Distributor Gears

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Distributor Gears
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sam Mendenhall on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 06:41 pm:

I was in the process of installing a Bosch distributor when I found out the cam gear has a 1/2" I.D., my cam shaft is 5/8? This is a unused original Bosch not the new one. Is there a gear for this? and if it was a original for a T as I bought it, why would it have a 1/2 I.D. My question, Lang's has a conversion kit. Or do I go with a new distributor they offer. I could have the gear machined to 5/8 but I think the wall thickness would be to thin. Has anyone ran into this problem. Any suggestions. Thanks..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 07:00 pm:

Langs sells the gears for the clip on or do you have the front plate type they sell the gears for those too. Sounds like you have two shaft gears.
You could get it reamed out but the cam gear also has a groove for a pin/key in it. While chances of it moving on the shaft might be slim, it does not hurt to "pin/key" it in place. I just use an pin that holds the bush/rotor in place with the side filed straight.
Or put an ad in the classifieds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sam Mendenhall on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 07:45 pm:

Thanks Mark, mine is the front plate type. The gear I have just isn't correct. I will contact Lang's tomorrow and check with them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 07:51 pm:

Cam shaft should be 9/16"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sam Mendenhall on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 07:59 pm:

You are right Frank it is 9/16. I just eye balled for the discussion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 08:00 pm:

This might be what you need;
https://www.modeltford.com/item/BO2.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sam Mendenhall on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 08:13 pm:

I think you got it Mark, thanks, wonder if I need the lock nut it shows below.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 09:57 pm:

I may have just a cam gear if Langs can't accommodate you. FYI- the distributor gear id is .490"- not .500"
Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 12:50 am:

Yes you will need the lock nut.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration