OT I wish all forums were this helpful...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT I wish all forums were this helpful...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 07:06 pm:

Just wanted to rant for awhile, and this seems like the place to do it. Even if it's not, I'm going to do it anyway.

I'm a member of several online forums, and most of the time they are all very helpful. Earlier this month I had a very irritating thread I started on another forum, but I won't say which one. It won't help me in any way, so there's no point. Anyway, after two weeks and ninety-five views, nobody has been able to help me. Not even one of those "This is so obvious if you know how to use Google, you moron" posts. I'd even take that at this point.

Anyway, I'd just like to give a big thank you to everyone on this forum. I don't think there's ever been a post on this forum that didn't receive some sort of follow-up comment from somewhere. I wish it was always that simple.

Now karma is going to kick in and nobody will comment on this thread. But that's happened before, so maybe I'll get used to it one day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 07:10 pm:

Well, I'll start out to prove you wrong by saying "You're welcome" at any rate and say, keep on posting because yes, this forum is one of the greatest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 07:41 pm:

I'm a member of the Hudson forum and the International Harvester forum but I haven't looked at them in a while. It takes forever to get an answer sometimes. I guess because of the wide range of years and fewer of them around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 07:53 pm:

There are other forums ???
You are absolutely right Jared these people are the best !
I'm a newbee since spring . They are always there to help.
Drive safe and often

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 07:58 pm:

Jared,

Not only is this forum a great place to get advice on the Model T's many of the folks are knowledgeable about other topics they either have parked in their garage, their hanger, or they used to work on or still are employed making them etc.

Additionally they are just a great group of people. The vast majority of the posts are helpful and encouraging. We are blessed to have such a great group of folks we can ask for help not only for our cars, but even for prayers when it is one of those things that "duct tape" or "WD-40" can't fix. :-)

And while it probably would be an OT thread -- you can also try posting it here. You never know, they may have just the information or lead you are looking for. And putting a photo will get many of us to stop and take a look.

Someone important once said, "None of us is as smart as all of us are together."

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 08:29 pm:

One Big Dysfunctional Family At Thanksgiving Dinner ....

That is my definition of the MTFCA forum.

Somehow we all manage to get along (for the most part).

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 11:29 pm:

Until Uncle Jim digs out the bagpipes!! :-)
Jared, this is the best bunch of folks I've ever known. I have some "other cars" and I've gotten help here, even with my "Modern Iron." (my wife's car has a new engine thanks to this forum)The other forums are so inactive compared to this one!
Hey, they even put up with my bad puns!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 01:06 am:

When Uncle Jim digs out the bagpipes is my cue to dig out the 9-iron .... THWACK !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 01:15 am:

Burger, what about the accordion players???
Bagpipe players march when they play because it's harder to hit a moving target. . . .

:-)
See Jared, what other forum would put up with guys & gals like us??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 01:16 am:

Yup, this forum is a total anomaly not only in the amount of activity but also the breadth of knowledge and backgrounds of the participants.

I've posted on other forums where it'll get hundreds of views and not one response.

I hope it continues and we do not someday find ourselves reminiscing about how it used to be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 05:04 am:

I LOVE the sound of bagpipes!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 08:59 am:

Tim, I guess there's a first time for everything. I thought I was wrong one other time, but I was mistaken.

Corey, my problem was posted on a late model truck forum. Usually it's a regular beehive of activity, but I guess they're running out of will to live or something, because they don't seem to be as helpful as they used to be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 09:54 am:

You folks give me too much credit .....

( I had to look up the correct spelling of the slang term for my ethnic origin - I had been spelling it wrong ..... )

Nice to think this dumb polack would have the talent or ambition to play a musical instrument .... :-)

A nicely laid laced sand wedge will change my attitude as my ex wife will attest to .....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 10:03 am:

Got a laugh at your first post Freighter. Kind of a "Media Thanksgiving". We're all nuts in our own way but it seems to work quite well. We agree to disagree a lot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 10:25 am:

Wait a minute Hap! Jest what is it that can't be fixed with either Duct Tape or WD40? If it moves and it shouldn't Duct Tape it, If it don't move and it should soak it in WD40... What else is there? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 11:01 am:

David Dewey, I visit this forum looking for your puns! ;D

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 01:41 pm:

Eric, Uh oh, get thee to a mental health clinic--quick!
F. Jim, When I posted that Bagpipe comment, I wasn't even thinking of you when I came up with "Uncle Jim" -- glad you weren't offended! And I'll bet you could play my player piano! :-)
Now Sheldon and I know each other and we're of the same mental ilk, so I understand his liking bagpipes (I do too--played well, that is!)
GR, there's also Kroil!! :-)
So here I sit on this rainy (YES!!) morning, like most piano tuners, a bit strung-out, but as soon as I repair this broken piano leg, I'll be a leg up on things!
Hey, you in the audience, put down that ripe tomato!...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 05:12 pm:

"I LOVE the sound of bagpipes!" You, Sir, are mental !!! :-)

A mechanised way to recreate the sound of fingernails on a chalkboard
is all bagpipes are.

Accordian ? They can be made to sound as obnoxious as bagpipes,
or they can be played like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rxElSlpMjw

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 05:31 pm:

This kind of stuff is as much fun to see being played as it is to hear it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZX6QTtyoJs

As a recovering musician and guitar player, this kid's nearly effortless
fingertip outflow turns me green with envy ! Just watch him look about
as if petting a cat as he nails that lightning fast stuff with perfect timing
and accuracy ! And, if memory serves, he was only 15 or 18 at the time
of this show !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA5ImnVj9Eo

Some people are born musicians. Others, like me, are just hacks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 06:06 pm:

One of my toy train friends is Myron Florin's nephew. If you've never heard him when NOT on the Lawrence Welk show, where he could "let loose" you've missed some amazing playing. His sister, my friend's mother, could also play amazingly, although she told me, "nothing like Myron could do!"
Accordion Players and Bagpipers both suffer from many jokes. Drummers often do too--what do you call a drummer that can read music? A Myth! -- for example.
OK piano work break is over, back to shaping hammers (I'd rather be working on the T).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 07:27 pm:

Burger in S, well, if you could successfully play a musical instrument, I envy you. I have tried, and taken lessons (when I was a kid). The only thing I could ever play was a phonograph!

As for liking the sound of bagpipes? I have never denied being a mental case.

David D, Are you sure that you want to admit knowing me?

:-)

Me, currently listening to "Scotland the Brave" on my headphones! (Fantastic!!!!!!!!!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 11:28 pm:

About 15 years ago I and my partner were doing a "turn", preparing a vacated
commercial office space for new tenants. Every day at breaks and lunch, some
boob would appear in the parking lot in the whole kilt garb and proceed to share
that gawdawful noise with everyone within earshot. He was met with lots of yelling
of anything from angry suggestions to take it elsewhere to death threats from others
working in the building.

After a few days of this, as he again shared the love, his pipes went "soft" and
had the sound of a dying animal. I went over the the window to see what happened
and Mr. Bags was picking his ass up off the ground and holding his head. A lot of
blood was present.

Turned out, someone made good on their disdainful threat/s and pinged the guy's
bean with a beer bottle from a 1000-to-1 distance.

He promptly found other quarters in which to ply his noisemaking. A Special Forces
"spook" group that moved throughout my AO in AFG left "calling cards" with a saying
on them that this story reminds me of: "Problem solved, problem stays solved" !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 12:10 am:

Wayne, so that's the name of that song we all know! Or all of us SHOULD know.
Burger, I think I like Italian jazz and find it a bit easier to understand than our own...
Did anyone else catch the last part of the last link Burger posted? OK, a Godfather bit and I laughed my backside off!
See what you started Jared?
No one commenting on your thread?.... Bwahahahaha! :-)
Thread drift? Nah, these folks just won't have it. Nor will I...
Part of the charm eh?
These folks ARE a fine resource aren't they Jared? Yes, yes they are. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 02:13 am:

A friend once explained there is being right and there is being "dead right"

His example was the light turns green and you have the right of way at the
crosswalk. A car does not yield to your right of way. You have a choice ...
you can back off, even though you are in the right to step off the curb, or you
can STEP off the curb and be DEAD RIGHT.

I look at music, and jazz in particular this way. Jazz covers a wide spectrum
of sounds and styles, but an underlying characteristic is off-beat timing and
non-conventional construction. But some jazz is taken to far to the extreme,
that while technically off-the-charts difficult and requiring of extreme skill and
talent to play, the music itself sounds like sh!t. Or to put it another way, in
pushing the bar too far, they kill the whole point of music being "pretty".
Of course, this is all coming through my own filter of liking tight, crisp,
emotional melody, harmonies, layering, etc., and is no way "The Rule" by
which all is measured. I just find taking skill and talent to a certain level just
for the challenge does not necessarily good music make.

The guys I posted links to are actually French gypsies, but the sound is
widely played across all of Europe, especially in the east.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 03:07 pm:

Wayne, Yeah, it's too late, I think most of the folks here know I'm not "plumb." At my Father-in-Laws service we had a piper pipe "Amazing Grace" and as we carried the casket out to the graveside he proceeded us with "Going Home." Mind, Linda's Dad was full German, but we thought it would be moving (and it was) to have the pipes played.
Burger, You reminded me of my much younger days, my first semester at College was at an interesting school (no longer around) called, "Immaculate Heart College" run by a cloister of sisters who were "defrocked" for not fitting into the norm. There were some pretty famous Sisters there, at least in the (modern) art world. Anyway, back to the subject; went to a concert put on by the music department, some of my friends there were involved. Afterwards I was told I wasn't "sophisticated enough" to appreciate the discordant stuff I had just sat through. Even then I was smart enough to reject that idea!
BTW. My Brother Steve (Dewey Guitars.com) is into "Gypsy Jazz." It seems to have a strong following in the N. Calif, Southern OR area.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration