Tail Light Socket Replacement

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Tail Light Socket Replacement
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Dill on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 11:57 pm:

My tail light seems to work intermittently based on my wiggling. Has to be corroded or something. Should be easy to fix, but the current setup looks very different from what I'm seeing with the Model T parts sellers.

i've attached a couple pictures. This one has what must be ground attached to a plate in the base of the light. I wonder about the socket sold on Macs (I've had to search around). It has a ground plate attached to the socket that I'm hopeful can replace one of the screws in the plate beneath the socket shown here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 12:03 am:

I'd make sure you have a battery disconnect switch installed for when you park your car in the garage!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Dill on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 12:25 am:

Battery disconnect switch installed and working well. It's not like I need a key for the car, but the battery switch key does a good job.

Here's the switch I'm using:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 01:10 am:

Hi Charlie,

Do confirm that you have a Good ground from the bulb socket to the frame of your car. The brake and running light circuits need to be in good condition also, of course but too often the ground is given only a lick and a promise. Good luck with your project. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 09:26 am:

Way to go Charlie on the disconnect switch!

And ounce of protection is worth many pounds of charred garage!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Dill on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 09:40 am:

Bill - I believe the ground is good. The turn signal light is connected to the same bolt (into the frame), and it works fine.

This particular socket works intermittently based on wiggling the bulb while the brake is depressed. I'm pretty sure it's the actual socket. They are so cheap, I'm happy to replace it, but this one has a fairly unique design. I will see what happens if I take a little sandpaper to the contacts (of the socket and the bulb).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 02:15 pm:

Here's what I do to convert an oil lamp to electric. Pep Boys sells this single filament socket for $2.79. I use a ty wrap to secure it to the wick holder. No mods to the lamp.

It lights up the back of the car very well with an 1156 bulb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 02:54 pm:

I modify the double prong socket by grounding the socket to the frame. Then I use a double filament bulb and wire the large one to the brake switch and the small filament to the running light. This gives me both a running and a stop light like a modern car while using the old socket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 03:33 pm:

You will have to file off the tang that interferes with the bulb turning in the socket. To stop that you would have to purchase a modern duplex plug socket for a running and stop light but it is made of plastic and will not fit the hole. Be careful after rewiring the original socket because now you can insert the bulb wrong and have a bright running light and a dim stop light. If this happens simply remove the bulb and rotate it 180 degrees and re-insert it..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 06:51 pm:

Here is the conversion I made ... based on an illustration in a vintage catalog.

Tail light 1

Tail light 2

Tail light 3

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration