New model t owner ( in a couple of weeks)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: New model t owner ( in a couple of weeks)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Joiner on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 11:11 am:

Hello all, getting my first Model T by the first week of November.

It was running in the last 2 years and I do not expect to run it until next year. But wanted to pick you brains and ask what should I start doing to it over the winter to get it ready? Just some simple steps I should take. Also I have never worked on a Model T before, but I want to and am ready to learn ( kids are older so I have some time) so am I biting off too much, is taking care of a model t too hard for a beginner?

Any advice Thanks Greg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Joiner on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 11:24 am:

It might help to add the year 1917 thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 11:57 am:

As we like to say hereabouts, welcome to the affliction. No. It's not too hard. Many early cars were made for folks who could afford hired help to keep their machines running. The Model T was made for less affluent folks who might need or want to do it themselves. With all the information available, most folks who want to are quite capable of keeping a Model T in running condition.

Start here: http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG80.html

Then go here: http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG93.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 12:37 pm:

Greg, If it was too hard for a newbie to take care of a model T, NONE of us would be here today! Yes, sometimes it seems impossible, but the reward of hearing the coils buzz and the rattle of the fender as she (he?) runs is a just reward!
Drive it??? You want me to drive it??? Buddy don't you know it doesn't really have any brakes!!!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 12:49 pm:

First get a manifold cooker so you can keep your lunch hot..... Just kidding... they are very easy to work on as long as you don't over-think it. It will be fun Trust me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cliff Colee on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 01:28 pm:

Greg: good advice in all posts thus far. Do, however, invest in a copy of the Ford Service Manual. Anything that needs doing is outlined in this 'bible of the Model T Ford'. It is available on the club website, on Amazon, etc.

And before you drive the car much, do check the rear end for presence/absence of babbit thrust washers - this is a PRIMARY safety issue. If the thrust washers are gone, or if the original babbit washers are present, CHANGE THEM. Ignoring this important item puts you at risk of losing all motive power and, more importantly, braking power. Drive safely!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Joiner on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 02:15 pm:

Thanks to all!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 03:42 pm:

Where's the picture?
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 03:52 pm:

Depends on what condition it is. If the body is complete and all the running gear is there, you should check and replace any defective tires. Check for tight connections in the front axle and steering parts, check the transmission bands and replace or adjust them. Check the cooling system for leaks. Check your fan blades for cracks or loose blades and replace if necessary. Check your coils on a hand cranked coil tester (inquire as to whom in your local area has one). Clean the timer. Check the rear axle for bronze thrust washers Replace any plate glass with safety glass if it has not already been done. Check the oil level and start the engine. Listen for knocks and smooth running. If it runs smoothly, change the oil and coolant and you will be ready to roll. If it needs repair you will either need to tighten up the rod bearings which can be done without pulling the engine. Rings and valve grinding can be done in the car. Compression should be around 50 psi on each cylinder and they should all measure closely to the same compression. Actual compression will vary on a warm engine which has been run and an engine which has been idle for a long time, but a few drops of oil in the spark plug holes will help bring the compression up to where it would be in a running engine. Compression will also vary with altitude so you could have between 40 psi and over 50 depending on altitude and type of cylinder head.

If all tests good change the oil and coolant and you are ready to roll.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Joiner on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 04:03 pm:

Thanks again, and Norm I will post a picture in the next day or so

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 04:36 pm:

Greg: be prepared for another "T" to join your herd or group or your single T. I had one and on the Forum several years ago I saw what looked like a nice project and lo and behold another one was started and finished. My next door neighbor is into the Hot Rods and he keeps saying that the extra frame and engine and rear end and front axles is the beginning of another project. So I have to be real careful as it may start to happen.
So go out and get it running as Someone said get a copy of the Model T Ford Service manual, in fact get two one for your house and one for the Garage where the T is parked. The reason is that if you get an idea you have a copy in one of two location for reference. It never fails that you get an idea and heck the book is in the house or it is in the garage, now where is it, I can't find it.
Take care and enjoy the ride and the fun of owning one. I don't remember what my profile photo is but take a look and see what it is!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 04:38 pm:

Welcome to the affliction. -Unlike most, this one is healthy. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Dill on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 09:01 am:

Do your plans change if the Cubs lose?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 11:29 am:

I can relate to your situation. I had looked at this site for a long time dreaming of finding a model T. I found one, a 1921 Touring, in early September. It took 5 weeks to make the deal and get the car home. In the meantime, being excited about the car, I began posting on here with a lot of questions. I found that most guys and/or gals on here are willing and able to help.
Someone pointed out that I posted a lot , 60+ times the first three weeks. I now do a lot of searching before asking questions. Most questions that come up have been discussed already. Enjoy your car and be safe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 11:43 am:

Get on a creeper, and start cleaning, and as mentioned above, start reading the service book.
Hopefully the engine turns over!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration