Engine work in Rochester / Buffalo Area?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Engine work in Rochester / Buffalo Area?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 08:57 am:

Anyone have a suggestion for short block engine work (crank .. bearings, valve seats, cylinders etc) in the Rochester / Buffalo / Syracuse area?

Will be bringing home an unrestored car in November and will need to get into the engine. No doubt there will be some work that needs to be done. Having a place within driving distance will save me some money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 11:09 am:

J&M is in Mass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Conklin on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 11:21 am:

Assessing what your engine needs and how you plan to use it can have a drastic effect on how much you need to spend. If you elect to just turn the engine over to a shop, be sure they have experience with T engines.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 12:47 pm:

Why do you assume it will immediately need engine work? My Barney ('25)is as he was found, out of a barn in Nevada---probably for some 50 years. After ten hours of cleaning things out (including mud dauber nests in the intake and valve galley) fresh oil, gas, engine wiring, and a battery--and some slightly better old tires, she started with the hand crank--and sounds better than some restored engines I've heard. Yes, I will check the valves, and if they are two-piece, will replace them, likely will now drop the inspection cover just to check the bearings--oh, and the big job is take the rear axle apart and replace the Babbitt thrust washers (while I'm in there, I will add AC brakes. I probably will also change the bands, just because. New wood bands are here at hand.
One thing you'll learn about Ts, don't fix something that ain't broke (yet)!
:-)
Oh, and welcome to the Affliction. You will better understand that statement after having the car a little while.
9 hours and counting

Why the tires needed changing--it held air!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By doug hauge upstate NY stittville 13469 on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 01:48 pm:

rons machine shop in Sheldon ohio

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 02:13 pm:

Hey David,

Thanks for welcoming m to the T habit ... but I've owned my 1919 model T since around 1981-2. It had a cracked crank and loose mains when I rescued it from a farmers field where it had last been stripped down and used as a tractor. I rebuilt that one including pouring my own rod bearings. Later I used it for traveling medicine shows [google Mark Osterman medicine show and look at pictures].

I moved to Rochester from the Philadelphia area in 2000 and in that year was cut off in traffic and flipped the T. I rebuilt it as a speedster and have been driving it daily (except in heavy snow) for years. I sold my speedster this week to buy this unrestored '23 runabout.

I am planning to keep it as original as I can ... I work in a conservation department in a major museum .. part of the culture. But I want it also want it to be a safe, daily driver. So, I need to go over the drive train and check out what's what. Having a worn bearing fail and send metal flying in the crankcase is never good. :-)

So ... that's why I want to know someone who is a reliable and would like them to be within driving distance of Rochester.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 05:24 pm:

Ah, THAT Mark!! I didn't make the connection. We are kindred spirits, I was a curator until the city decided they didn't need one. Now they are trying to sell off the museums (they have 5).
Looking forward to pictures of your "new" T--but you sold Eastman's CAR??? :-) (somewhat inside joke there)
:-)
David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 05:50 pm:

Ha ... yes, I have gone out to my car in the parking lot of the Museum on many occasions where there are people sitting it it ... looking under the hood. Other occasions I have walked by a group on tour and heard the docents tell the tourist " ..and this is Mr. Eastman's car ..."

For sure I will post pictures of the "new" T before I do anything with it. Conservation is very different than restoration. My intent is to conserve it as best I can yet still have it a daily driver as I used my other one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Rogahn - Davisburg, MI on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 08:47 pm:

Mark Moriarty Warsaw, N.Y. 585-786-2876 Valve-En-Blocs Engine Rebuilding

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration