Drive shaft tube question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Drive shaft tube question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Benedict, Humboldt, TN on Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 07:08 am:

I pulled my rear end assembly from my 26 coupe yesterday to install a Ruckstell unit. I noticed that the drive shaft tube is a straight taper from the rear to the front. The tube that come on my Ruckstell has 3 step downs on the tube in order to reduce the diameter from rear to front. What year would this tube have fit? Probably not an issue but just curious about the difference. My original rear had both babbit thrust washers in place and in good shape. Free to good home if any purist interested. Not many good ones around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 08:40 am:

Noone seems to know exactly when or why Ford used the stepped drive shaft housing, but many are seen on 1926 cars, I think. There were many regular conical drive shaft tubes too installed in 1926, so the stepped ones were only used on part of production. Maybe a new way to manufacture them was being tested, or maybe they were sourced from some outside supplier as so many other parts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 08:46 am:

Rodda's Volume I says the stepped tube was used in late production, beginning perhaps in 1924. It was used concurrently with the straight-side tube. I don't know why.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 10:26 am:

I used to own a March 1926. It had a stepped tube.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 09:58 pm:

And another closely related variation I have never seen a clear answer to. In addition to the stepped taper, and the most common half-straight, half gradual taper, there were some torque tubes that had an even taper the full length (well, almost the full length, not where the U-joint ball is).
One past thread speculated that it may have been an after-market cheapo replacement, whereas the stepped toque tube has been verified as used by Ford, probably mostly late, but not on all cars.
I do have most of one of the long-taper torque tubes (I think I can find it if anybody wants to come by and look it over). But it is not in good shape. Many years ago, I bought a whole rear end for very cheap. It had clearly been in a T that had been wrecked, but had some parts I could use. The torque tube was more than a little bent. And eventually, I cut the pinion end off of it to repair an otherwise usable torque tube. But most of it is still behind my shed, broken ball and bent just like it was when I got it.
I have only seen and heard of a few others like it.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 10:03 pm:

I am wondering if Bob B is talking about a torque tube like this?
As for the "free" Babbitt thrust washers? I already have several good ones. So you don't need to mail them to me!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration