Suggested sealant for solid copper head gasket

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Suggested sealant for solid copper head gasket
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, October 28, 2016 - 12:42 pm:

If you are installing a solid copper head gasket I suggest that the best sealant is "Hylomar Blue" in a spray can

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 12:24 am:

I have had very good luck with aluminum paint

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 07:07 am:

Copper Coat. I've used it many times on all kinds of different head gaskets and it always works well. I also make darn sure the head bolt threads are clean and coated with anti-seize compound to help achieve uniform torque readings. Any one can achieve good results replacing head gaskets any one of a number of ways. Just have to make sure the mating surfaces are clean, flat, free of flaws, and properly torqued.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 10:05 am:

I think Les is talking SOLID COPPER, I totally agree with him. Les did you make your own or find a supplier? Last solid copper gasket I used was in the Navy years ago, anneal and reuse. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 10:12 am:

Keith
These are new. Being CNC water jet cut from soft annealed solid copper.
I'm not interested in arguing about sealants. Just stating the results of many years of industrial experience. Others are welcome to have different opinions

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 12:30 pm:

We use Hylomar Blue on the solid head gasket on our Gemsa race engine. Works great. We had to O-ring the block and use a custom made solid gasket because the .130" over bore left only about 1/4" between the cylinders. No leaks with the Hylomar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 08:40 pm:

Since an engine rebuilder friend suggested Hylomar I've used it with never a failure.
That goes for using head gaskets a second time as well if they looked good.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration