Electric fuel pump-6v

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Electric fuel pump-6v
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 07:14 pm:

Any one here run a 6 volt fuel pump? Do you have to also run a pressure regulator? How well do they work in all round driving conditions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 07:23 pm:

Tyrone
Assuming you have a stock T carb, then yes you want a pressure regulator.
Properly installed (lower than the tank is my preference or at least even with the bottom of the tank) and they work fine
Above the tank is a recipe for trouble

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard A Eddinger Sacrament Ca on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 08:44 pm:

They should also be mounted as close to the tank as possible.They push better than suck fuel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 10:20 pm:

thank you all. Yeah, I built a speedster and now I find unless I have at least a half tank of gas, I run out going up the hill I live on. As my grandmother Rosanna Rosannadanna always said, "just goes to show, if it's not one thing, it's another."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 10:26 pm:

I've dealt with the pressure problems electric fuel pumps create on my fathers 1928 Chevrolet. The floats can't handle the pressure of those pumps. I need to replace the pump on that car so I can sell it and I was wondering if I used a 12 volt pump with the stock 6 volt system would that possibly solve the pressure problem.

Any thoughts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 10:48 pm:

Napa and most other parts places sell adjustable pressure regulators. I've used one on my speedster for over 20 years with no problems. Put the pump near the tank. Doesn't much matter where the regulator goes between the pump and carb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 10:52 pm:

Gary, the 12V pump will most likely not work at all on 6v. The pressure regulator is the way to go. (Or fixing the original vacuum tank)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 11:04 pm:

Some years ago I installed a 6V electric fuel pump in a friend's TT. Not surprisingly, the pressure was a little high, but with a resistor in series with the pump it worked very well. The value of resistor was critical and had to be found experimentally (I may have used a rheostat to find the optimum value).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 01:06 am:

Moss Motors, the MG, Triumph, etc., company has a low pressure 6 volt pump that works without a pressure regulator providing about 1.25 psi. You can find them on google.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 01:54 am:

I have run an electric 12v pump ( my T runs 12v) for about ten years, and am very happy with it. I have an adjustable regulator set to about 1.5 psi. Easy to convert back to stock in the event of a pump failure, but the pumps are so small and cheap, I keep a spare in the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 08:49 am:

I run a Carter 6v pump that I purchased from one of the parts vendors with followed by an in-line filter close to the tank, and a Holley regulator mounted on the firewall (engine side) at 1.5 lbs pressure into a Stromberg RF. Runs great, no problems with it so far. Plenty of fuel supplied to my RAJO head. I also have one of the outputs from the regulator going to a pressure gauge on my dashboard. Make sure you get a regulator that handles the low pressure range (1-4 lbs, I think it is).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 09:48 am:

I run a cheap one I bought from Advanced Auto on my 46 Plymouth. only puts out 3 psi so it doesnít need a pressure regulator. I only need it for starting so I have a bypass check valve so after the motor is running I secure the fuel pump and fuel feeds by the electric pump with no resistance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 10:49 am:

I have used a 6V, Airtex E8011 for many years. Even though the pressure is rated at 5 - 8 psi it has never been a problem... until I recently replaced it with a new one. Now, it slightly overpressures the carburetor, (Carter WO). I have a 6V, Airtex E8902 on order. They put out 2.5 - 4 psi.

You can find them on eBay & Amazon and probably other places too.

Don't mount them near heat. They don't like to get hot and will cut-out if you do. Just mount it where there's free flowing air and you'll be fine.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration