Bendix cover

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Bendix cover
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ken bechtel on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 08:12 pm:

Does anyone have an annoying oil leak at the bendix cover gasket? i pulled it off cleaned it ,put sealant on it and it slowed it up but still leaks. i was thinking of making a cork gasket? any suggestions, thanks. Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 08:44 pm:

The gasket surface of my Bendix cover seemed a little uneven, so here is what I did:

I cleaned the gasket surface of the Bendix cover well, then glued the gasket to the cover with plenty of Permatex Ultra Black.

Then, I set the Bendix cover and gasket on a piece of wax paper on my countertop (assumed to be flat), stacked a book on top of the Bendix cover for weight, and let the assembly dry overnight. This ensured that the gasket surface was flat and that any irregularities between the Bendix cover and the gasket were filled.

The next day, I made sure that the mating surface of the Hogshead was scraped clean of all old gasket material, then wiped it well with lacquer thinner.

I than put more Ultra Black on the surface of the gasket and attached the cover to the Hogshead with the four screws.

I let the assembly cure at least overnight before I used the car again - no leaks! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW Troy, Mo. on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 08:49 pm:

Is your bendix cover flat and true? I use permatex to bond the gasket to the bendix cover and apply grease to the side that mates with the hogs head. Don't have a problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ken bechtel on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 08:55 pm:

Thanks Mark for your very good idea on making a flat mating surface . i'll be doing that tomorrow. Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 09:02 pm:

The can could also be cracked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ken bechtel on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 09:02 pm:

Harry, thanks for your suggestion . i tried to get it flat but i guess i missed it a little. thanks Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ken bechtel on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 09:07 pm:

Ted, very good thought i sure don't want to make a cracked can flat for mounting . Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 10:14 pm:

Another point to ponder - there is/was an issue with the reproduction Bendix spring retaining bolts having too tall of a head which could/would interfere with the starter drive can - check the inside for any "tattle-tail" sign of hitting !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale McMurry on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 11:56 pm:

Make sure the low speed pedal is not hitting on the cover when you push down real hard on the pedal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 10:53 am:

Try a cork type gasket. The one you are using may be too thin or hard to seal.

(Message edited by redmodelt on October 25, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 11:03 am:

I use Harry's grease suggestion on the transmission inspection cover and the screen too. It keeps the oil in (mostly :-)), and I don't have to keep replacing gaskets. The RTV and gaskets are applied to both sides of the screen, and the grease to the hogshead and the cover.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 11:08 am:

Mine leaked until I got rid of the modern screws with the small heads and found a set of original screws, then the leak magically stopped :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration