Valve Job Help?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Valve Job Help?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Barrancotta on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 10:27 am:

I'm in deep.

Long story short, one thing led to another and my head, intake, and exhaust manifolds are now off. Seems like this would be the right time to dig in a little deeper and replace the original valves.

Is there anyone in the Akron/Canton, Ohio area that might be willing to oversee my first valve job?

I've read and watched everything I can find, and I'm pretty confident that it's something I can do. Still, it would be nice to find someone more experienced to provide some hands on guidance.

Tony B.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kirk on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 11:16 am:

I was thinking of doing the same thing but after some advice from others, looking at the condition of the push rods that need to be replaced, badly dished, I decided not to do it and that the proper way is with the engine out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 12:55 pm:

Probably been done a million or more times with little more than the Model T tools. Think about it. Dave in Bellingham, WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 03:07 pm:

Tony, A valve job is one of the easier jobs on a model T. Im going to assume that you are replacing the old two piece valves. Im also going to assume that you do not have hardened valve seat installed. If not you should have a machine shop do that for you. If your going to run the old seats then buy the new valves and lap them in real good. Then check the clearance and adjust by grinding VERY small amounts off the base of the stem until your at the right clearance. I don't have my book in front of me but Im sure someone will jump in and give you the spec's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 04:04 pm:

IMHO, if your valve seats are in good condition, you don't need the hardened seats installed. The T isn't high-performance enough to need them. If the seat are bad, the hardened one, I think , are they only type available. Then you will probably never have to work on the seats again the rest of your life.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Rice on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 08:04 am:

Hi Tony,
You are in luck! Contact Kevin Prus. He has a model T specialty shop, located 24 miles from you in Columbiana, Ohio and can do your valve seats and replacement valves for you.

If you really want to have some fun after the valves and seats are completed, don't change another thing on your engine and bolt one of his Prus high compression heads on your car! Here you go:
Kevin Prus
(330)533-5516
(330)774-7130

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Barrancotta on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 09:18 am:

Hey Rick.
Thanks for the info.
Kevin sent me a PM, and I'll get in touch with him tomorrow.
I knew there had to be someone nearby that could help me out. Feel pretty fortunate to have so many great resources (people/parts/shops) in our area of Ohio!

Tony B.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration