Foot Starter Switch to frame mounting hardware?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Foot Starter Switch to frame mounting hardware?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 02:42 pm:

Can't find from the vendors the usual castle nut and split pin and bolt that I presumed were used to mount the switch to the frame. Fuel tank strap bolts are castle nut type.

Use any bolt? Use the gas tank strap bolts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 03:23 pm:

Me, I would use a nut and lock washer! :-)I think the plate was riveted to the frame anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 07:49 pm:

Robert, on our Canadian sourced cars the starter switch plate was held with 5/16" bolts and castle nuts. One was longer than the other because it also went through the running board strap to the top of the frame. Fuel tank bolts are 3/8"

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 08:45 pm:

There were no less than five different bolts used to mount the starter switch bracket to the frame. I believe the note at the very top is the standard bolts for cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 10:35 pm:

I'm seeing the vendors selling gas tank strap bolts, steering bracket bolts,, crankcase arm bolts, etc.,

But I'm not seeing the one piece running board bracket to frame bolts or the starter switch bolts. being sold as a set.

How do I purchase these bolts without going to my local ACE and paying over $2.00 for a single castle nut? Can I purchase an assortment or a generic length and size from a source?

Now that I've got half the frame stuff mounted with castle nuts, I'd hate to just use normal hardware and locking washers.

Thanks for any guideance.

RB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 12:14 am:

Robert, in my experience, there are only 3 places where 5/16" bolts/nuts are used on a T. The two diff halves are held together with bolts and plain nuts. The handbrake cross shaft uses 4 bolts and castle nuts. The starter switch plate has two more. This means they are scarce when compared to the multiple use of 3/8" fasteners.

You may have to resort to the local hardware supplier.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 07:14 am:

Robert,

Lang's sells fasteners separately, and at a very reasonable costs I might add, although there would be shipping. But if you order them with other parts, it's not so bad.

Edit: I was wrong, I just looked and didn't find the 5/16" bolts listed, just the castle nuts. As Allan said, lots of 3/8" fasteners used and they have them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 10:47 am:

Are the bolts in question, for the hand brake and starter switch, the same length? And, if so, what is that length so I can look for the correct bolts.
It was mentioned that one of the bolts on the switch was longer as it was used to also connect the running board bracket. I am making a presumption that the length of these bolts is pretty specific to allow for the correct tension and the alignment of the split pin.

So it sounds like I need 4 bolts for the hand brake to frame.
7 or 8 bolts for the running board long brackets to frame. Maybe on ofhese bolts is longer to allow for the starter switch plate.
And, one bolt for the starter switch plate to frame.

And, since you folks seem to know their nuts, would this hardware be painted the frame color? Parkerized or ravenized? Or left bare?

What a can of worms. Interesting that the vendors sell most mounting hardware in individual packages, but not for these items.

Thanks for the direction, so far.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 05:58 pm:

Robert, the running board brackets are rivetted to the frame. There is just one bolt through them, at the same point the starter switch plate is fixed. The bolt here takes the place of the rivet. It is the only longer bolt. The handbrake cross shaft and the remaining starter plate bolt are the same length.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 08:51 pm:

The hand brake brackets use the same bolt and nut as your starter switch. Just make sure when you ask for them, they are drilled for the cotter pin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By arnie johansen on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 09:53 pm:

Larry:

Are T-1905 and T-8760 the same length? Just want to make sure your information is correct!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 09:59 pm:

I'm with you Arnie! I'm out of town, and will have to check my car when I get home tomorrow. I don't recall the running board support using the same hole, but it probably does according to the above illustration. I know the RH side uses two different lengths, because of the gas line clip.
Hold on!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 04:39 pm:

Well, I'm home, and I checked that bolt, and it does go through the running board support hole. The exact difference is 3/16" in length, but I'll bet it is 1/4" longer. I'm too lazy to pull out the floorboards and measure. So, if you measure what you will need for the short one, just add 1/4" to it and you'll have it. Several years ago I put a '25 together from parts, and I paid particular attention to the bolts, which are all original Ford bolts. Impossible you say, well perhaps, but bolts have always been my weakness, so I'm sure my bolts are all correct. My last switch on this car was to put in original bed strip bolts for the original 1925 box. The ones that were in it were copies made from an original, but now I don't have to worry about it any longer. Most people are not as anal as I am, but I enjoy this stuff.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration