Speedster steering

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Speedster steering
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 03:13 pm:

I finally got all this stuff lined up and halfway bolted up. I'm about to go get some bolts. So there is still some slop, worn out parts etc but as it is it takes about 4 turns of the wheel to go from straight to all the way left or right. A stock T only takes about 1 1/4. My 47 Hudson takes 2 1/2. So 4 turns may be too much. It has an Overland gear box on the bottom and the T one on top. 4 turns seems like too much. Maybe I should wait until I can drive it, which will be a while, and then I could see if I need to weld up one of the gearboxes, then it would be 2 turns I'm thinking. I think both are 4 to 1.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 03:20 pm:

Hey Corey, are you still using the T planetary gears? You might consider locking the steering wheel to the shaft so that the only ratio involved is the Overland gear box. That would also help with removing slop in the steering.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 03:24 pm:

Page is fragmented (still working on putting it back together) but on here you will see a Vega box on a speedster I built. I think it was 16:1. http://tfoye.com/Gen3/Examples.htm

I used a Suzuki Samarai box and a geo tracker shaft (or the other way around) on my 27 fordor - that was also 16:1 if I remember it right. Made it nice and easy to drive but going from a stock T will leave you with a 2 second panic when you first turn the wheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 03:25 pm:

Yes, and if you take the Overland box apart it is the same thing just on the bottom.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 03:28 pm:

I guess you would never have to worry about the steering wheel jumping out of your hand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 04:18 pm:

I use a VW bus steering box from the late 60's. With the top of column T gears locked, stock VW pitman arm and stock T spindle arms I got 2 1/2 turns lock to lock (full left to full right. Worked great. This past winter, I switched to 20's vintage Chevy spindles and spindle arms in order to lower the front end. The arms are a fair bit longer than T arms so the steering slower a good bit. I then swapped the VW pitman arm for one from a Vega and all is back on track for me.

A combination that provides a full 2 and maybe up to 3 should work out real nicely. I must admit that the newer steering box provides a lot more confidence than the overly quick planetary steering of a stock T. This may not be critical on a T that's driven like a T but it can matter a bunch on a fairly quick speedster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 04:21 pm:

I changed the one in my fordor because at 55+mph a slight side wind would put me in the other lane faster than I could correct it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 04:58 pm:

Tim, what's under the hood of that Fordor that will get it up over 55?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 05:23 pm:

If it is of any interest, I have had some discs laser cut to lock the steering wheel pinion to the triple gear pins

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 06:39 pm:

Les, I know you're having those made for your Ross steering boxes, but how much would one of the discs costs if you were willing to sell it by itself?

I think I'm going to end up swapping my speedster to a '35 Ford box and your disc would be perfect for locking up the steering wheel to the shaft without having to weld anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Magee on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 07:05 pm:

Les, I am interested in your laser locking disc. I am collecting parts for a steering upgrade. Seth and I make two.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 09:07 pm:

Seth &Tom
I'll figure out a cost with postage to the US

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 01:10 pm:

Les - Does this disc fit 26/27 as well as earlier? I could be interested too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 01:27 pm:

That's a good point - my column is a 26/27.

Corey, sorry to high-jack your thread. I do like how you just put the extra box below so you didn't have to modify spark or throttle rods.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 01:30 pm:

It fits '26-7

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 02:12 pm:

Great Les, please add me to your list.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 04:57 pm:

locking disc

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 05:38 pm:

Simple and elegant solution! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 10:51 pm:

That disk would work really well in my country were welding is not permitted in steering components.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 10:58 pm:

Les that is awesome!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 11:34 pm:

Thank you for the kind words

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration