OT But Old Car Related

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT But Old Car Related
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 03:47 pm:

Anyone have any connections in the petroleum industry or the media?

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/284227-100-anniversary-road-trip/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 04:52 pm:

The Texaco executives in this case are like radio execs who take over a station with an original three-letter ID and add another letter to be real uptown. In other words, clueless.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 09:48 am:

Thanks Steve, I think you hit the nail on the head! At least I know one person bothered to read this.

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 07:41 pm:

Howard, Please do not feel left out in the cold. I followed your link above, and I found it independently on AACA myself. I did not want to comment because I really had nothing constructive to say, and as the world-wide march to stupidity is one of my life-long bugaboos, was afraid I might start ranting again (like that has never happened!).
I found your posting there interesting, and Texaco's lack of interest was not surprising. Corporate America has lost sight of past lessons learned, and mostly does not care about their own wonderful histories. I thought General Motor's killing off of Oldsmobile was one of the dumbest things they ever did. Oldsmobile was the only marque under their umbrella that actually predated Ford, and the only USA marque to reach the past half century to have developed independently of Ford influence (Ransom Eli Olds' first automobile effort was before 1890 (steam car), and they were manufacturing industrial gasoline engines before Ford built his first experimental engine (the "kitchen sink" engine).
I fear that this lack of education and lack of caring about things that are important will lead to the collapse of our society.
Henry Ford, despite a lack of major formal education, and human flaws, being a product of his times, was a brilliant man. As were many of those that brought about that leap mankind took in those decades. Including many in the petroleum industry.
I better shut up now.
Texaco's connections, anniversary, and such, with Maxwell should have been a natural.
Marketing today spends billions of dollars every year trying to con us into buying things we neither want, or need. But they won't spend a little even to promote their own history and success.
Thank you Howard D!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 07:51 pm:

I was going from Denison Tx to Tulsa Ok back in the early 90s and I remember stopping at a Texaco station that was built in the shape of a star. Really old and pretty neat. It's probably been torn down by now

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 11:15 pm:

Thanks Wayne, what really irks me is they refused to help on this re-enactment but had no trouble collecting royalties and free publicity when Ertl made a scale model of this car in 1997 and they also wrote up a nostalgia piece in an internal magazine about the original trip and their involvement.

Howard Dennis

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration