OT - Identification of High Compression Model A Head

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - Identification of High Compression Model A Head
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Gresh on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 03:28 pm:

Does anyone know anything about this high compression Model A head? I was told it is a police head but the police heads I've seen have a relief for the piston, this one does not.
Thank you,
Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 04:49 pm:

A factory high compression A has a letter B stamped or cast in it near the distributor hole. The ones I have had were as you say, like a regular A head, just a shallower chamber.
It would be interesting to know if that has the other earmarks of a factory head.
I got to know fairly well more than one dealer's son from the time of the A's introduction. As the story goes, some of the first A's that were for display at the dealers were ringers, and would go like hell.
They didn't like pump gas, they said. You had to be sure to run 'Ethyl'which was just coming into wide usage. It would be interesting if that was an early experimental head.
I know where there is an AA with a four digit s/n engine in it. I always have been curious what that has inside it. It runs real strong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Husa on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 05:44 pm:

C heads require a special front water pump.
The B head is different type of head also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 05:56 pm:

32/33 four cylinder B or C engine had 3 bolt water pumps with the 33 being shorter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 06:02 pm:

Larry : i just sold a high comp. head like that on Ebay EXCEPT that it did have the clearance above the pistons ... i think that head was milled a BUNCH and that chamber was removed ...the chamber area from the valves was identical ...only marking on that head was "Made in USA"...the bolt standoff measures 2.230" and 2.235" on 2 heads i just measured ( probably 2.250" origional ) ...1 is a standard model A and the other a Model B head ( marked "C" ) ...hope this helps ...always an optimist...gene french

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 06:13 pm:

As Gene points out, Model B & C heads were stamped 'C'.Used a 3 bolt water pump, a scarce animal.This was because 'B'was already used. The A high compression head used a four bolt water pump. If anybody really cares, my former Model 'C'Engines are in a friends A& B be Ford Engine 'Department'and I could get him to send pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 10:34 pm:

As I remember the police head; I'm sure it had a raised letter on the top of the head (A or B not sure), but also a raised boss with a serial number right on top. Typical A water pump (4 bolt with top water outlet). All the police heads I've seen were on running motors, so I'm not sure about the piston relief or combustion chamber design.

Are you sure about the age of the head?? It looks more like one of the Brumfield heads from the 90's. Is there any heavy rust in the water jackets or wear on the head bolt bosses to suggest that it's not relatively new?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By wayne tomlins on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 03:16 am:

This looks to be a modern era high comp. head as Kevin suggests. An era head would have a B [ 'Police head'] or a C with 3 point water pump [ Model B 1932-'34] or marked with an era brand if made high comp. for a Model A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 11:37 am:

Larry:
the cyl. head i mentioned as selling recently was Ebay # 222266773914 ...you can see the chamber design is similar to the model C head except that the valve area is shallow , making this a higher compression head than the 1932 "C" head ...it also has the 4 bolt model A waterpump ...this is an old head that was removed from a combine engine that was purchased from a regional farm sale approx. 25 yrs. ago ...the Denver head ( police) and many other high compression heads were used in this region to bring an engine up to its normal rated horsepower ...probably brought a model A back up to 40 hp in the higher elevations ...always an optimist...gene french

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 07:30 pm:

also if anyone is interested in a model B cyl. head ( marked "C" ) i currently have 1 listed on Ebay ...item # 222293450578 ...the photos show the similarity of the chamber design and also show the "C" marking and 3 bolt waterpump mounting flange ...these will give a boost in compression on the model A engine BUT requires the use of a "B" waterpump ...always an optimist...gene french

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration