Drat! I'm 0 for 2...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Drat! I'm 0 for 2...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 05:56 pm:

...on reverse drums.

The brake drum and the two low drums look OK, but these are a no-go. I'm afraid I may run out of transmissions to dismantle, and have to spend real money on a good drum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 06:11 pm:

Why don't you stop drill the crack on the second one, then vee it out and braze it up. Then you can decide whether to pitch it or use it. In any case it would be fun attempting to save it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 06:21 pm:

I wonder how many drums have been in service for many years with cracks in them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 08:31 pm:

I wonder how many cracked from rapid cooling the day they were cast? Those thin webs are exactly where I would expect one to crack during manufacture. I doubt they would have seen them not being subject to dirty oil to make them visible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 08:32 pm:

I've been in the business of repairing Model T's for 40 odd years and have only seen a couple of uncracked original U.S. made reverse drums. The Canadian drums fare a little better, but not much.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/522825.html?1425511489

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 10:33 pm:

I have a 'questionable' brake drum I bought on Ebay that has a small crack next to a bolt hole. The drum looks really nice. I discovered the crack when I cleaned it up. I'm like some on the forum that more than a few T's ran a good while having cracked drums that no one knew about.
I wonder how many cracked drums slipped by the assembly line when T's were being put together at the rapid rate they were moving down the line.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 01:05 am:

I took apart I think 7 transmissions, trying to find all good drums. Was just about to give up and start saving for new ones. When I stumbled onto a couple good used drums. Also had a bit of a hard time finding a crack free flywheel, after I cracked my good one pressing in new pins :-( I am leaning though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 12:06 pm:

The answer here is obvious .... take your forward band and install it backwards ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 12:17 pm:

Earlier thread about the reverse drum crack problem: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/522825.html?1425511489

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 01:32 am:

Make that 0 for 4. One of today's drums had a crack. The other had no cracks, but there was another problem with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 03:31 am:

Rivet another gear onto it. Are the gears on the other cracked drums okay?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 05:33 am:

(shade tree mode here..) There are always two other gears in contact when the faulty one is in use and it's the least used drum - maybe it's possible to live with that flaw? Just round the edges a little..
Though, I wonder why it broke? Maybe it wasn't properly heat treated and is more brittle than usual..?

I guess I would have drilled the rivets and swapped gears in the end, since it's so tedious to pull the transmission again..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 01:24 pm:

Steve,

I can't see that nicked tooth ever being a problem for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 03:07 pm:

I don't think so either. Wonder how long it ran before anybody noticed it.
As a precaution you could use a small file and file down any sharp edges on the broken tooth to avoid them possibly touching when its turning.

I have to think how many transmission drums left the factory in running cars that had small flaws in them and ran for years. Could be the transmissions we tear down to find parts ran and ran before we got a hold of them. Matter of fact I know they did by how hard they are to apart sometimes!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 03:45 pm:

When I put my '25 transmission together, I went through 5 transmissions before finding a good one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 06:45 pm:

I was going to say, "Run it" but then I looked at the tooth to the left of it--that's a pretty good wear groove towards the root of the tooth. Think I would find another gear. And then there's the funny spot at the root of that tooth. Nope, no way would I put that in a tranny to use.
RATS!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 02:25 pm:

Fairly sure I have nice hubs Steve If you are in need I am Shure they are not that hard to change and check all though I never have done one. I do have a lathe for checking. Must have taken twenty transmissions to find a few with nice complete reverse drums with gears.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lester in Floyd, VA on Friday, October 28, 2016 - 05:30 pm:

Here's what I did this morning.Reverse drum weld

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration