Apology Post Card

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Apology Post Card
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Johnson on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 04:08 pm:

I received an apology post card today that I felt was not needed. The club needs all politicians to not be against our hobby. I may not favor that politician but I think any positive recognition is wonderful. It's much better than the government declaring our 'Ts' as destroying the environment which could happen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bills Auto Works on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 04:21 pm:

That post card is exactly the kind of thing that is wrong with society these days. We need people like the future Vice President of the United States on the side of the car collecting hobby, not apologizing for having him in the magazine!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 04:36 pm:

I can't stand Pence or his boss but I don't see why a postcard apology was necessary. It was relevant to the hobby and was ostensibly news that club members might wish to hear. It wasn't a campaign ad or anything like it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 04:37 pm:

Well, I reckon they pulled the other thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 04:49 pm:

Was the card needed? Probably not. Was it appropriate? I think so. The MTFCA board wanted to make it clear to its members that the club does not endorse any candidate for public office. The story published may give some members the impression that the Mike Pence had been endorsed by the club, which was not the case. In reading it, it seemed to me the card's primary purpose was to clarify the club's policy, although a short note in the next issue would have served the same purpose. Just my opinion, of course.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Banks on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 05:10 pm:

Your spot on Bills. Were people outraged enough that they felt the need to apologize? If so tell them to go pound salt. The fact of the matter is we have an American, I will say it again...an American (not the enemy) who is running for office endorsing the model T. (Not their party) What in the world is there to apologize about? Those who complain need to go to there safe zone for a while.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 05:28 pm:

I sure hope the club did not waste their money and time on something like that. Wow, talk about no return for your dues. If there was something in the magazine to apologize for - and I did not see anything to apologize for - they should have placed their apology in the publication.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 05:40 pm:

All Americans need to see a few intense hours of combat to wrap
their head around what is and IS NOT a problem. It is a shame that
our collective life focus is now on "feelings".

How do the LBGT Syrian refugees feel about Model T's ???

Can anyone tell me where my Grandparents' America went ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 05:54 pm:

Your witnessing politically correct liberal whiners doing what they do to get their way. I can truly envision Saul Alinsky doing a happy dance in his grave over this matter!!!!!
Can you say Spineless........sure you can.

BTW: I am glad I am not Opinionated! :-):-):-):-):-)

Burger: You my friend are SOOOOO right!!

And so another thread hits the politically incorrect bit bucket........:-( R.I.P.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 05:57 pm:

I don't think an apology was needed. That article about Pence was good and didn't push him for vice president. The only thing suspicious to me is that he visited in 2008 and it appeared now in 2016 just before the election. It would have been better to print it before he was selected for VP or after the election.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 06:03 pm:

Well, I finally found my mag and read the article. The only thing I think could have been done differently would be to eliminate the last paragraph and the photograph--or maybe use a smaller photo and include photos of the other significant people mentioned in the article.
I imagine the postcard was sent to smooth some ruffled feathers. As Burger noted, folks seem to get their britches in knots over the most insignificant things nowadays.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 06:06 pm:

The MTFCA made it political by sending a card. I would rather they taped the amount of postage onto the inside cover of my next magazine instead of capitulating to a minority of fragile folks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 06:30 pm:

What needs to happen is those that were offended contact the club and pay for the extra cost of the postage and card.
I received the card today and couldn't believe it.
The very least the 'offended ' could do is to pay for the postage and send them a note of apology.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 06:45 pm:

A apology post card from the MTFCA for the latest Vintage Ford story about Mike Pence at MTFCA convention several years ago, OMG, what a waste of club money. Next we will be getting apology cards about the original 1972 Vintage Ford story on the Chevrolets' of the Late Teens and 1920's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 07:02 pm:

The apology card is what politicized this issue, not the news article. It was a total waste of funds. The officers and board are charged with fiscal responsibility, spending available funds in the best interest of the club, not responding to some whiners. As a 501C3 organization, the club is prohibited by law from expressing political views or opinions, and up to this point have done a good job. They really dropped the ball this time with a knee-jerk reaction to a non-issue.

If this is how they choose to waste our money, I, for one, will be satisfied with a membership at MTFCI. MTFCA will not be getting any more of my money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 07:11 pm:

I have not received my card yet!!! But I am interested, after all the preceding posts, is who was "outraged" and who complained, and who authorized the mailing of the "apology" card that I have not received. Maybe it will come in tomorrows post and I can fully understand the "problem". Does anybody have extra room in their "safe place" that I can visit till then?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 07:31 pm:

Post card from the MTFCA in my mailbox today. I feel sorry for us all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bills Auto Works on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 07:44 pm:

This post has entirely too much common sense & a complete lack of political correctness....I am surprised it has not been deleted!
Bill Squires(owner)
Bill's Auto Works
Wakeman, Ohio

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn - Lincoln, NE on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 08:02 pm:

I would like to take a a moment to try and make clear why the MTFCA Board made the decision to send the apology postcard. The MTFCA was faced with a possible legal challenge because of our 501(c)3 status. The decision to send the postcard was not a knee jerk reaction. The decision was made after seeking the advise of our clubs attorney. The cost of the postcard was determined to be the least expensive route we could take to resolve this issue. To resolve the issue the postcard needed to be received by our membership before the November election. Putting a statement in the next issue would have been too late. There is already a statement in the Vintage Ford that says the views of the authors of the articles are not necessarily the view of the MTFCA. The timely apology resolves the challenges that we were facing through the least expensive means. Initially most directors were against sending the postcard but after much deliberation decided that it would be in the best interest of the club.

Very Respectfully,
Mike Vaughn
Vice President, MTFCA BoD

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 08:20 pm:

Thank you for a most reasonable explanation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 08:23 pm:

Sounds like somebody may have actually threatened the board. If that is true, it's really sad. Things like this will lead to the end of the organization as we know it.

Who would care to guess what this cost? Attorney fees, printing cost, postage?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 08:29 pm:

Thanks for the explanation, Mike. It just serves to illustrate how absolutely silly our lawsuit happy society has become. We have now become servants to our own legal system rather than having it serve us. Sad. I once had a boss who told me "If you haven't pissed off a few people in the course of your employment, you probably haven't done your job". It seems protecting everyone's thin skin has been more important that the free discourse of ideas and opinions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 09:33 pm:

You guys sure do seem easily offended by the thought that someone out there might be easily offended.

Just my casual observation of the day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 09:57 pm:

Bloviate all you want about how nothing was wrong concerning running an 8 year old article involving Mr. Pence shortly before an election he's involved in. It was wrong and the club was advised to "rectify the situation". The article only got into the mag because of the authors former position and I'm still having a hard time understanding why it was allowed. In fact I cannot comprehend how they didn't think there'd be any backlash.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Banks on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 10:12 pm:

^ I'm just curious what the backlash would be, did a bunch of people cry foul because it may sway voters? Really?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 10:34 pm:

There must have been something going on that prompted the mailing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 11:06 pm:

I think the club should distro copies of the Hurt Feelings Report to all whiners in the membership.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 12:37 am:

So, why has our board not offered the real reasons. I have seen two half hearted smoke screens.If they were contacted by someone threatening to sue or to challenge our position, let the membership know who what or why?

So far we have only been told the "politically correct" obscure white washed reasons. If the board which we dutifully elected can't be honest and tell us the complete story, I suggest we answer with the next election "vote em out"

I'm guessing we will have to make sure no one running for office or that may intend to run for office, attends our tours or meetings in the future, just incase some one with a different political view challenges our standing with some governmental agency. So our board should redo our applications and specifically exclude anyone with political intentions or connections, past, present or future.

We should do a background check on all future members and anyone attending MTFCA events then have a Sargent At Arms to keep anyone with political intentions out. While the board is at it they need to hire a censor to double check what the editor is printing in the Vintage Ford. While they are at it hire a Forum censor to edit all postings. Better yet just do away with the Vintage Ford and the forum so we don't offend anyone.

The board needs to understand its not all cocktail parties,back slapping,and photo ops. Its a real job and they should be held to their responsibilities. I know of what I speak having served on the Horseless Carriage Club board and served all chairs including National President.

So to our board of directors, put your big boy panties on and show some backbone. There will always be someone to challenge your position in life because of what you do, what you say or the way you part your hair. They call these challengers BULLIES!!! At some point you just have to draw a line in the sand and stop being pushed around.

I suspect the forum Nazi's will delete my posting but for those if you that get to read it before censorship, its my opinion and according to our countries forefathers I'm entitled to express my views.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 01:27 am:

Sadly, this IS the world we now live in.
I hesitate to post on this thread at all, for many reasons. But, like BCG, feel I must say something.

First. Thank you Mike Vaugnh for an explanation. Short that it may be.

Second, to everyone else here. Please. DO NOT take offense from anyone, on any side of this. Part of the problem is that someone took offense where they should not have. Someone turned a minor poor judgement into a way-out-of-proportion issue. Yes, I think this could have, and perhaps should have, been avoided in the first place. But whether or not it should have been is beyond reach. The apology card was probably a necessary move, regardless of all the whos, hows, or whys. Time was an immediate concern, I am sure for legal reasons.
Allow others their mistakes, and the consideration to correct them. Give them that time. Damage needs to be assessed. Explanations can come a bit later.

Just to be crystal clear. I, currently, am NOT a member of the MTFCA. This is NOT something I am happy about. On again, and off again, I have been a member since about 1970. For financial reasons ONLY, I have had to allow most of my club memberships to drop. Unfortunately the MTFCA has been one of those clubs.

Drive carefully, and please, do enjoy! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 01:54 am:

The laws that grant 501c status are actually meant protect the taxpayer and its in the best interest of the club that they continue to meet those obligations to maintain that status.

Any fair minded individual who read the article knows that it went from being a purely historical context relating to current events to something personal when the author vouched for the character of the individual featured in the article.

I understand the emotional arguments of wanting to blame it on someone who complained because they had hurt feelings. But the reality is that the complaint does not necessarily need to originate from someone inside the club to be legitimate in the court of law.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 02:19 am:

Unless one is the owner of this website one is not free to express their views in any manner they wish.
I've seen only one forum that had no rules and it no longer exists.
Guess why?

just sayin'

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 05:00 am:

And from now on, the content of the magazine will be reviewed and approved by two or more directors and/or officers of the club prior to publication.

So who needs an editor?

That's who should be offended.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 06:05 am:

The penny has dropped for me. I saw lots of those Trump/Pence posters at rallies and thought they must have referred to some new currency like Bitcoins or something!

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 06:48 am:

Got my postcard last night.

Read it and threw it in my blue bin that gets dumped in the big Abitibi paper recycling bin at my church. I didn't even bother mentioning it to my wife. A waste in my opinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 01:03 pm:

I didn't read the article in the VF since I usually don't read much of it anyway. All the angles and criticisms and accolades have been covered so I won't bother anybody with what I think except this: I wish we still had that old U S Mail system from the days of Model T delivery cars, steam powered trains, Rural post offices and mail carriers that could get a penny postcard anywhere in the country in two or three days. This was dated the 14th, probably mailed not more than a day or two later - 1st class mail - and I got mine today, 12 days down the road from when it was dated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 01:13 pm:

That's because the Postal Service has "modernized" to give you better service! :-)

(Better service ??? :-( )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 03:10 pm:

The BOD acted to protect the club when a somewhat questionable article was published in the Club's magazine. Not only did they take action to notify the membership that a mistake had been made, they created a policy whereby such a mistake is unlikely to be repeated. Like it or not (I don't)that is what has to be done in today's world to keep the club from having a challenge to their non-profit status.
Yes, it was a small slip, but a small slip is all it takes to fall into a deep hole (especially one that might have sharks in it (any attorney that thinks I just called him/her a shark must have a guilty conscious!)).
So, now we move on, this is just a blip in our lives now. Back to vanquishing all those Babbitt thrust washers out there!!!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 03:27 pm:

Would there have been the same uproar if the article had been about Tim Kaine? Don't answer that here. Just ponder it to yourself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 04:34 pm:

Yes. Any objective person can see that political affiliation really has nothing to do with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Banks on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 05:41 pm:

^ And objective person wouldn't Give two hoots who was in the article in the first place thus avoiding all of this nonsense.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 07:18 pm:

I read the article and did not even relate to Mike being the same person running for vice president, so no harm was done.

Mike was not well known at that time, but he sure is now.

That was also an intended point not clear in the article.

There was no intent mentioned or shown to channel your vote.

Evidently this has evolved to a case of, "don't confuse me with facts, my mind is made up!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Walker on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 08:56 pm:

In the 90s there was a government movement to get people out of their cars and into mass transit; a bipartisan and multi-faceted scheme with no consideration for liberty, property, or facts. Emissions testing, reformulated gasoline, remote sensing, all sorts of dogma that would do little to clean up cars, but plenty to sideline the hobbyist and the poor.

There were even car magazines proselytizing hobbyists with SEMA-written "restofication" articles; pushing retrofit-for-credit laws that would force you to put fuel injection, catalytic converters, O2 sensors, all sorts of crap on your antique car, otherwise forcing you to park your old car if it wasn't in compliance.

Thankfully enough of us hobbyists stood up, exposed and "crushed" that misanthropic movement and alienated some of its pushers despite the pushback we got from car clubs and associations. You're welcome.

Be ready, because it'll probably get some new life soon. There's nothing wrong with protecting your property, your way of life, your hobbies, no matter how much others wail against you. You're right, they're wrong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George N. Lemperes on Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 12:52 pm:

Whether or not the Club should apologize, and at what cost, is more likely a result of the need for "political correctness." Maybe we should thank the "Politically Correct Police" for the Club having to bear the expense of the CYA apology. Their concerns about who might be offended, or whose vote might be swayed is, in my opinion, ridiculous. A much larger issue is at work here. Our most fundamental freedoms are being stolen from us right before our eyes.
It's time to get real here. If Mike Pence endorses our hobby, we should welcome him to our world with a firm handshake and maybe even a pat on the back. It shouldn't matter what political party he belongs to. It shouldn't effect who we vote for. If Jay Leno should run for office someday, are we going to have to retract or apologize for everything we have ever said about him? Whether or not you are offended is more than likely due to your political affiliation.
Come on folks, this is not important when compared to the major issues that face this Country today. Don't let this kind of thing distract you from what is really important. If you like the direction our Country is heading, vote for Hillary. If you think Mr. Trump will get us on the right track, vote for him. This election will decide the makeup of the Supreme Court for decades to come, (Liberal or Conservative). This is, again in my opinion, probably the most important issue facing us in this election. So don't be distracted by things that don't matter. Thank you for letting me vent.

Disclaimer: This post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Club and are not intended to influence, either implied or expressed, the outcome of the Presidential Election.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 01:05 pm:

"Whether or not the Club should apologize, and at what cost, is more likely a result of the need for "political correctness." "

NO! Read the posts, it's to pacify the IRS.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Archer Hayward, CA. on Friday, October 28, 2016 - 06:48 pm:

Thank you Bill Johnson for starting this. When I read the card I wanted to write something like that but I know that I would have never taken the time to do it. Thanks to all for your great heartfelt comments.
Ed aka #4

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration