Old Photo - Behind The Parts Counter

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Behind The Parts Counter
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, October 28, 2016 - 11:34 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Friday, October 28, 2016 - 11:39 am:

"A Franklin Roosevelt look-a-like visits the grand opening of a neighborhood store so the owner could impress the neighbors"

With all the wishbones behind the counter they must have bent a lot of them on the rough roads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Eddie on Friday, October 28, 2016 - 03:30 pm:

What do you suppose "Weed Chains" are? display at the right side

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, October 28, 2016 - 03:32 pm:

Tire chains, Weed is the name of the manufacturer. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Friday, October 28, 2016 - 04:36 pm:

i guess they are wishbones. but seam to long,charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, October 28, 2016 - 06:56 pm:

I'm with you Charley, they look way too long to be wishbones, but the ball end certainly looks like it! What else could they be?

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Friday, October 28, 2016 - 07:37 pm:

Perhaps it's just an optical illusion that the wishbones look long or they maybe sitting up on another box on the floor behind the counter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, October 28, 2016 - 07:55 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Friday, October 28, 2016 - 11:59 pm:

Me thinks not Roosevelt but more like "Givem Hell Harry" Truman.

Weed chains were the 1st manufacture of tire chains. They set the standard for others to follow.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 02:15 am:

The balls on those wishbones are too big for a T. I think they are for later cars. What is the device on the counter on the right with the grillwork? It says Standard on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 07:15 am:

The device on the counter with the grills looks like a copy receipt register. Different copies of the receipt were printed at the same time. One for the customer and one stayed in the machine so the owner/bookkeeper had a copy to report sales and keep track of inventory. It helped to keep employees honest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 08:54 am:

the tubes are not flat like on latter cars, dont see anything else latter in the store. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 01:44 pm:

Weed Chains are still the standard for those who drive in snow! Yes, that's a patented receipt machine, does three copies, one for the customer, one for the store and one that stays in the machine for the bookkeeper. It was an anti-theft (of money) device, to keep the clerks honest. That's one of the fanciest cases for one I've seen, later ones were stamped metal, and in common use up to the 1970s.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 04:54 pm:

Google search weed chains, see what comes up

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 06:00 pm:

I think that the factory installed bumper on my '27 Paige is a Weed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Menkhaus on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 09:27 am:

Taylor Communications was founded as Standard Register Co. in Dayton, Ohio in 1912. Brothers John and William Sherman, along with local Dayton inventor Theodore Shirmer, founded the company to sell the pinfeed autographic register, a device invented by Shirmer. The device enabled multiple copies of printed forms to be fed through the machine using a hand-cranked wooden cylinder.[2] Over the next century, Standard Register rose to prominence as one of the largest printed communications companies in the United States. [3]

They were bought by Taylor Communications after declaring bankruptcy a few years ago..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 09:44 am:

I think all those bags next to the wishbones probably contain the Weed tire chains.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 11:07 am:

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration