Piston appearance

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Piston appearance
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Lawson-Kingston,TN on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 10:54 pm:

I removed the head and noticed that #2 piston looked dry and sooty on the top of the pistons and the other ones looked slightly wet from gas and oil. Is this normal for one to look different?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 07:40 am:

Obviously something is wrong. All should look the same. Why did you remove the head?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Lawson-Kingston,TN on Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 07:57 am:

Had broken magnets plates so I removed the engine and figured this was a good time to go through it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Dill on Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 09:11 am:

Looking only through the spark plug holes, I have 2 pistons, dry and barely sooty. The other 2 are oily / gunky / not great looking. And the biggest concern - a little gelled green globs in one of the dirty ones (anti-freeze green). Head bolts weren't very tight so I re-torqued to 45 ft/lbs (per forum comments for Alum Z head). I haven't had a chance to restart the car because of a few other issues I'm chasing down. I'm hopeful the messy pistons were just due to loose bolts.

Please post what happens on your project. I'm learning all the time and hope that it might help me sort out my issue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 09:16 am:

#2 might have had a misfire, leaving behind soot from an overly rich mixture. Check out the valves and other things while you're in there. If you don't find any particular problems I wouldn't worry about it. Especially if the car has been running really well.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration