Chrome Plating

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Chrome Plating
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Perigo - Linton, IN on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 02:44 pm:

Is there a business that does chrome plating in the Indianapolis area?

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 04:27 pm:

Yes,but your pockets aren't that deep.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 04:59 pm:

If it's something that goes on a Model T, it should be nickel plated, not chrome.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 07:13 pm:

Here! here! Steve. There's probably something that looks more out of place on a T, but I can't think of it right now.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 09:57 pm:

Don't do it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 10:05 pm:

Maybe there is a shop somewhere,that actually does good Nickle plating that looks right and will hold up. I know Ken ,in Texas does,but he can't do the large pieces. The other platers I have tried,fall somewhat South of the task.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Saxon on Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 06:12 am:

I posted awhile back about plating recommendations and ended up sending some parts to Illinois. If you look up the thread, there were a number of companies recommended.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Alexander in Albion, Maine on Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 07:09 am:

My understanding from past experience is that a good chrome shop also does nickel as the final plating before the chrome is nickel. But the above folks are correct, no chrome on a T except, perhaps, repop items.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 11:02 am:

Nickel and/or chrome plating is the same price in Maryland.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Barrancotta on Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 12:04 pm:

I can personally recommend Paul's Chrome in Evans City, PA.
http://www.paulschrome.com/
I have been working with them to restore and bright nickel plate components of my '25 Ahrens-Fox fire engine. Their work is impeccable and their prices are competitive. You can email them pictures of the items you want to have plated, and they will respond with an estimate. I like the fact that all incoming parts are cataloged and photographed. They do require 50% down to start work and final payment before return shipping. Turnaround times have been running about 8 weeks for me. I can post some before/after photos if you are interested, but they have accurate examples on their website.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 12:33 pm:

Here in Ca. To get only nickel plating done is much cheaper than chrome.
I once had a pair of model A headlights done and complained that they did them in chrome when a '28 should be nickel plated.
They just "washed" the chrome plating off and I got them back in nickel.
When I got work done here in Hayward they charged me a lot of green folding for chrome but on small nickel items they would just ask me to bring a 6 pack by!
It is my understanding that they have to nickel plate an item before it can be chromed.?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 07:18 pm:

Aaron is correct. The proper sequence for chrome plating is copper, nickel, chrome. Shortcuts can be taken. I suspect a nickel finish job may have a thicker layer applied if there is no chrome to go over it.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 11:57 pm:

T era Nickel plating had to be polished after plating to be shiny. The nickel was put on fairly thick to allow for the polishing. Modern Nickel is aerated during plating and is shiny right out of the vat. Because it is going to be overplated with Chrome (which is translucent blue colored) it is not applied as thick. If you want nickel, be sure to ask for "extra-thick" so it provided enough corrosion protection to last.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 12:03 am:

Some chrome shops have a bad reputation for getting parts mixed up and giving them to the wrong customers.
I have not had it happen but some of my customers have.
One spent more than the cars was worth when it was finished he he never was able to find a trunk handle to replace the one the chrome shop lost for the '49 Windsor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 10:36 am:

'At's why I wanted a brass T !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Flora on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 12:18 pm:

Try Qual Krom in Erie Pa for Nickel plating. Excellent work and fair prices.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration