OT WANTED 1930 NASH ENGINE

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT WANTED 1930 NASH ENGINE
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard L Grzegorowicz on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 05:50 pm:

OT NEED TO FIND A GOOD 450 6 CYL, FLAT HEAD ENGINE FOR A 1930 NASH CAR.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 05:53 pm:

Have you tried the Nash Club? They have a national club magazine and a classified section. I don't know if it's on line or not.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 06:30 pm:

Google Nash club of America, they have a on-line classified web site.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard L Grzegorowicz on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 08:42 pm:

thank you guys, yes, this is going to be a tough one,the single six 420 is very hard to come by.its a shame as the car is in wonderfull condition, with just 52.000 on it,Nash had many model;s and they all differ,doing this for a buddy, tried to tell him model t is more fun .GREG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 01:43 am:

What's the situation with the original engine?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 02:04 am:

Without benefit of my 1940 Hollander manual,I believe International Harvester bought or stole this design and used it for many years as the Green Diamond engine. From say the middle 30's to '48.Put a bunch of miles on my Dad's KB-5 dump truck. Some of them piled high with rusty T touring cars. Those were the days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 02:10 am:

Oooops, remembered wrong.The IH Green Diamond was a Willys design. It was a Federal truck I was around used a Nash engine. Sorry. Serves me right, trying to think at 2 am.. ..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard L Grzegorowicz on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 09:58 am:

THANK GUYS,THIS SHURE IS A SHAME,THE OWNER BOUGHT THIS ,CAR FROM STORRAGE THE ENGINE SIZED ON A DRIVE,ITS A BEAUTIFULL COUPE.SOME ONE PUT SOMETHING IN THE ENGINE,OIL HAS A VERY BAD SMELL.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 10:07 am:

Maybe it's just a seized piston? Maybe something that you or he can fix without a whole engine?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 10:15 am:

Maybe all is not lost on the engine. If it were mine I would pull the engine and check it out. Your going to have to pull it anyway.

Sometimes old engines can be saved. More than a few engines that got hot and seized were thrown out.
I would at least try before its carried to the scrap yard and sold for scrap.

Your going to be EXTREAMLEY lucky if you find another engine you can just drop in like this.
They aren't common like a T engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 12:07 pm:

Yes, take the engine out and find out what's wrong--might not be anything "big." My Model A is running an engine that sat in a front yard for decades (whole chassis did) with no plugs in it, owner wouldn't let it go, then when he died, it went to the local auto junk yard, where I bought it. Took me some time soaking the pistons and using a wood block to drive them out. Bored block for new pistons, and all the other necessary stuff, and it's doing great for some 30 years. That engine has been kept indoors, it'll be in a lot better shape.
Besides, you'll probably have to rebuild the "new" engine you get.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Humphrey on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 02:25 pm:

Richard, Never write off pistons and a block or crank... Please check it out first.. don't just go looking for another engine. And good luck on the project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard L Grzegorowicz on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 04:26 pm:

BEEN DOWN ALL THOSE ROADS,WHAT EVER WAS PUT IN THIS ENGINE GROUND IT TO A HALT.I WISH I COULD PUT UP PICTURES,YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE YOUR EYES,I'M NOT GOING TO TOSS THIS ENGINE,BUT BY TRYING TO LOCATE ONE THAT WILL TAKE LESS WORK WOULD SAVE MY CUSTOMER A LOT OF MONEY.IF WE COULD TAKE THE ENGINE APART AND COULD SAVE THE BLOCK AND I'M NOT SURE WE CAN,WHEN TRYING TO TAKE THE RODS APART WE USED A PUNCH AND A HAMMER.NO LUCK.THAT;IS WHEN I SAID LETS SEE IF WE CAN LOCATE ANOTHER ENGINE,IF NOT? I'M NOT SURE WHERE I GO NEXT.I WILL POST WHAT'S GOING ON WITH IT.GREG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 04:30 pm:

"WHEN TRYING TO TAKE THE RODS APART WE USED A PUNCH AND A HAMMER"

What???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 04:39 pm:

I agree with the Nash club. You have to join to post an ad, but you will find your engine that way. A lot of members have the parts in their sheds and barns, I found a lot of hard to find parts that way. I used to belong, but no longer own a Nash.

http://www.nashcarclub.org/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 02:14 am:

I gave a '29 Standard 6 Nash engine and transmission away some years ago. I have a '29 Nash std. six 4 door landau sedan.
The engine had 12,000 miles on it. It ran.
'29 and '30 used the same engine in the Std. 6,
They had a good engine, 5 main bearings. That engine had some updates, like a fuel pump, and was used in the the LaFayette, Nash 600 and finally the Nash Rambler and after AMC was formed it was used in the Rambler American for many years. It was the 196 flathead six.

There was also an overhead valve 6 and an overhead valve eight in '29 and '30.
After the war they dropped the eight. They only had two cars, the Lafayette became the Nash 600, it would go 600 miles on the 20 gallons of gas it held-providing it had overdrive, and the Ambassador used the overhead valve 236 six engine. I have a '48 Nash Ambassador.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 11:47 am:

Aaron, I live in Kenosha where the Nashes and Ramblers were made. I even worked there for about 2 years in the mid '60's, first on the engine line and later on final assembly.

Since American Motors was bought out by Chrysler, the whole plant was shut down, and now it has been torn down - leveled down to the ground. Very sad to go by there and see the whole thing gone.

If you ever get back to Wisconsin and Kenosha I'll give you a guided tour showing all the car production places in town and whats left of them. There are some former Nash and AMC buildings left.

It's so sad that all of this is gone. :-(

I could also take you to the Snap - on World Headquarters. They have a company museum inside their World Headquarters that has a '23 T Roadster with a salesman's box on it. It's a replica of a Snap - on salesmans route car.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 01:11 am:

Keith, my '29 was made in Kenosha. My '48 was made in L.A.
I'm from Wisconsin but I never go back there anymore.
I no longer buy Snap On tools either. I just can't pay 35 bucks for a screwdriver.
I do buy that great AMSOIL they make up there in Superior though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 01:08 pm:

You might contact Harold Olson in Conrad, Montana. He has or had a variety of engines and knows pretty much every car collector in the state and what they have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 10:31 pm:

You need to contact Mark Freimiller at Model T Haven. He has much more than Model T stuff.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration