Coil box question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Coil box question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, October 28, 2016 - 03:35 pm:

My '21 Touring that was probably, as we have already determined, not a starter % generator car originally, still has the remains of the old switch on the coil box. I want to remove it as a switch has been added in the dash, where a electric start car would have had it. If I remove the switch would the coil box be the same just with some extra holes in the front. Have mercy on me if this is a dumb question.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Friday, October 28, 2016 - 03:43 pm:

Yes, it would be the same except for the holes and different wiring, which can be removed and re-wired correctly. But really, since you're dealing with quite common parts here, why not swap the earlier box for a later one? Worst case scenario, buy the correct box. Readily available.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, October 28, 2016 - 03:57 pm:

Actually I just ordered one , buy it now , on Ebay. It will probably need to be rebuilt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, October 28, 2016 - 04:05 pm:

Put the Fun Projects kit in it and you'll be in tall cotton.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Friday, October 28, 2016 - 04:57 pm:

What's used to make that insert. Looks like you could make that pretty easily with a table saw and a drill press.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Friday, October 28, 2016 - 05:24 pm:

Indeed, you can !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 03:50 pm:

[URL=http://s738.photobucket.com/user/thomc1957/media/downsize61_zpsc4cpriyq.jpg.html][IMG]http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx24/thomc1957/downsize61_zpsc4cpriyq.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
I had my son bid on a coil box on Ebay and I had forgotten about it. It showed up today. So problem with unwanted switch solved. Just gotta rebuild it or transfer parts from my existing one to this one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 08:09 pm:

Man, that's one confused car...a hood former with a low radiator and shell...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 08:25 am:

Yeah, the hood former has been removed. I don't know why the previous owner spent $185.00 for it unless he(or she) had plans to convert the car to a brass radiator car. Probably not, just got carried away ordering parts? The car will not be a 100% restoration and there may be other parts that don't "belong" on it.
Someone has offered to buy the hood former or send me a Lang's gift certificate for it. I can get a lot of small parts that I need then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 08:19 am:

Ok, I now have the correct coil box for a starter/generator equipped car. I have looked at wiring diagrams for starter and non-starter cars to figure out what to do with the wires that are attached to the switch on the old coil box. I know this has been discussed on here before , but I'm still not sure what to do with the wires. Can anyone sum it up for an old man ? thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 10:25 am:

Tommy when you acquired your T were the wiring harness's already replaced with new one's?

If they just 'look good' I would replace all the wiring with new harnesses from the vendors. It fairly easy to replace all of them and they aren't that expensive.

There are 3 main harnesses. The switch plate (ignition switch),coilbox and the timer harnesses. Then you can add the spark plug, amp to switch wire and the lighting wires.
Get a Langs catalog and go by the 19-25 starter cars wiring section. Use that as a guide for what you need. Get a wiring diagram to go by.

They are color coded so you cant go wrong. And besides if you do this you'll be learning about your T's electrical system. Its pretty simple.

Install your starter coil box and get you a good dash mounted switch plate and you ready to start wiring your car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 06:09 am:

I believe I now know how to finish my conversion to a "switchless" coil box.
[URL=http://s738.photobucket.com/user/thomc1957/media/1105160517_zpsleewvclb.jpg.html][IMG]http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx24/thomc1957/1105160517_zpsleewvclb.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
I think all I have left to do is make the connection from the post on the lower, drivers side of the box, viewed from the engine side of the firewall, to the strip in the bottom of the box, that all the coils contact. Is that right? The post that was the lower passengers side on the firewall went with the old switch and coil box.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration