Low pedal "shakes" when driving in high

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Low pedal "shakes" when driving in high
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary M. Wheeler on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 03:55 pm:

Do I need to be concerned with the low pedal "shaking" (rapidly moving about 1/2" total movement) when I shift into high gear? Could it be rubbing on something inside the transmission causing this? Or not releasing completely? Or just normal?
Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 04:19 pm:

Gary, I'm no expert, but I believe that is not normal and should be corrected right away. Possibly you my have something worn or loose in the linkage.

Hope this helps,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 12:59 am:

I suspect maybe one of your three clutch fingers is not at the same adjustment as the other two. I'd start by looking at the linkage on the outside; but then pull the trans cover and see what's going on with the clutch fingers and everything at that end of the transmission on the inside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 03:44 pm:

Would the engine be running on less than 4 cylinders? A vibrating engine could cause the pedals to vibrate. Other than that, possibility of clutch problems. When you shift into high, push the gas all the way up and then as the clutch makes connection give it more gas. If the engine is going too fast when you shift into high, the clutch will slip. That is a possible cause. It slips and grabs trying to make connection. Anyway, try slowing the engine to idle as you shift from low to high, then give it gas after the clutch connects. Another thing which will cause the clutch to slip is having the parking brake rods adjusted too long. They will hold the lever from going all the way forward and the clutch will not engage unless you push the parking brake lever forward.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 04:56 pm:

You could also check your band adjustment. Maybe the low band is too tight and is trying to grab the drum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 05:06 pm:

GaryY Well it is said by the old timer's about the Model T's there is a rattle in them old car's.

Here is what I heard in the later part of the 40's, is when I was growing up in Missouri!

You can tell the difference between a Model T and a rattlesnake!!!The difference is that on a Rattlesnake you could/can count the rattle's but you cannot count them on a Model T, and I think goes for all the shaking part's.

I hope for my sake that everyone agrees!!!!!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary M. Wheeler on Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 05:18 pm:

It's definitely the clutch lever "bobbin" a little under there. I watched it today with the rear tire jacked up. That little movement translates to the pedal moving up and down an inch. But it's when you pull back on the pedal. When I shortened the link a turn, it seems better but you can feel that "throbbing" when you pull back on the pedal. Weird

So, there seems to be a "happy spot" but if the pedal comes up a little bit more the shaking begins.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 05:51 pm:

Gary you have a problem with your transmission. The pedal is merely a symptom of a larger problem. I don't know the technical name for it but it is essentially the "throw out bearing" for the T's transmission - it shouldn't be moving like that. I strongly recommend further investigation of the transmission before you drive any more. Otherwise something much bigger and more important is going to break.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 05:54 pm:

I suspect you are getting a little clutch chatter when you shift. You might make a smoother shift if you backed off the clutch fingers half a turn. On the other hand it might make your clutch slip a bit.

I don't think the pedal moving is fatal and I would not stay up at night worrying about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary M. Wheeler on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 09:10 am:

Seth.. I think you have it. This is what I think is going on also, but I don't know how to diagnose it. Maybe if I hand crank it over while someone looks inside the transmission to see if there is a "high spot" or maybe something is out of round internally?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 11:18 am:

Aside from adjusting the link after the fact, did you make any other adjustments before hand or is this something that you just had not noticed before?

Ok I know this is very remote; could one of the pins in the clutch ring have come out or snapped off? They are just pressed in. With the cover off crank the engine over. You should be able to see them stick thru the drive plate with it in neutral.
Good chance adjusting the fingers to correct distance might be all it needs.

(Message edited by redmodelt on October 31, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 02:20 pm:

Gary - I would check your clutch fingers first and foremost. I think that one of them is probably much higher or much lower than the other two.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary M. Wheeler on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 07:20 pm:

I got the car with a '27 engine in it. I had the original '14 engine rebuilt and balanced and it runs sweet. But it has had this "shake" on the rebuilt engine since the first road test. The '27 low/high pedal didn't shake around like this one does.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration