Largest Ford Museum to Close

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Largest Ford Museum to Close
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 10:07 am:

A friend just posted this on Facebook:

https://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2016/10/27/worlds-largest-ford-museum-to-clo se-may-sell-entire-collection-at-once/

I visited this museum about 15 years ago. Sorry to see it close.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 11:08 am:

Glad I made it there earlier this year. Has a lot of really good stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 11:18 am:

Holy Cow! What a shame. Wish I was rich..enough enough to buy just one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 04:16 pm:

Well I'm not surprised at that, Piet's family said it wanted to sell up just after he died.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 06:46 pm:

Sad, but even a
museum is a business...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 06:50 pm:

Let's hope some of those great early cars find their way to American roads. And actually get used. Not sad at all, a great opportunity for people like us around the world. I'm sure you all know they have an early model k and a Model b. Hope Rob Heyen knows it will be for sale!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 06:55 pm:

Too bad. If you notice the reason for selling in the add,this is unfortunately what happens when the older generation slowly disappears from the scene. Lack of interest and wanting to attract the next generation in trying to move up to post war cars and probably the 50's 60's and 70's cars which is probably the most popular these days. The guys who grew up in the 50's thru 70's are the old guys now. Just ask your grandkids.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 10:04 pm:

Normandy Tank Museum closed it's doors and auctioned off all it's authentic WWII vehicles and equiptment.
Sad when no one is interested in something as important as WWII.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3755616/Your-chance-WWII-tank-French-mus eum-selling-historic-collection-didn-t-visitors.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 12:00 am:

They also have a couple of couplets and at least one town car

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 11:53 am:

This is , bar none, one of the best and most complete Ford car museums in the world. I've been there several times and also attended events there. Maybe one of you RICH guys ought to buy it! Obviously not a money maker but a wonderful display...maybe theFord museum in Michigan should buy it?Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 12:49 pm:

Some years ago my brother and I were vintage racing at Donnington here in the UK. We went to look round the racing car museum - halfway round my brother stopped dead in his tracks and said 'This is a mausoleum, all these cars are dead. There are live ones out there on the track, let's go watch them'

That's a bit how I felt at Den Hartog. Lots of the cars were on axle stands with no air in their tyres, obviously not run for a long time. Standing in front of the vintage Lincoln display, I looked behind me at the rows of cars and thought it would take a week to move things round to get a Lincoln out for a drive.

I think it will be good for the collection to be broken up and the cars 'released back into the wild' where people may drive them. I'm not a fan of static museums, as opposed to collections like Leno's where the owner gets out and uses them.

If they have an auction, I'll probably scoot over there, just to look. Although if there's a Model K coming up, my wife may have to impound my cheque book.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 11:54 pm:

Interesting, when I was selling my collection of model t race cars, they were interested in my "real" Fronty single stick dirt track car. They wasted a lot of my time with correspondence and the need for photos and shipping information, which I provided.

The price was discussed and was fair for the rarity and condition, this car was the real deal original and very complete fully restored and running. After several weeks of back and forth, they informed me because they were the largest Ford collection in the world, it would be in my best interest to donate the car to them as they did not pay for cars. Needless to say I suggested they go pound sand and waste someone else's time.

just sayin,

brasscarguy

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration