Matching timing gears

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Matching timing gears
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sam Romeo on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 10:49 am:

I just bought a pair of timing gears (by accident) that seemed a bit more expensive than others I've seen advertised.
They were made by Dan McEachern. Are they worth the extra cost vs the gears sold by other manufactures? If yes then why and also is there a problem with using a bronze timing gear from Chaffin's with a brand X crank gear from say Lang's? To me it shouldn't make any difference but I don't have enough experience with Model T's and the various vendors yet to make a knowledgeable decision. Can anyone advise me on this?
Thanks
Sam

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 10:55 am:

Sam,

I don't know what the quality or pricing is for other gears. I can only speak for Dan's gears which are very high quality and the gears that I use. I believe there are 2 choices for crank gears, heat treated & un-heat treated. I suspect the cheap ones are soft.

As for Chaffin's gears, I haven't used them but I have great respect for his products. I'm sure they're good as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 11:22 am:

Dan's gears have a great rep. That's what's going in my 1923 touring's engine rebuild.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 11:38 am:

One plus for using both gears from Dan. You can be assured they are cut right and matched. Changing the gears is not something you want to do every day, so IMO that's worth a little more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 11:49 am:

Sam, sorry for your accident, but for $25, I'll relieve you of your "mistake." Happy to help out!!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 06:32 pm:

For the most quiet and long-lasting operation, always use gears in a set in which both (all) were cut on the same machine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 08:39 pm:

If I could afford to, Dan's gears are the only ones I would use (the bronze big gear). Since I am broke, I only use good original steel gears, at least until I run out of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 09:00 pm:

Dan's gears have the best reputation. That being said the Model T timing gears are not rocket science and mixing or matching gears from two different manufacturers should cause no problems. I used a new steel crank gear I bought from Wards or Sears in 1962 with an aluminum time gear I bought from Bob's in 2001. They worked fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 08:38 pm:

Our Bronze gears are made by Dan. our crank gears are made by Gearles. They work just fine together.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration