ECCT

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: ECCT
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Arnold on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 10:17 pm:

Just adjusted my coils with my new ECCT. My 14 never ran better. I was amazed with how much more power I have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 11:31 pm:

The proof is in the pudding. Glad to hear your car is running so well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 03:11 am:

Yes, it's a great little instrument, and makes coil adjustment so easy and convenient. The resulting smoothness and power just make the car enjoyable to drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Hoogendoorn on Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 03:37 am:

Absolutely! My 22 Runabout ran okay on battery but very bad on mag with lots of backfiring. My good friend Justin Elliott put my coils through his ECCT and I couldn't believe the results.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Adkisson on Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 09:28 am:

WINK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Sutton on Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 11:04 am:

This is the first I've heard of this product. Who developed this unit and how does it compare to the Strobo-spark?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 11:23 am:

Craig, you're kidding, right?

Are you snowed in there already?

Cabin fever already in Pittsburg??

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 11:44 am:

He's stirring the pot

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 12:02 pm:

And it will soon be boiling! :-) Arnold do you have all the optional software with it or just the basic unit? Curious.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 12:22 pm:

Craig,

I've HEARD that it is head and shoulders above ANYTHING else on the market, currently or previously. Don't believe me? Just ask...Oh nevermind.

I am curious what method Arnold used before. Is this amazing amount of power based on a comparison of 90 year old original coils that have never had anything done to them, or is it based on a comparison of coils properly set up on a Strobospark or HCCT?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 12:49 pm:

Arnold is pleased with the way his car is now running. Why can't we be happy for him?

What do we care if he used X, Y, or Z to adjust his coils? I don't and I think others should not care either.

I, and I am sure that two or three others, are SICK AND TIRED of this pot stirring, baiting, denigrating, Trollish behavior. Some of the grown men here act like little boys at the school yard during recess. STOP IT. JUST STOP IT. What is wrong you with you people? Step away from the keyboard and go work on or drive your Model T!

Postings are supposed to be for The Good of The Hobby. Do you ask yourself how your post can offer any benefit? Is it a help to someone with a problem and question, or does it benefit your ego?

I gotta get back to work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 12:54 pm:

"What do we care if he used X, Y, or Z to adjust his coils? I don't and I think others should not care either."

So Bill, are you saying Arnold should not have mentioned what brand coil tester he used to adjust his coils?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 12:55 pm:

You guys better stop before someone gets their panties in a bunch and the board has to send out apology cards AGAIN! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 01:10 pm:

Hi Hal,

No, I am not saying that. He has every right to share what he used and that it worked well for him.

And we should be happy for him.

I don't care what he used. OTHERS SHOULD NOT CARE EITHER.

Why is it so hard for some folks to refrain from making snarky comments?

His car is running well. He is happy. He chose to share his good news. He mentioned what equipment was used.

And the little boys began pi$$ing.

And the Forum begins to take on the aroma of the Men's Lavatory. Some must be So Proud.

And This is what discourages posting by people who don't like This behavior.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Sutton on Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 01:18 pm:

Dave/Steve/others:

I've never adjusted coils or had any type of tester. I had Ron rebuild 5 coils for me a couple years ago and they are great, but while this stuff is out there I want to get something so if I do have to make any adjustments I'll be able to. I'd rather have a HCCT but they are hard to find and expensive.

I have way too many hobbies, a job almost 2 hours from home, and a business of my own on the side. I usually do the Model T thing from the fall to the spring and then get gung ho about drag racing and shooting. During about half of the year I rarely get on the forum, and sometimes I'll skip most of a winter too depending on how busy I am building rifles. This is the first time I've heard about this product.

So honestly, this is new to me and it's a legit question.

Craig

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 02:25 pm:

Well, with that explanation, I owe you a Forum apology, as .50 cents each per postcard to all the members will exhaust my Model T budget for years to come.

"My apology is hereby extended to you".

To learn more about the ECCT, put

ECCT MTFCA in your Google search window, and you will be able to read the pros and cons.

Hope that the posts do not occupy ALL your Model T time 'till spring.

Cheers,

PS.
Bill, I'll go back to work now...snow is coming!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 03:18 pm:

And all I wanna know from Arnold is whether or not he also used the "extras" you can buy with this machine, or just the ECCT itself. See, I do have a bit of Steve Jelf in me, in that I don't wanna spend any more than I have to. But I'd like to consider either the ECCT or the Strobo-Spark or whatever it's called. I am one third owner of an HCCT atm, but always open to "new technology for the greater good". How's that for a mouthful? Ha ha. So I hope we haven't scared him off to post a reply and he's just busy. Guess I'll just drop him a PM. Hmmm...why didn't I think of that earlier?? Duuhhh. :-) Keep calm and carry on! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Arnold on Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 04:40 pm:

Sorry I didn't get back sooner but we're taking care of our granddaughter as she is sick and couldn't go to school. I don't have time to read the whole thread but it looks like I started a conversation.
Tim I did receive your PM and I will answer it here. The coils were adjusted using the complete package, the coil testing box and the computer as shown at Hershey by Mike Kossor.
I might add a little incident that happened. I got a free start for the first time since I owned the car. I was in front of the car and cranked it twice with the choke on, went around to the driver's side as I usually do, set the spark and advance and then reached over and turned it on battery. The car started and I was surprised and was really lucky that I had the brake on. I will be more careful in the future.
Good luck guys. Have to take care of my granddaughter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 07:09 pm:

Thanks Arnold! Appreciate the info. I'll talk to Mike in the near future. Nice to hear how you're taking care of the granddaughter. Hope she feels better soon and it's nothing serious. Another thing, Arnold..even though you set the brake, as do I, just for extra protection, I chock one of the front wheels too. Can't be too cautious in my book!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Sutton on Friday, October 28, 2016 - 09:24 am:

Dave,

I'll forgive you if you put an H on the end of Pittsburgh from now on!

I read up on the ECCT and unfortunately electricity is one of the things that goes completely over my head because it doesn't interest me. People could explain how coils and testers work until they are blue in the face but I will never understand. So far I can't figure out if one is better than the other or if they're pretty much the same.

I'm more inclined to support the supplier that's been with us longer, but that's all I'll say about that. Maybe more research on my part would help but probably not haha.

Craig

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Friday, October 28, 2016 - 09:39 am:

Craig,

Thanks.

Whoops...

Consider it done. Too much reliance on that thing called "spell check". :-)

Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Arnold on Friday, October 28, 2016 - 10:08 pm:

I had another free start today, I know this is not an unusual thing, but for an old guy with a non-starter car it is greatly appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Franko on Friday, October 28, 2016 - 11:57 pm:

Glad to here the 14 is running good ! I've been wanting to call but I've been out of town. I'll call when I return.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Arnold on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 08:56 pm:

Just an update, I had another unexpected free start today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 09:06 pm:

An old one but a good one. Do not know who post it, but I like it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 03:50 am:

How can you get a free start on magneto? Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 07:59 am:

Dave:

Guess not too many more caught that one.....

Bob J.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 09:00 am:

Ordered my ECCT yesterday. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 10:07 am:

It is well know that the Model T is a time machine. The free starts on a magneto are a result of energy stored in the flux capacitor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 11:57 am:

David,

When you're the most interesting man in the world, you get free starts on magneto!

Stay thirsty my friends.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 12:12 pm:

Dos Equis needs to quit with the Most Interesting Man in the World commercials. They had a good thing going, but then they fire him and then try to replace him. The new guy doesn't live up to the standard in my book. If they felt the need to get rid of the old one, they should have just found a new line of commercials.

Same goes for KFC. I find the modern day Harland Sanders actors not befitting the memory of the real Harland Sanders. The commercials seem to make fun of him. I find it disrespectful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 01:01 pm:

Ultimately, we all face "The Challenge of Change!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 01:03 pm:

Hal,

All of those characters are still far better than that upsetting, non-verbal Burger King creep. What was that all about?!?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 03:01 pm:

Jerry: Thanks, I did not want to have to explain it.:-) Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 04:40 am:

Hal, Jerry, and Dan, :-) :-) :-) Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 09:49 pm:

My ECCT came in today's mail. Before I received it, I got an email from Mike, informing me that I was being credited $10.40 for freight, as the actual cost was less than the estimate. After reading the instructions and watching Mike's videos, I tried an extra set of coils that had been running in my car when Dad owned it. They all failed the capacitor test. Then I pulled the coils out of my car that I purchased rebuilt a few years ago, locally. My car has been running great for three years on these coils, including three OCF's, and a couple hundred miles per summer. It pulls okay at low speed, and I have GPS checked it to 47 MPH. This is a '27 Fordor with a ten tooth pinion, Scat crank, Stipe 280 cam, vaporizer carburetor, and Ford standard iron pistons. All four coils were at the end of the scale for dwell time to fire, and three of them were double sparking. After 20 minutes of coil tinkering at the kitchen table, I have them all tuned. The ECCT is very simple to use, and Mike's instructions are great. I will update tomorrow after the test drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 10:01 pm:

I don't always order beer, but when I do they've never heard of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 10:08 am:

I am pleased with the ECCT. Our car is running much smoother than it ever has. The idle is much more even, it sounds more like a modern engine. It was noticeable as soon it fired up. I didn't think a T was supposed to run this good :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 12:23 pm:

As compared to what? Were your coils newly rebuilt and adjusted on one of the other machines and the ECCT made it run even better? Or are you comparing ECCT adjusted coils to old original coils? Did your coils have new points and condenser installed and then set up using the ECCT?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 12:28 pm:

Hey, we're all glad you have your T running good! Maybe it was just because you figured out how to adjust the spark. hee hee

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 12:33 pm:

Now you sound like an advertisement for the ECCT Hal. Three ECCT mentions in 4 sentences. You're on a roll......with the ECCT huh, Hal

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 01:10 pm:

Just trying to gain an understanding, Gary. I've asked these same kinds of questions before, but cannot seem to get an answer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 01:12 pm:

Hal,

Ed pretty much answered all your questions in his 11/7, 9:49PM posting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 01:20 pm:

My coils had been rebuilt and set up on a HCCT by an experienced T business four years ago, so I cannot say that they are better than freshly rebuilt and tuned coils.
My point is, that I was happy with how the car performed before the ECCT, and now its's noticeably better. During the Jamboree of T's in Escananba this year I was climbing the tallest hill, still accelerating in high. As our group approached the top, the cars in front of us dropped into low. Wayne Funk's pie wagon was directly in front of me, so these weren't junkers. :-) I'd love to run that grade today with my ECCT tuned coils, and nobody in front of me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 01:21 pm:

Ed,

That was a great tour! Glad you were there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 01:33 pm:

Me too, Jerry! I missed the best day of touring because I didn't trust my generator and didn't want to drive in the rain without headlights. I replaced the generator as soon as we got home from the tour, and today I found the rest of the story.
I wanted to take the car into town to go to the polls, and it wouldn't start. Charged the battery for two hours and tested it, and it had a bad cell. $93.00 later, I fulfilled my civic duty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 04:51 pm:

Thanks Ed and Jerry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 10:29 am:

When all is said and done, the choice of what method you use to set your coils, whether using a HCCT, a Strobo-spark, an ECCT, or a battery powered buzz box, it comes down to "Whatever floats your boat." Good running T coils can be obtained from using any of those methods. Well, maybe any of the first three methods for sure.

Respectfully submitted,

Trent Boggess

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration