Oil change?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Oil change?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ken bechtel on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 09:05 am:

Hi all! Engine was hot,i drained the oil overnight and i only got about 3.75 qts. of oil in it until the oil started to drip out of the petcock. is that enough oil? the engine is completely rebuilt so i'm sure it's not a false full. if i put 4 qts.in will it raise the level to high for proper circulation? thanks, Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 09:08 am:

A T engine will hold a gallon of oil if it is dry. 3.75 quarts is about as much as will fit without being overfilled.

When you are pouring in the new oil add the final quart very slowly with the top petcock open. When oil starts dribbling from the top petcock - stop. It is full.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ken bechtel on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 10:41 am:

Thanks Royce! I feel better now . thanks, Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 06:49 pm:

I have yet to get a full 4 qt's in, even after lifting the front and draining the dipper troughs. Remember if the car is sitting flat there is still a lot of oil in the inspection plate area. If it's sitting nose down there is even more. The rings that the plate are screwed to and the dipper troughs kinda hold the oil in a reservoir and it has to flow out the two places on the side where the rings come together.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration