Troop 183 Update, 24 October 17

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Troop 183 Update, 24 October 17
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Rakestraw on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 10:26 pm:

Howdy again from Kansas!

The guys had a "shakedown" camp out in the neighborhood and we were able to devote a couple of hours to the T and made good progress. We cracked-open the rear differential, cleaned rust off the frame and scraped crud off the engine.

A few posts ago I mentioned the end-to-end play in the rear axles. Well, after rotating the rear end around a few times, trying to remove the case bolts, a big glob of black goo dropped out of the drive shaft bearing flange hole. It looked nasty and was extremely sticky and then I noticed some familiar shapes. Our thrust bearing had broken, at some point, and was floating around in the case. We haven't opened the case and taken everything out, but I hope that's all that's broken.

Still a ways from bolting her back together, but we made good headway.

Be well and drive safely,

Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 07:40 am:

I sure hope they all get some merit badges out of this lesson like, auto mechanics, painting merit badge, and a few others I can't think of right now that deal with budgeting and finances.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 08:09 am:

I enjoy your update posts, thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 01:11 pm:

Mark - Just a safety warning here,....I see in one of the photos, four (4) cinder blocks, or concrete blocks or whatever you want to call them, neatly stored under a bench. I would strongly suggest that those be taken out of your shop and disposed of in some permanent manner so that none of the boys could EVER be tempted to use them as jack stands. This is commonly done as they appear to be handy for such. THIS IS ALWAYS A HUGE MISTAKE!!! Altho' they are heavy and might appear to some to be strong, THEY ARE NOT STRONG !!! They have been known to crumble instantly without warning! I had a friend that was crushed to death because of using cinder block for jack stands. Sorry for the "rant" but trust me here Mark,...you certainly would not want a student injured or,....perish the thought,....crushed to death because of using these cinder blocks for jack stands,....for what it's worth,.......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 01:59 pm:

That thrust washer looks better than some I've found. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration