100 year old plaques

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 100 year old plaques
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, October 28, 2016 - 10:30 am:

I wonder about those plaques that say This Car is 100 Years old? If you passed basic math, and know the year of the car, then it should be a no brainer. For me, the problem is covering my nice wood firewall with a plate! It's a matter of choice I guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, October 28, 2016 - 11:14 am:

I have year of make California 1915 plates on our 1915 roadster and always get asked what year the car is....Go Figure!

The one that gets me is being asked "Are you the original owner?" :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Friday, October 28, 2016 - 11:27 am:

You're correct, Jay, Most average Americans don't know a Model T from any other old car, much less a 15 from a 16, or a 17 from a 21. They look at a license plate and think, Is that really the first plate issued to that car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, October 28, 2016 - 02:12 pm:

I agree with you Larry...I have two plaques out of a possible three, but they're still sitting in the basement on the workbench in their envelopes. I like looking at as much uncluttered beautiful cherry stained wood as I can!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Friday, October 28, 2016 - 03:14 pm:

I wired mine to the radiator fins. True, folks should be able to "do the math" but I don't think the age factor really hits most of people until they read it on the plaque. The thing that gets me is that most other "antiques" (furniture, glasswear, etc) are not classified as antiques until they are 100 years old. The other thing is that most refurbishment of antiques devaluates them. That has not generally been the case with vehicles but it seems we are seeing the tide change towards unrestored vehicles commanding higher dollar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Friday, October 28, 2016 - 09:06 pm:

Jay, that's a fair question. Some of us look like we could be the original owners . . . 142 and still drivin' !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 12:18 am:

Gee, I was afraid we were talking about really old dental problems!100-year-old Plaque! Yech!
I think most folks today don't relate the car, or year of the plates to the amount of time that has gone by, therefore the plaques stating "100 Years Old" do serve a good purpose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 04:34 am:

What I always get is the question...what year is you Jeep? That's why I put one of those "Ford" scripts on my radiator, hoping that they would notice and not ask me that particular question. Year though, I get asked that no matter that I've got one of those year plates on my radiator and my license plates are YOM's 1922, but everybody notices they are a little odd looking, but since it is the same color as today's plates they don't seem to notice there's no sun in the background and still ask after the year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 04:48 am:

I've resorted to using this type of plate on the front axles of my cars....

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration