Texas T Parts distributor problem

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Texas T Parts distributor problem
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wightman on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 04:55 pm:

It appears that they have gone out of business as I have an electronic point distributor that went out and cannot get any response.. Can any one enlighten me ?????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Spies - Ft. Walton Bch,FL on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 05:04 pm:

Texas T was sold to Birdhaven Auto parts

Birdhaven Vintage Auto Supply  
Directions
Auto Parts Store
Address: 3515 W 88th St N, Colfax, IA 50054
Phone: (515) 674-3949

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 05:18 pm:

Check with Birdhaven, they have done good by me

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 05:25 pm:

You will never have to worry about them, Good People!

They are sometimes hard to get hold of, as they are busy getting everything moved, and also they built a New Building.

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 06:53 pm:

Bird Haven is a good outfit. They took care of a Texas T alternator problem like right now! No BS they just made it right. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wightman on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 07:12 pm:

This is the past week...no call backs...???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 08:36 pm:

The folks at Birdhaven have other full time jobs. They are most always there on Saturdays. I have left messages and they always have returned them, sometimes on the following Saturday or in the evening. I assume you are using a VW distributor>
That was what all of my Texas T distributor set ups have been.
If the electronics have gone south, simply order parts for a 1967 VW beetle. These would be available at any big box auto parts store. I have done that several times in the past with great success!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Max L. Christenson on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 08:45 pm:

So, VW parts, instead of T parts, are OK. Right? Sounds like the Birdhaven boys are good 'ol boys, right? If you want to give them your money, fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 09:25 pm:

Max, it is not like you are thinking. They have owned Birdhaven the last few years. When you would call, there was always some one on the other end of the phone. but only in the last few months, from buying Texas T Parts out, I would think that would be a job moving all that stuff to Iowa, and building a new building in Des Moines.

They are a man and woman team, and as good of people as there are.

Try to give them a break, until you get to know them.

Thanks,

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Robinson, Salty Bottom, AL on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 09:59 pm:

"VW parts, instead of T parts"

Max, A distributor, whether VW, Chevy, or Jeep, or anything else for that matter, are not Model T parts, because Model T's never had a distributor from the factory- but you probably already know that.. A VW distributor just happens to fit and work.

I purchased a set of Sure-Stop disc brakes from them in June and couldn't ask for better service, but all of my communication with them was by email and/or online ordering. All email answers from them came at night.

They are trying hard to keep our hobby going with good products.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 11:02 pm:

Patience and understanding; something there is a shortage of in the world.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 07:57 am:

Parts that may help you, these are Napa part numbers. I have used an actual vehicle where I could for the application.

6V Coil w/o resistor
Napa IC7 (IC7SB)
1965 VW Beetle

12 V Coil w/o resistor
Napa IC64 (IC64SB)
1970 VW Beetle

Cap
Napa EP274SB
1970 VW Beetle
W/ Dist# 0231167029, 053

Rotor
Napa EP278SB
1970 VW Beetle
W/ Dist# 0231167029, 053

Condensor
Napa EP466

Ignition Points (.015-.020 gap) (2 choices see below)

Napa CS314
Note: Clips holding the distributor cap will be held on with machine screws (Latest Version).

Napa CS313SB
Note: Clips holding the distributor cap will be held on with pop rivets.
(1970 VW Beetle) Contact Controlled Distributor;w/ Bosch Distributor, w/ OEM #'s 167 029, 167 053;w/ Manual Transmission;w/ B Engine Designation; Contact Controlled Distributor;w/ VW Distributor, w/ OEM #'s 113 905 205A, 113 905 205P;w/ VW Distributor, w/ OEM #'s 113 905 205AB, 113 905 205AD;w/ B Engine Designation

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 08:20 am:

Dave and Max. By your post count, I am going to assume you both are relatively new to T's. You both need to realize a few things. Model T parts supplied are a "cottage industry", meaning very small and most are a single person or two--mom and pop type businesses---some of which their owners have full time jobs. And as we go through the years, and people age, those businesses are coming up for sale.

Texas T parts was sold not very long ago, and instead of owners that did it full time, it went to new owners that have it as a somewhat sideline business and the work full time to support the business venture and themselves. A lot of the parts made by various other people are ones that do it for the love and do it in their free time, or days off work. When you buy from Bird Haven, Chaffins, Lang's, Snyder's, you are not necessarily buying parts they made. And if their suppliers can't keep up on demand, the shortages at times happen. And again, some of these businesses are small, and often run out of homes.

Patience, and asking if anyone has had similar issues or if they can help with your problem would be considerably better than the almost instant bashing of a vendor or supplier. I was very easily able to help in my previous posts with information I had on hand, which in all reality would probably solve your issue. That was sure easier than going after a small part time business owner that takes care of a small hobby, and trying to make a living doing so.

That's my 2 cents.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wightman on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 09:48 am:

I'm not trying to do any bashing. My electronic points are under warranty and just want them replaced.. That's all. My first call was returned and the gentleman said he would give me an address to send them to..no return call. I then called a few days later and the lady had no idea what I was talking about so then I explained the problem and she said she would get back to me.. No return call. Yes I can buy another set but this one is under warranty.. Trying to remain calm....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 09:53 am:

Calm is the operative word .... it really is. :-)

Patience is good, also. When it comes to T parts, we do not have a drive thru window to patronize.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Wilson - Omaha NE on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 07:10 pm:

Birdhaven is good people. I have Bill Devine's (owner)cell phone number and talked to him many times on a Saturday when I had a problem, and he is always happy to help. Yes they are a very small business, and do not always answer the phone, but many is the time they have known me for my voice on the phone, and when I have ordered something from them,and I have had it the next day. Good people. Just like Lang's and Chaffin's. We could not enjoy our T's without them. Birdhaven works best for me as I am in Omaha, and they are just East of Des Moines.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 08:46 pm:

The one part often required for the VW 009 distributor is the shaft bushing.

I used to have the part number and know a place to get them, but I lost it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wightman on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 07:16 pm:

Called yesterday about the points.. Told them I haven't heard anything and response was We haven't either..Ask if they would look into it and call back.. STILL trying to be patient........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 07:33 pm:

Did you buy the unit new directly from Birdhaven or Texas T, come on a car you bought or did you buy from other dealer? If you bought from one of the T parts dealers have you tried contacting them? Who are you calling, Birdhaven, new owners or Texas T, old owners? Have you called on a Saturday as suggested?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 07:51 pm:

I have bought parts from Birdhaven and my parts arrived as agreed and timely. Very friendly on the phone. Nice people. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wightman on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 04:41 am:

I bought these directly from Birdhaven.. Trying to stay positive as it looks as though I'm either the first or only one with less than good service...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 07:31 am:

To the OP, if you bought "directly from Birdhaven" why does your post title state to watch out for Texas T Parts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 04:56 pm:

Understand that the points are/were under warranty, but it seems you're past the $10 worth of hassle to get them replaced that you would have spent at your local auto parts store. Don't think I'd spend anymore time trying to get them replaced when you could have them within a few days, if not sooner for a sawbuck. JMHO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wightman on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 05:26 pm:

Dave... These were electronic points @ $100.00 AND under warranty. But YES I think I will suck it up and not say another word here about it .. Just wanted what w hat sold to me...Pissed Off but it won't break me... Done...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 05:50 pm:

Not trying to pick a fight here. The ad only shows a .009 type distributor and does not indicate that electronic ignition are available. Was that a special order?
From and earlier posting you were getting a Pertronix electronic ignition, did you get it from Pertronix, FSI or Birdhaven? If it was from one of the first two shouldn't you be contacting them?
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/604193.html?1452737991

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wightman on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 06:27 pm:

I bought it from Bird haven.. After a couple of weeks Birdhaven said

I bought it from Birdhaven.. After a couple of weeks they finally and I called them they said to send it to them "birdhaven" to be tested Per Pertronix.. Haven't heard from them since, until I called them.. Just would like some follow up to tell me I'm out or what.... Warranty is just what is means and that is all I want nothing more nothing less. To be honest I don't think it's Bird haven's fault BUT they could follow up a lot better!!! $100.00 isn't going to break me now it's just the thought.. Just a warning to you guys what I have run into... Dave

pertronic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 06:27 pm:

One other thing, even if you had Birdhaven install the Pertronix unit in a distributor you bought from them (Birdhaven), the Pertronix unit should be covered by Pertronix (the makers) not Birdhaven (the assembler).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wightman on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 07:05 pm:

That was my thought too.... Birdhaven said to send it to THEM to be tested and they would go from there.. Pertronix is probably most of the blame BUT Birdhaven has little if any follow up/service.. I'm still out..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wilbur Swearingin--Mt.Vernon,MO on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 05:54 pm:

Placed an order with Birdhaven/Texas T Parts about 2:30 Friday before Christmas week-end. Asked if they could ship that same day as I close my office between Christmas and New Years and like to work on T's during my week off. Parts arrived today. Great service from a good vendor. My thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike-Iowa on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 06:25 pm:

Just another viewpoint from a customer who has done business with Birdhaven, past and present owners. The Birdhaven folks are genuinely good respectable folks. They aim to please their customers and provide a satisfying experience. I believe that in the end any customer with a product issue will be treated well and respectfully by the Divines. Sometimes vendors do get a product that has an unanticipated issue, we've all had this one time or another in our lives. If we keep it positive the outcome can also be positive. Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 10:38 pm:

Where else can you get Devine help for a Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Wednesday, December 28, 2016 - 10:50 am:

Did Bird Haven buy Texas T Parts as a business or only purchase their inventory? Would make a big difference on getting resolution on a problem with now defunct Texas T Parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, December 28, 2016 - 12:42 pm:

On Dec 9th he says that Birdhaven told him to send them the parts so they could test it. Where and when he was told that in the time line of events, don't know, but I would have popped it the mail at that point. Oh well in about a week or so this will be closed and a new year of forum started.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration