For you accessories aficionados, I could use some help....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: For you accessories aficionados, I could use some help....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / St. Croix Valley Mn on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 07:44 pm:

I recently purchased this 1924 Touring from its longtime owner. John bought this car in 1965 when he was 17 yrs old and all the accessories present on the car today were on it back in 1965. It has been fun to research and study these accessories, some of which I have never seen. Perhaps some of our forum experts on accessories can help identify some of these, maybe even by brand name. I have identified about two dozen accessories, including some stock Model T items added to this car that were not present when new. I have not included pics of under the hood but can state the car does have a Stromberg OF carb, a water pump (ugh!) and a "bull" horn. Have fun with this as I have limited information about these accessories and hope to learn more. Thank You!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / St. Croix Valley Mn on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 07:53 pm:

Here are two more pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 08:04 pm:

Wish I could help but really like steering wheel with clock and the windscreen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 08:35 pm:

Great accessories. The car is really cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 12:35 am:

In over 35 years of looking at T's, yours has the best quality aftermarket jtems in it I have ever seen. One of the old-timers I knew talked about a car that was owned by a parts store it, too had one of about everything. I wonder if that is what this car was.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 01:28 am:

The most obvious accessories are the bumpers. You could spot those from a block away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 01:38 am:

Nice! One of the side-interests of model T Fords is all the accessories that were available for them. I often refer to my '24 as a "well accessorized" coupe. And I don't think it comes close to your touring.
One can go over-board on this, but I do not think your car has. I especially like the rear windscreen. I know the wheels are being discussed on another thread. I don't see any other things I can specifically offer much help with.
Congratulations!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 01:59 am:

Larger pictures would help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / St. Croix Valley Mn on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 08:39 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / St. Croix Valley Mn on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 08:45 am:

Can't seem to make the pictures larger without exceeding the limit. Sorry. Here is a list of what I found on the car.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 08:49 am:

Trying to enlarge the list..

kkkk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 01:54 pm:

That is Seekon's Model T. I remember it well. Once meet judges told it that they would not judge the car because it had too many accessories, so he left the meet and went home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 02:13 pm:

Louis Seekon was a vintage auto collector. He lived in NE Minneapolis and was excellent mechanic. His occupation was repairing medical equipment. His store/office was on south 6th St near the Minneapolis City hall. He liked Packards of the 20's and early 30's. His friend was Bill Lund of Lund Press who owned a fine 1948 Tucker. They shared a small building on south 3rd St near the rail road crossing where they stored and worked on autos. Louis 1929 Cadillac was restored there. Louie was a big guy, about 6'' 3" and 325 lbs. On tours he would order three breakfasts at once.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 06:06 pm:

Darel, do you know if Mr Seekon found it with most of the accessories already on, or if he collected them and added piece by piece?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / St. Croix Valley Mn on Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 06:11 pm:

Thanks Darel! I have also talked with Erik and Bob Johnson about the car. Erik gave me all the info he had and suggested that I also talk with you. They remember the car well. Hope to see you at Cameron's swap!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 08:05 pm:

Louie collected the accessions and retired the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 08:28 pm:

corrections:
Louie collected the accessories and restored the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 08:31 pm:

I like the top.... is it canvas' or leatherette, etc??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 09:28 pm:

Roger:

I asked my dad the same question.

He said the same thing as Darel; Louie collected the accessories and put them on the car.

Louis Seekon was born in 1911 and died in 1982 and was involved in the Minnesota Region AACA from its earliest days. The Minnesota Region AACA overall restoration trophy is named after him. It is awarded annually to the best restored car in the club.

Louie was a talented guy. He repaired medical equipment and owned a company called "Twin Cities Hospital and Physician's Repair" in downtown Minneapolis which advertised 24 hour service. My dad said he was very good at seeking out antique cars and parts in and around the Twin Cities. My dad thinks Louie may have fabricated the rear wind-screen himself. He may have also fabricated the aluminum door trim and instrument panel trim. He also thinks the watch/clock on the steering wheel is not an aftermarket item but something Louie simply attached to the wheel. It's possible that he fabricated the radiator stone guard. It's been over fifty years since my dad last saw the car so he would have to look at it again to refresh his memory.

My dad has some of Louie's old paper Minnesota chauffeur's licenses. According to them, he was 6' 2" and weighed over 300 lbs. My dad said that when Louie drove his Model T, he would put a towel on his stomach so the steering wheel wouldn't rub on his shirt.

As Darel said above, he had more substantial cars that were more appropriate for a man his size including Packards, a Cadillac and a Hupmobile.

Below is a photo of Louie standing next to the car taken in Minneapolis in July 1959 during a three day Minnesota Region AACA meet the 50th anniversary of the 1909 Glidden Tour. Note the framed ribbons on resting on the cowl

This is from a large, panoramic photo of all the cars in attendance which is difficult for me to scan. My father was also in attendance with his '17 Ford touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / St. Croix Valley Mn on Friday, October 28, 2016 - 09:46 am:

Dennis, the top is a very high grade canvas, tan kind of like the sport touring top on the '26-7 open cars. It is showing its age. I also have the top boot and spare tire cover to match. The rear of the top is held to the car with Murphy fasteners allowing one to easily remove the top assembly for touring. I will do that for parades.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration