Hogsheads chase question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Hogsheads chase question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By richard lee on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 08:45 pm:

Was kinda thinking about putting a starter on my 1916 Touring. My power unit has a 13Million serial number meaning a 1926 year of manufacture and of course has the hole for the starter.

Will the hogs heads exchange 1916 to 1926 and back?

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 08:59 pm:

That depends on your crankcase and transmission. The 1926 has a wider brake band and if so, the hogs heads are not interchangeable.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 09:22 pm:

Are you asking if the '26 hogshead will fit your '16,no.But a'19 to '25 will. You have to switch to a ring gear type flywheel or complete transmission. You 16 more than likely has three quarter inch magnets, so you are OK there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 09:29 pm:

It will work fine if you also use a 26 - 27 brake drum and brake band.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 09:35 pm:

I left that a bit unclear. Where I was headed with that, if you bought an off the shelf transmission for your '16,you could buy one with recharged 3/4" magnets that fits up to '25,inclusive.I am making the assumption you '16 has a needle nose pan, which will not accommodate, as Norm says, a'26 type transmission.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 11:22 pm:

If you have a hole for the starter look in it and see if you have a ring gear on the flywheel. If so you are good to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 11:50 pm:

Richard, when you get a chance, clear this up for us. I am assuming you have a 1916 T with an original engine. I further am assuming you have a spare engine on a power unit that is a '26.And you are wondering if the hogshead will Bolt onto your '16 engine. The practical answer is no. Even the pedal spacing on the floor boards would be different.Am I correct in my assumption or am I daft? My phone may be kicking the bucket, dammit. I may be unavailable for a couple days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 04:59 am:

You'll already have to pull the engine to install a starter style flywheel. If you find a starter flywheel with a good transmission on, it's all much easier, but you may still want to take it apart to check the drums for cracks etc..
A 1919-25 transmission and hogshead will be easier to fit since you don't need to swap the 1916 three dip pan. If you use the transmission and hogshead from your '26 engine, you'll have to swap the pan to the four dip style to get room for the wider brake band. Another problem with this is the pedal spacing - you must alter the floorboards with a '26/'27 hogshead.

A third way to go is if you find a '19-'25 hogshead and if your '26 transmission with flywheel is good, then you can mix them - the '26/'27 wide brake drum will fit in your old three dip pan if you have a '19-'25 hogshead on with a narrow brake band. Remember to check the runout of the transmission when mounted on a new engine - see Mike Bender's videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD3p4fZzR2Y&index=24&list=PLYG_lIhIwKyLG8WQm4tGm KK1nA0Yctp6G

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By richard lee on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 07:56 am:

Jim Eviston and everyone else... yes the 16 T has the original engine and tranny and if I am understanding what I am reading the earlier 19 to 15 hogsheads will work much better and simpler. This is what I will look for if I get serious.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 11:32 am:

That should be 19-25 hogs head.
It should be easy to find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 12:11 pm:

I was thinking that too Ted. Of course you don't know what was done over the years but there's a chance that the ring gear flywheel is there if the hole is. Sure would be a nice surprise though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 01:21 pm:

The 19-25 transmission covers are the most common.
You should be able to find one pretty easy and reasonable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By richard lee on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 06:51 pm:

A big thanks to everyone who has commented.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration