford and Ruckstell auxiliary transmissions and know that both are being manufactured and have parts available.

Do any of our posters have a Muncie in their cars and what are the opinions or comparisons between the three types.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 12:44 pm:

Hi, Norman. My '22 TT has a Muncie which seems to be a good unit. It has under drive, direct, and over drive plus reverse. Ford low and Muncie low is your granny gear. Ford reverse and Muncie reverse is your super granny gear. In super granny the truck will drive up onto a trailer with the engine idling if you have time to wait on it.

Shifting on the fly can be tricky and will take some practice, learning how to double clutch with the left arm through the steering wheel spokes to work the throttle, etc.

I don't know anything bad to say about the Muncie. Coasting or braking with the overdrive engaged produces a whine but not real loud and I kinda like it.

Others will back me up on this, with any auxillary transmission which has a neutral you should also have outside brakes at the rear wheels.

Oh yeah, mine has a crossmember at the rear secured with spring-loaded bolts to take some weight off the fourth main.

Hope this helps. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Bennett on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 01:06 pm:

One other thing about the Muncie transmission. It requires a special "U" joint between the Ford engine/transmission and the Muncie. It also requires a coupler between the output shaft on the Muncie transmission and the "U" joint on the Ford driveshaft. Make sure you have those parts. Without them, the installation will not be possible!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Elliott on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 01:20 pm:

I have run a Muncie in my speedster for many years. The one thing that I experienced, is the transmission needs to be watched for the gear fluid level before each run. I think this can be helped with a vent added to the transmission case to reduce the pressure that builds up and pushed the oil out of the rear shaft. I like the fact that it has a natural, which is nice if you have a little bit more compression to deal with. By the way, I need a cluster gear for a second transmission that I have and would like to sell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 06:06 pm:

My '18 TT has a Muncie. I like it but I can't offer a comparison to a Warford or Ruckstell because I've never used them. I agree with everything Robert said above in this thread.

William's comment about the coupler and special u-joint is true. When I had my truck apart I found the special Muncie u-joint broken and sort of wedged in place. No telling how long it ran like that. Finding a replacement was a little difficult, but they're out there. At one point I considered making a custom coupler to replace that u-joint. Other folks have done it successfully, but it turned out I found one.

P.S. Interesting is the fact that the broken u-joint worked fine due to the fact that reverse was always done with the Muncie reverse and planetary low, thereby never reversing the torque on it. If reverse had been accomplished by any Muncie forward gear and planetary reverse thereby creating reverse torque on it I'm sure it would have completely come apart.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration