Castle nut and split pin location. Can I make a presumption?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Castle nut and split pin location. Can I make a presumption?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 01:08 pm:

I don't have a reference project as my donor was a speedster and I'm creating something that didn't exist with a WWI military Model T. Anyway, can I make a broad presumption that ANY bolt with a castle nut and cotter pin would have the bolt head coming from the inside and the castle nut and split pin accessable from the "outside"? Such as the three bolts on the front fender irons? Castle nuts outside the frame? Guel tank support to frame, three bolts with heads inside the frame and nuts on top of frame? Steering bracket to frame, lower bolts with head inside frame and castle nuts on bottom, but the long bolt in from the side would be bolt head outside of frame and castle nut by bracket?
Crank case arm to frame, same thing... bolt on top with bolt head inside of frame and castle nut on top of frame, but long side bolt, head from outside frame and castle nut between arm and CC>

So, a few exceptions on the long bolts that can't be any other way, but MOST others castle nut on outside of frame?

Thanks in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 01:55 pm:

Pan-to-frame bolts both fit only one way if you're using the blocks, the long one going in and the short one going out. I don't know how the question would have been answered at the factory a hundred years ago, but I suspect the rule was nuts out where possible, in any place where that was the easiest way to reach them with a wrench.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 04:07 pm:

Just remember as a rule of thumb, your nuts should be showing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 04:24 pm:

Dennis,

a good rule of thumb in warm weather.

But, I get the just and will try to show off the split pins whenever possible.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration