Hood hinge

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Hood hinge
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 08:36 am:

Is there a vendor that sells hood hinges or repair parts? Just curious. I have a few hoods including my original which is in very nice shape except the hinge has separated from each side. Would like to fix it since the hood matches the patina of the rest of the T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 09:07 am:

You might try talking with these folks http://www.rootlieb.com/ since they make reproduction sheet metal parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 09:22 am:

Is it for brass era aluminum hoods?
The black era T you have in your profile photo doesn't have separate hood hinges, the hinges are formed from tabs in the hood plus hinge pins that are available from the vendors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kirk on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 11:06 am:

Is this what you are looking for? I made these this past summer to replace missing and rotted hinges and a crappy repair made in the paste. Should have used thinner metal, would have been easier to work with.

hinghing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 11:18 am:

Thanks guys, this is for the 1918. I will post some photos of the hood later and you can see what you think.

Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 10:24 pm:

Here you go. This is what I have to work with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 10:36 pm:

If you're not very good at body work, like welding and forming sheetmetal, then it's best to look for better hoods or buy new available from Rootlieb or the T part vendors. It's not like the hinges are exchangeable, they're part of the hood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Conklin on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 10:42 pm:

Mark I did what Peter did on a hood similar to yours. It's my hot weather hood with out sides, the engine doesn't overheat but I do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 10:25 pm:

Thanks, I can weld so that wont be a problem. May go with the pieces above. I have been trying to find a hood to match, kind of difficult.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 03:41 am:

Mark, I can weld too, oxy, arc and mig. But I am not very good at getting things flat again after welding. For a restored car, a new hood is the answer. You spend a lot of time peering along its surfaces as you drive. For a patina car, a weld repair may just be the answer, but it will be difficult to get it flat again, if that is desirable.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 08:18 pm:

Peter, I would like to get those hinges from you. Tried email but no luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 11:13 pm:

Contacted Root Lieb, hope to hear back soon.
thanks guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Friday, October 28, 2016 - 11:43 pm:

Good news so far. I managed to get the hood apart and the hinges free from the rod. I was able to straighten out the driver's side of the hood and fit it to the p/u. I need to now weld the hinges back on the passenger side and fit it to the truck. I will let you know how that goes, I can't loose much for trying.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 01:54 pm:

Mark,
Wow, those headlight reflectors!! Are those the new aluminized ones? Looks like you're making good progress, it's not easy, but it is do-able.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 10:14 am:

Yes they are the new reflectors. Got the lights to work but only very dim. That creates another bag of mysteries.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 12:04 am:

Check the ground connections--could be some rust preventing good electrical contact!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 04:55 am:

Mark, it would help if you removed the bulb holders from the lamp body and thoroughly cleaned out the hole. There needs to be good electrical contact between the globe holder and the lamp body. A sure way to achieve this is to solder a wire from the focus screw arm to the lamp body.

Otherwise, you need to check the ground between the headlight and the frame.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 06:52 am:

After about 40 years of beating tin for a living I can say ''nice job''!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 10:10 pm:

Thank you, I am no pro by any means, just trying to make it look good. I got the hinges welded back on and put the hood together, I need to make the areas around the welds look old and then put the hood back on the truck. I will take pictures then.

Hoping to take it to the local car show this Saturday if all goes well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 06:43 pm:

Had it out almost 5 miles yesterday. Had fuel issues but got that solved. Took it out and up on a hill today. Got hot and then had boiling gas which seemed odd since the line was cool and so was the gas I drained off the bottom but the bowl was hot. Another issue to work on. Oh well done for today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 06:44 pm:

Oops forgot this one

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 07:22 pm:

Gorgeous, simply gorgeous.
You'll get those fuel issues sorted. :-)
How's it drive/steer? Light and nimble?

I dared take my '18 Tin Cup (a calico cat of colors) out yesterday and today. Had a blast! Glad I did. Another T here that's coveted... Like yours. :-)

Thanks for the update!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 07:31 pm:

Still need to do an alignment, and figure out if the overheating is due to the cooling system or not. I installed a new timer rod and it looks like the timer is pretty close to where it should be at rest but I could use some photos to confirm.

Ruxtel shifts and the truck runs well enough for not having been rebuilt. But on a hot day like today as soon as you idle it has fuel issues. The line is away from the exhaust pipe so I am a bit baffled.

Still having trouble with the headlights.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 07:34 pm:

Oh and I got the hood fixed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 05:41 am:

It looks dynamite with the colors....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 08:31 pm:

I thought about it last night and Gary urged me to blab again.
Did you seal in the patina?
I wanna see right hood pics...
:-)
Not sure if this is what you need about timing...
timer arm
Timer arm and roller at no. 1 tdc or just after

book
Note the crank pulley pin, the oiler hole and the four wire terminals. The lever for the timer rod should be right above the oil hole cover at the very top of the timer cover. IF I have my head on square. Engine set at number 1 top dead center. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 09:05 pm:

Thanks this is part of what I need, the other part is where the timer sets when the rod that is attached to it is set at either "retarded" or "advanced" . Does that make sense?

I will try to get some photos of the truck in the sun again this weekend. I was asked to post the photos as a separate post in the forum so other people could see them, not everyone is interested in my hinge post I guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 11:28 pm:

No pics yet but I was given a hood for my '21 a couple of days ago. It was originally a low hood but someone had converted the sides to be a high hood. They cut off the rolled parts that the rod goes thru and riveted an extension on the top of the side panels about an inch wide, making the side panels taller. I can't imagine how the modified hood fit because the two top panels were unmodified, low hood pieces. I'm not sure that I can salvage it but I thought about welding a piece of the appropriate size metal tubing across the top edge. I would use a piece all the way across to get it straight then cut out the sections that are filled by the rolls on the edge of the top pieces.This is probably useless without pics.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 08:12 pm:

Oops! I made a faux pa about the timer and I get what your asking! :-) I was sorely mistaken about the timer placement for retarded (lever all the way up) with the engine at number one top dead center.
See this article by Ron and Steve: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/Ignition.pdf See the disclaimer right below the pic of the timer about Ford verses other timers on the first page.
See this crappy picture I took after getting cam timing and ignition timing correct. The timer is in the retarded position in this shot. I couldn't take a good one that night after cam timing.
timing
Timer set correctly I believe, engine set at #1 TDC (just slightly after-note the crank pin is just a bit after). Your timer may be a bit different.

OK, new pics for ya Mark!
Timer is 'tarded. About the 11 O Clock spot. Lever is all the way up.
timer-tarded

Timer is ALL the way advanced. Lever all the way down. 2 views.
Remember, yours may be a bit different depending on the timer. :-)

timer-advanced
timer-advanced2

"not everyone is interested in my hinge post I guess."
Umm, Mark, I believe you're another fella that have sparked the folks that like to see things preserved as-is. I'm one of them too some-days and I'd love to see more pics of your pickup. It's a survivor and it's gorgeous!
:-) I have paint issues... ;-)
Mess with that timing when you get a chance and get back to us on this thread or another. :-)
You want a battery buzz just after top dead center while slowly rolling it over.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 11:09 pm:

Hey Mark, have you found the body serial number on your pickup yet? Perhaps on the passenger side floor riser to the right of where the two piece floorboards (floor to firewall) go?
Oof. I wish my vernacular was better in times like these.
Thanks!
Duane

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 09:35 pm:

HI guys, thank you for the posts on timer location retarded/advanced. Very helpful.

Here are some more photos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 09:46 pm:

hmm, not able to load any more. Wonder if the site went down?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 09:55 pm:

I will try to figure out what happened on my end. I have more photos to go but cant get them to load.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 10:09 pm:

maybe these will work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 12:37 am:

That hood looks fantastic! The fitment of the hood is perfect too... Gorgeous.
Even if it's just me saying so, That is one gorgeous little Ford!
Thank you for the pics, Mark!
Lizzhe, Tin cup, Center Door, Lucky, 1/2 Wit with a Ruxtell and Ted all wish they were as clean as your Ford!
Gorgeous.
And another big truck in your yard?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 10:17 pm:

Thanks Duey, it is coming along. I slowed down a bit at the end there. Too many projects and a very busy year for me. This was an unexpected as many of you know so everything else took a back seat so I could get this T going . Weather is coming and will all but stop any sort of work on it until the temps climb back up.

Just think, it was under water up to the top of the block a few years ago during a heck of a flood we had out here. I had to practically dismantle everything and clear it of water. Luckily the old oils and grease saved it, not a spot of rust anyplace from that flood.

Hoping to have it at a 100 years/ 100 T's event coming up early in 2017.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration