1926 Model T Roadster Fuel Tank

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1926 Model T Roadster Fuel Tank
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By AJ Bowlin on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 10:09 am:

Hello all,

I'm new to owning a model t. I have a 1926 model t Roadster and I've noticed that everytime I put fuel in it, it keeps dripping out from the overflow tube. I put less then 10gal of fuel in it. I believe to have a pin hole in a line inside of the tank. My overflow tube is wet with fuel on outside of tube, and dripping from the inside of the tube non-stop.

So I am wondering if there is anywhere that sells a '26 cowl mounted tank. Thank you very much!

-AJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 10:14 am:

No unfortunately that is one you either repair, have custom made, or find a better one. Better ones are few and far between. I usually fill mine up to about 2" from the top and have no problems. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By AJ Bowlin on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 10:19 am:

G.R.

Thank you for your response! Really appreciate it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 10:19 am:

BTW I see you are a new poster so as we say here welcome to the affliction. There others on this forum who are close to you and even a club in your area that may be able to help you.
Tin Lizzie Club of North Central Florida
c/o John Farr
2163 Callaway Drive
The Villages, FL 32162
Phone: 352-446-0331
or
Model T Ford Club of Central Florida
c/o Michael Story
7469 Swallow Run
Winter Park, FL 32792
good luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Robinson, Salty Bottom, AL on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 10:24 am:

Check the local radiator shops in your area.

Just last summer, I had a '27 tank that had an internal leak into the overflow tube. I took it to a local radiator shop that has the reputation of not turning down any job. They scoped it, found the leak, cut the end off the tank, repaired the leak, blasted the inside of the tank, welded the end back on, then lined the tank w/ethanol proof liner.

All for $95.00.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By AJ Bowlin on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 10:24 am:

Thank you very much for all your help. I filled mine up about 2" from the top of the tank and I leaked out about 2gal from the over flow and it's still dripping as of right now. It drips faster when you have the fuel switch turned on and the car running. I'm not sure of ways to fix my problem....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By AJ Bowlin on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 10:26 am:

Bill,

Thank you very much! I'll see if I can find a place around me that would be able to do it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 10:30 am:

AJ speak of the devil you must be doing something right
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/687275.html?1477232853

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By AJ Bowlin on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 10:45 am:

G.R.

Thank you! Just wrote on his post to through my name out there!

-AJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 11:19 am:

I bought a fuel tank sealing kit but after seeing the attached picture on the Forum I realised that there was no way to really clean the areas behind the baffles. In the end I had my tank cleaned and sealed professionally. Figuring that even the best job won't do a thing if the drain tube springs a leak I requested that the drain tube be sealed as well but this was overlooked. I used some of the product from the kit I had purchased and poured it inside the tube, turning the tank a few times to cover the surfaces well. Then the sealant was drained out and the inside of the drain tube is now protected so if any portion of the tube were to leak it would be sealed in.

If the rest of your tank is in good shape maybe all you need to do is clean and seal the inside of the drain tube. Just a thought.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration