Info on value of this 1919 model T touring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Info on value of this 1919 model T touring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By robert steinmetz on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 01:01 pm:

I am looking at a 1919 model T touring with a 14 foot enclosed trailer in good shape but will need new tires. The model T has electric start, new wooden wheels and tires, rebuilt engine in 2014,new gas tank, new carb., new alternator, new top and cover, seats original but perfect. New pant job 4 years ago. Updated brakes for safety. Original fenders kept but new ones were put on. Has original parts, gasket set, owner manual and tools to work on. He is the second owner and has restored it. He kept all receipts of work done along with pictures of restore. He drives it at least 5 times a week and runs very well. He wants 22,000 but not sure if this is fair price. Can any help with information. Thanks Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 01:06 pm:

Does the trailer or the car need new tires?

The price sounds a little high but I'm not very knowledgeable about enclosed trailer prices so this might be a good deal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 01:08 pm:

Pictures, the more the better. Does it have the original Coils or has it been switched to a distributor. Does it have a water pump if it does it could be hiding a bad radiator.... too much goes into a valuation without seeing pictures but FWIW 22,000 would be top dollar for a perfect car without the trailer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By robert steinmetz on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 01:23 pm:

Wheel and tires new on car. It has original coil and two extras along with extra spark plugs. Getting use to using this forum please be patient. I will upload pictures.no water pump. updated oil line that feeds the number one main bearing. updated starter and alternator. chevy valves with the hardened seats. two speed rear end. also has a extra new wheel as a spare. Has tools, gaskets, coil tester and service manual.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By robert steinmetz on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 01:28 pm:

Here a pictures thank you for your help

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By robert steinmetz on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 01:30 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By robert steinmetz on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 01:30 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 01:31 pm:

Without actually seeing the car, I'd say your description puts it in the high price neighborhood. If the trailer is as good as the description of the car sounds, the high price may be valid.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 01:37 pm:

Well it's not show car, more of a driver from the pic you provided. Nothing wrong with that but it makes me think the asking price is optimistic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 01:37 pm:

Can't tell much from the one photo, but it has a few nice accessories. You will get negative reaction from the added gauges.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By robert steinmetz on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 01:38 pm:

Trying to get pocs to post having trouble

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 01:45 pm:

I have never seen "Snap Down" upholstery on a "T" before. I don't think the upholstery is original from what I can see from one picture the price seems "Optimistic"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 01:48 pm:

There's a 250 KB limit on file size. I keep my full size originals for future use and make a copy to resize. To resize you can use one of the free resizing websites or the program on your computer. If you're using a Mac I can give you the steps for resizing. If you're stuck with Windows, one of the other guys can tell you. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By robert steinmetz on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 01:48 pm:

Could not post pics not sure why but any idead from info value of the car. It will be a driver and not a show car. Waited to but one i want to enjoy it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 01:59 pm:

Upholstery looks correctly detailed in the photo for a '19. Also it has no dash, which again is typical of a '19 open car. You got the one photo on Robert. Do you remember how you did that?

I use the Microsoft Office photo resizer, which is super simple. Click here:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=instructions+on+resizing+photos+with+microso ft+office&&view=detail&mid=3196FD0B6D96C40932523196FD0B6D96C4093252&FORM=VRDGAR

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By robert steinmetz on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 02:08 pm:

my wife is the computer one and she is doing tax stuff. I own a corvette shop in Brevard and the model is definitely foreign to me. Is there anyway I could email the pics I have thank you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 02:25 pm:

A little high. Car value is no more than $15,000 and that would be an extra nice car. Maybe show quality. I wonder why the spark lever is all the down in full advance position. You can see it in the picture. I wonder if the car was running when the pic was taken. The gas lever looks to be about 1/3 of the way down.
The added gauges and any 'extra stuff' some people would question.
Not sure about the trailer value but it at least have good to new tires on it for the package price he wants.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 02:43 pm:

Just trying to be helpful here....please take it that way...

Robert, you have two threads going on simultaneously...one here on the Forum and the other on the classifieds .
This will tend to get confusing as the days and posts progress...some folks will post on one thread and not see the other, and you and your wife will wind up spending a lot of time looking at both sections.

If I may be so bold...please consider writing an e-mail to Chris, the Administrator, and ask him to combine the posts so you and folks who wish to help you only look in one place.

Also, as Steve J has said, the limit on posting pictures is fairly small....I do think that you would be happier in the future if you learned how to resize your pics. It may be that you will have many more questions in the future.

Good luck with your possible purchase...it does look interesting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By robert steinmetz on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 02:59 pm:

john kuehn could I please email you some pics of the car and see if you think what I should offer. thank you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 04:09 pm:

Someone did a real crappy job installing that interior! It certainly is NOT original! The gauges take away from it as well......

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 04:41 pm:

Robert, i would be more than happy to post your pics for you if you can't get them to work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 05:46 pm:

Robert if you want to get an idea of what a 14ft enclosed trailer value is go to Craigs list and do a search for that size trailer.

I just did that and found several for sale ranging from $2800.00 to around $4500.00 or more for a new one.
That's here in Central Texas where I live.

With that being said you will get different ideas of a package value here on the forum regardless of pictures.
Remember you can always go up in price if you make an offer.
My opinion of a realistic value of the car and trailer would start from the premise that the car is a nice driver $10-12000.00. Since the trailer needs new tires and probably was used when the present owner bought it would be $2200.00.
That's my opinion which is just mine.
Hope this help you Robert.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 05:48 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 05:49 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 05:52 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 05:56 pm:

It is easy to spend $25,000 restoring one of these. It looks nice, probably retail price is around $12,000 if it runs well. Looks like it has a Ruckstell or a Warford.

Anyone buying it would want to see under the car and under the hood photos too.

Nice front yard with all those trees.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 05:59 pm:

I see- an extra shifter which indicates some type of extra gears- that is good.

I also see one of Fun Projects gauges that measures output of the magneto- that is a plus if the magneto works.

I also see some type of electronic measuring device on the seat- probably tests the coils. Process of elimination indicates coils & mag. If they are operable, you are fine. If not deduct 2 grand or so for repairs.

Detailed pics would definitely help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 06:05 pm:

It looks like a nice car. New tires for a trailer is a little deal. Take Royce's 12k for the car and add 4.5 k if it's a very nice trailer. You could offer him 16.5k for car and trailer or 12 k for the car alone and see what happens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 06:11 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 06:33 pm:

The price seems a little high to me, too.

Does the starter comes with the car?

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 06:49 pm:

That is really awful upholstery. It's not original as you indicated. Very poorly installed. A common malady with antique cars yet so easily preventable.

Also, putting the top down incorrectly in that manner is a great way to rip or tear it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Peterson on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 07:35 pm:

I like to see what people are willing to pay for very mediocre cars. Nobody would want to pay me over $9500. There is a lot of dings, and below average paint and interior. If you pay prices like that you will be another person who wonders why the prices of Model Ts go down so much when you want to sell it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 09:09 pm:

I hate appraising other people's cars. But I see too many flaws in the paint, bodywork, and upholstery, for it to be a high value car. Restoration costs are expensive, no matter how you look at it. That makes it somewhat valuable even as it is. It would be a wonderful car to have and enjoy. I often comment that the perfect T is one that is nice enough to park next to other really nice cars, and not to feel ashamed of it, but flawed enough to not worry about scratches and dings from the use of enjoying it. I don't like to worry about picnic baskets or shoes being placed on my running boards. And a simple rattle can of gloss black is how I want to touch them up. It looks like the perfect T to me.
That said, I would put its value at no more than $10,000. The trailer also raises a few flags.
Good luck! If you cannot make a good deal on this one? There are lots of others out there.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 09:10 pm:

Used trailer needing tires? What $2.5 to 3.5 G's max. The Car? It's a middle of the run plain black T. The added gears and it's running are plusses. That ripped up dash, the don't need 'em/want 'em gauges and the interior are negs. $ 7.5 to 8 G's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 09:18 am:

If you want to see what an original car looks like check out my ad. Here is a link
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/3487/674749.html?1477401405
Thanks, Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 11:35 am:

I guess since this is my car in question I will chime in here and let everyone know what's gone into her

Engine / transmission completely done front to back by George King
Glenn Chaffin Ruckstell two speed rear
Spokes,tack strip and rear armrest wood done by Stutzmans wheelwright shop
New AC brakes installed by Gator Gould
Oil pan checked and aligned by Gator Gould
New Langs king pins and bushing
New Langs tie rod pins
Three new front bearings,races and 4 seals
New Langs APCO Radius rod ball spring loaded accessory ball cap
New Langs APCO accessory spring loaded ball cap
New Langs Hydraulic stabilizer
Fun Project morden coil box kit
Langs Sealed bearing fan pulley
New crankshaft pulley
New balanced crankshaft
New Stipe touring camshaft
NH carburetor from Snyder's
New fuel tank
Inline fuel filter
4 Champion X, original take-apart style plug with brass top
High Comp Z head
New wiring harness
Halogen headlight bulbs
Larry Becker 12 volt Alternator and starter, When Larry was still with us.
XY Adjustable Ring and pinion
New drive shaft brass bushing
New axles
New top done by an Amish carriage shop in Pa
Coils done by Brent Mize <the>
New Burgs flat core radiator and hoses
New fuse panel.
New Safety hubs
New side covers done by the same Amish carriage shop.
All four tires are Firestones.
Two place lighter adapters for accessory 12 volt power. (to power gps, cell phone or what ever) This is siliconed under the coil box, easily removed if not wanted.

The gauges are just siliconed in place and no holes were ever drilled, very easy to remove.
When Gator did the oil pan I had him remove the Mag. I've seen the damage first hand of what happens when a magnet comes loose. It's not a pretty sight.

Between the paint,top, engine and all the extra's Iv got a little under $30,00 invested into this car. And thats not mentioning the countless hours of work and travel.

He's getting two new never seen the road mounted Firestone spare tires, Two spare original front fenders, Two Spare Brent Mize coils, An assortment of original tools, Two spare Champion X, original take-apart style spark plugs.

Im sure there are other things that I have forgotten.
Anyone thats ever done a car from top to bottom knows the countless hours of sweating the details that goes into a full restoration. It's not easy but it is a labor of love and thats what I've put into her.

Mr Steinmetz is not going to hurt my feeling in any way if he chooses to not buy the car. This car is a piece of me. But I am getting older and it is getting more difficult for me to drive. It's time for me to let her go to another that will care for her as I have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 12:37 pm:

Isn't a little knowledge a wonderful thing?

Sure has a lot of "good stuff" in that auto, and should provide many years of trouble free fun driving.

Good Luck Will.

(And any update on your grandson that you'd care to share?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 01:18 pm:

Dave, Im sorry you didnt hear, We lost James April 15th this year. We all thought the surgery was a success, In the end the cancer would not let him go. It had spread to his skull and then to his blood. There was nothing left for the doctors to do. I was holding him when he passed from us and I hoping that he knew how much we all loved him. Im not crying as much as I was but it is still very hard. I miss him so much everyday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 02:05 pm:

I am sorry to bring back bad news....I did not hear.
Another angel to watch over us.

With prayers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 03:51 pm:

Im ment to say $30,000. He is also getting the original Starter and generator. The trailer is a 2010 14ft V nose. Three of the tires are three years old, one is new this last june. All four tires are spin balanced to reduce any road vibration.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 04:00 pm:

7500 for the Dan Hatch sea high to me. Royce's 12k seems like a reasonable price for this car. The most important thing about a car is not the price but if you like it. If you like your car then it will be just fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Sutton on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 04:51 pm:

Will I am so sorry to hear the news. I had prayed for his surgery and thought he was on the mend. I will pray for your family. You will see him again.

Good luck on the car. That is a ton of work in the engine alone, and a great trailer to go with it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration