OT: Whatsit wheel?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT: Whatsit wheel?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 03:02 am:

Among some 30" demountable wheels I bought there was one odd front wheel:

W1
W2

It's the left wheel that isn't Model T.
Looks similar, but the outer flange on the steel felloe is folded to the outside compared to inwards on the Ford wheel to the right. Four lugs, but a Ford rim doesn't fit well and the hub is larger in diameter. The short hubcap thread is 2-3/8" 18 tpi.
Could it be early 20's Chevrolet before the disc wheels?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 04:16 am:

I had a pair of those, many years ago. They came on a Ford axle, but had Chevrolet hubcaps on them. I took them to a swap meet, and a fellow told me that they were in fact Chevrolet, and he bought them for his car. That doesn't in fact mean that it IS Chevrolet? But most likely it is. I think the small Overland also used a similar wheel. That rolled-out flat sure did make the rim fit nice and straight!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 05:01 am:

I have a pair of front 21" Hayes wire wheels with the same felloe with the out turned outer lip. They will not take a Ford rim. The Hayes rims to suit are like hen's teeth.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 05:27 am:

Thanks Wayne and Allan. Forgot to write that the suspected Chxxy wheel has ball bearings races = another circumstantial evidence :-)

(Message edited by Roger K on October 24, 2016)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration