Top to windshield snaps 1920 roadster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Top to windshield snaps 1920 roadster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 10:30 pm:

recently purchased a 1920 roadster that the previous owner drove into a garage and wrecked the top. Another T member helped him replace it a year or two ago before I bought it. There appears to be a double flap hanging down from the front bow. The front one has a male snap on each outside corner. the inner flap comes down to barely cover the back metal of the windshield but there is no snap or attachment to the windshield. It all blows open when driving. My 23 touring has a snap on the inner top iron of the windshield and on a flap that goes behind the windshield. What is it supposed to look like on the roadster?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 07:53 am:

The snap is for side curtains. I have the same problem with my 20 roadster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Dorholt - Mpls, MN on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 05:31 am:

I have the same problem with my 1920 Runabout.
It's almost like the back window piece is to short to allow the front of the top to come down to the windshield. it's always blowing in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 08:45 am:

It looks like the top is not drawn down far enough to the upper frame. A slight tightening of the straps a little at a time in the sun would stretch the top enough. Isn't the inner flap actually the liner for the front flap, they both fit over the upper frame. I would make a set of straps with a snap and hook attached at the top bow pivot for open road driving, easily removed if wanted.just an opinion.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 09:51 am:

I'm sure those snaps were originally Anzo's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 08:58 pm:

In the first place, touring car and runabouts of any given year are alike, or were originally, except for Canadian and some other foreign or custom bodied stuff. However, your '20 should be the earlier style, top sockets are different, but the basic bows, and irons, and fit (except for the shape of the rear window) should all be very close to the same as a 1915 up through much of calendar 1922. With slight fit and detail changes, it should even be similar to a late '12. The front of all these tops was strapped down and forward to hold it in place. Although most (not all of those years) did anchor down to the windshield frame, it was not the top itself that attached to the windshield frame.
Late in 1922, for the '23 model year, the entire top and windshield design was changed to the one-man top and a full windshield frame with real attachments for the top.
So your '20 and your '23 should be totally different.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration