Questions sought on charging Magnets with a DC welder

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Questions sought on charging Magnets with a DC welder
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Friday, October 28, 2016 - 08:34 pm:

I would like detailed information about using a DC welder & field coil ring to charge installed magnets on a transmission that is out of the model T. The magnets were removed, cleaned, tossed around with gusto looking for cracks/breaks in the magnet. They were then charged using a known working magnet charger using 3 12 volt, 600 plus cranking amp car battery's. Correctly re-installed on the transmission based on the numbers placed on them during disassembly & polarity determine by a working compass for assurance of correct placement. The charge was confirmed using a 3 pound metal bar that was lifted and held by each magnet. The transmission was then place (3 months) on the shelf, on blocks of wood until we finished building the block. Last week we began assembly and prior to fitting the transmission we checked the magnets. To our surprise they had very little magnetism. So instead of repeating that again we'd like to try the DC WELDER & field coil method. We've got know clue, well maybe a little, on how to do it. If you know how please help us out. This is sort of an urgent matter due to the health of one of the owners involved. Be as detailed as you can be, I don't want to screw this up. Thanks so much. John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, October 28, 2016 - 11:02 pm:

John-
I have charged my magneto magnets with a DC welder and it works great. Follow all the regular procedure. Set the field coil over the magnets. I used the lowest setting, I think 180 amps (?) Hold the negative on the top connection and for the positive, put a welding rod in the holder and zap the cast iron frame. It just takes one zap.

Make sure you have the N/S in the right position.

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, October 28, 2016 - 11:07 pm:

My friend, Terry Horlick, 'spains it with pictures here:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/634393.html?1460849348

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Skingley ......Westland, Michigan on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 06:49 am:

I have done it with the DC welder and put the positive on the post and grounded to a nut on the Hogs head. Four or five quick grounding taps move the fly wheel repeat at new N-S ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 10:24 am:

Thanks ever so much. ? Does it matter if the frame of the field coil has the positive or negative lead attached as long as the coil and transmission are aligned for correct polarity?
Thanks again John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 10:27 am:

The frame should be negative as in the drawing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 10:55 am:

In my experience loss of magnetism after a few months is due to not charging the magnets in the same polarity as they were done originally. Not sure just why but that is my experience. So be VERY careful in making sure you are magnetising the magnets to the same polarity as they were done originally.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 08:22 pm:

Thanks to all, that was just about the easiest and quickest recharge I've ever done. It required using a small crow bar to remove the field coil and move it two magnets over until back to the first position. Thanks to eat and every one. John

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration