Straighten a wire rim for a 1927 model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Straighten a wire rim for a 1927 model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glenn Conlon on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 11:00 pm:

Is there any literature or advice on how to straighten a wire rim for a 1927 model T.? I have been told you can bend the spokes in order to make the rim run true.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 02:41 am:

i personally think that bending the spokes will cause uneven tension. Shrinking them would work better. i don't have any good books on this though..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 03:21 am:

Glen, the repair depends on the bend. A bent/dented rim will require heat and judicious beating. If the wheel is buckled, the truing is easier, but requires a jig of sorts. What have you?

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 03:21 am:

In the day some shops had a hydraulic press that held the hub and the press could be used to push the rim into proper position.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 11:44 pm:

What is the runout? Could be just straightening all the spokes might fix it. If it's no more than a quarter inch or so I wouldn't worry about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 11:20 am:

Maybe you can find a place near you like this one: "http://www.winnipegwheelworks.com"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 12:31 pm:

Glenn,

Allan's question needs to answered before any straightening can be done. That question was, "...the repair depends on the bend.... what have you?"

In other words, is the wheel center, (hub), bent at the flange? Are the spokes bent? Is the outer rim bent? Each kind of bend needs a specific kind of fix.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 02:02 pm:

Don't bend your spokes, you'll end up with nothing. The way to do it - and forgive me I don't have what I need to demonstrate right now - is this:

1. Jack up car.
2. Anchor a stick or something so that it touches the rim and you can turn the wheel to see the run out.
3. Find the spoke closest to the widest gap.
4. Take your torch and turn about 1" of that spoke red.
5. Air cool.

You can watch the rim move as the metal cools and shrinks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Gillette on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 03:16 pm:

Copy this link to your browser. Good report by Dave Gerold on Model A wheels.

http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/aktion/Attachment.html?attachmentId=721201

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 02:06 am:

I had a guy in Chatsworth CA do my wheels. Came out fantastic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glenn Conlon on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 10:06 am:

I appreciate the advice in regards to straightening the rims on my Model T. I used a hydraulic press to straighten the rims, it works remarkably well. Too answer some of the questions asked. The spokes were not broken, the issue was runout. Thanks for the info..

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration